Fit FREAK.net

Go Back   Unofficial Honda FIT Forums > The Honda Fit and Jazz Forums > 2nd Generation (GE 08-present)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums FAQ iTrader Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read ExperienceUsed CarsVendor Directory
Welcome to Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

2nd Generation (GE 08-present) The New Fit... Generation specific talk and questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 02:55 PM

monkeykevin is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 358, Level: 7 Points: 358, Level: 7 Points: 358, Level: 7
Level up: 16%, 42 Points needed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Daily Activity: 0%
Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0%
Question Snow Chains?

Can you use any snow chains on the 2009 Fit Sport? if so which kind and where could I get some good ones.

I hear you cant use chains on low profile tires, is that true?
Sponsored Links
Registered users do not see this ad.
Click here to register for free!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member

Virtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 1,180, Level: 18 Points: 1,180, Level: 18 Points: 1,180, Level: 18
Level up: 80%, 20 Points needed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
If you need extreme snow and ice traction then get some high quality studded winter tires like Nokian.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Banned

iKONA636 iKONA636 iKONA636 iKONA636 iKONA636 iKONA636 iKONA636 iKONA636 iKONA636 iKONA636 iKONA636
Id never use snow chains. My friend had one snap on him on a highway drive. I have no clue how those snap but then when he got out of the car he saw that the chains were hitting the wheel wells and fenders the whole ride. Winter tires are a safer bet.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:55 PM

txmatt relies on Rep Points to livetxmatt relies on Rep Points to livetxmatt relies on Rep Points to livetxmatt relies on Rep Points to livetxmatt relies on Rep Points to livetxmatt relies on Rep Points to livetxmatt relies on Rep Points to livetxmatt relies on Rep Points to livetxmatt relies on Rep Points to livetxmatt relies on Rep Points to livetxmatt relies on Rep Points to live
from the owner's manual...

"For the best performance in snowy
or icy conditions, you should install
snow tires or tire chains. They may
be required by local laws under
certain conditions."

and

"Tire Chains

Mount tire chains on your tires when
required by driving conditions or local
laws. Install them only on the front
tires.

Because your vehicle has limited tire
clearance, Honda strongly
recommends using the chains listed
below, made by Security Chain
Company (SCC).

All models except Sport
SC1026
Sport model
SC1030

When installing cables, follow the
manufacturer's instructions, and
mount them as tight as you can. Make
sure they are not contacting the brake
lines or suspension. Drive slowly with
them installed. If you hear them
coming into contact with the body or
chassis, stop and investigate. Remove
them as soon as you begin driving on
cleared roads."
Old 11-26-2008, 09:59 PM

ricohman relies on Rep Points to livericohman relies on Rep Points to livericohman relies on Rep Points to livericohman relies on Rep Points to livericohman relies on Rep Points to livericohman relies on Rep Points to livericohman relies on Rep Points to livericohman relies on Rep Points to livericohman relies on Rep Points to livericohman relies on Rep Points to livericohman relies on Rep Points to live
People use them where I live but if one cable lets go kiss your paint goodbye.
I am going to run a dedicated winter tire.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member

Stormtrooper relies on Rep Points to liveStormtrooper relies on Rep Points to liveStormtrooper relies on Rep Points to liveStormtrooper relies on Rep Points to liveStormtrooper relies on Rep Points to liveStormtrooper relies on Rep Points to liveStormtrooper relies on Rep Points to liveStormtrooper relies on Rep Points to liveStormtrooper relies on Rep Points to liveStormtrooper relies on Rep Points to liveStormtrooper relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 1,727, Level: 24 Points: 1,727, Level: 24 Points: 1,727, Level: 24
Level up: 27%, 73 Points needed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Daily Activity: 5.3%
Daily Activity: 5.3% Daily Activity: 5.3% Daily Activity: 5.3%
anyone try this?

AutoSock

Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 PM

halfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 928, Level: 16 Points: 928, Level: 16 Points: 928, Level: 16
Level up: 28%, 72 Points needed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Daily Activity: 0.3%
Daily Activity: 0.3% Daily Activity: 0.3% Daily Activity: 0.3%
Chains are one of life's great pains in the ass. I'd avoid them if at all possible, and use dedicated winters or (gak) studs.
Moon
Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 AM

mintec is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 356, Level: 7 Points: 356, Level: 7 Points: 356, Level: 7
Level up: 12%, 44 Points needed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
My friend took his 2007 Civic Si to Reno and was required to install snow chains in the mountain. He bought regular snow chains from the installer on the side of the road. He drove maybe an hour and a half with the chains on. No damage to his tires and wheels. His tire size is 215-45-17's. So I don't think snow chains will cause any damage to the stock fit tires and wheels if properly installed. Also he was driving around 25 mph for the whole duration with the chains on.

Last edited by mintec; 12-15-2008 at 05:06 PM..
Old 12-15-2008, 12:22 PM

halfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to livehalfmoonclip relies on Rep Points to live
Chains, like many things, are okay when properly installed and functioning; if anything goes wrong, it goes really wrong. There is a basis for the time honored expression 'getting it wrapped around the axle.'
I realize there are times they are required in the mountains out West, but I'd avoid 'em if you can.
Moon
Old 12-15-2008, 12:39 PM

TheSaint has a spectacular aura aboutTheSaint has a spectacular aura about
Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5
Level up: 46%, 27 Points needed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper View Post
anyone try this?

Click the image to open in full size.AutoSock
Yep. They work reasonably well in moderate conditions. Do NOT use them on bare pavement. They wear out in just a few miles if you do. They are only intended for use in the snow and ice. But they go on and off very easily, so it is not problem to stop and remove them when you come to a bare pavement.

They are not good for extreme conditions. We have a set for my Mother's car. She rarely drives anywhere in the winter ( she is 86 and afraid to drive in slick conditions, so I take her where she needs to go), so they are just for emergency purposes. If she drove in any slick conditions at all, I'd buy her snow tires...
Old 12-15-2008, 05:40 PM

SRLNCLT relies on Rep Points to liveSRLNCLT relies on Rep Points to liveSRLNCLT relies on Rep Points to liveSRLNCLT relies on Rep Points to liveSRLNCLT relies on Rep Points to liveSRLNCLT relies on Rep Points to liveSRLNCLT relies on Rep Points to liveSRLNCLT relies on Rep Points to liveSRLNCLT relies on Rep Points to liveSRLNCLT relies on Rep Points to liveSRLNCLT relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 434, Level: 8 Points: 434, Level: 8 Points: 434, Level: 8
Level up: 68%, 16 Points needed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Daily Activity: 1.0%
Daily Activity: 1.0% Daily Activity: 1.0% Daily Activity: 1.0%
Get a set of the JDM chains.
03 element k24
Old 12-16-2008, 05:35 PM

podom is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 223, Level: 4 Points: 223, Level: 4 Points: 223, Level: 4
On the amazon page for the SC1030, there's a pretty positive review from a person that bought them for his Fit.

That review also mentions that Thule makes chains that are listed as fitting the 185/55-16 tire size, the CS10 075. They're Thule's best (most expensive) chains), but they look great. I decided to order some, and I'll post more when I get them and try putting them on.

I had a pair of SCC chains for my old Protege. They worked fine, but were nothing special. The design, with cables that go only straight across from one side to the other, makes them very loud and rough on ice or patches of dry pavement (they're fine in snow, though).
Old 12-20-2008, 09:40 PM

I put the Thule chains on today. They've worked very well so far, but I haven't driven that much. Portland's gotten an unprecedented 6" of snow today! OK, it's not Minnesota or anything

They're easy to put on, but it made me a little nervous--chain near new paint! Here are a couple of pictures:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 PM

My alternative to chains is sitting in the garage; it's called a Jeep TJ....if it gets THAT bad, the Honda stays home.
Moon
Old 12-20-2008, 10:26 PM

Daemione relies on Rep Points to liveDaemione relies on Rep Points to liveDaemione relies on Rep Points to liveDaemione relies on Rep Points to liveDaemione relies on Rep Points to liveDaemione relies on Rep Points to liveDaemione relies on Rep Points to liveDaemione relies on Rep Points to liveDaemione relies on Rep Points to liveDaemione relies on Rep Points to liveDaemione relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 1,684, Level: 23 Points: 1,684, Level: 23 Points: 1,684, Level: 23
Level up: 84%, 16 Points needed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
I've been daily driving in winter weather for 14 years in a row now - northern NH, central PA, western NY, MI, and now southern CT . . . long hills, steep hills, mountains, dirt roads, unplowed roads, etc. 7 of those winters have been on a lowered Prelude - and with a decent set of snow tires, I've never gotten in an accident, never gotten stuck, and certainly never felt a need for chains or cables. :shrug:

The only purpose I can see behind chains might be for someone who drives up a snow-covered mountain road on a ski trip once or twice a year.

Oh - just bought an '07 Fit on Wednesday, and the OEM tires are . . . adequate, but only just. Tirerack will be delivering a set of 14" rims & winter tires on Monday.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:24 PM

I was considering buying a set of wheels and snow tires, but the problem is that I live in a place that, some winters, gets no snow at all. For ~$800, it just doesn't seem worth it for the rare occasions that I have to drive on snow (like going up to Mt. Hood to snowboard if the roads aren't cleared).

The storm we're having in Portland right now has dropped as much as a foot, along with some freezing rain, and I would be completely out of luck getting around (if I have to) without chains. However, this happens about once every 5 years.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:46 PM

StewPiddass has a spectacular aura aboutStewPiddass has a spectacular aura aboutStewPiddass has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by podom View Post
I put the Thule chains on today. They've worked very well so far, but I haven't driven that much. Portland's gotten an unprecedented 6" of snow today! OK, it's not Minnesota or anything

They're easy to put on, but it made me a little nervous--chain near new paint! Here are a couple of pictures:

I can't imagine any conditions that I'd need something like that for... We've gotten about 2' of snow since Friday and I've been having a blast in my new '09 Fit (with snow tires)
Old 12-27-2008, 12:23 AM

wskwong is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKONA636 View Post
Id never use snow chains. My friend had one snap on him on a highway drive. I have no clue how those snap but then when he got out of the car he saw that the chains were hitting the wheel wells and fenders the whole ride. Winter tires are a safer bet.
Highway? I thought the max speed on those things are 30 mph.....
Old 12-27-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wskwong View Post
Highway? I thought the max speed on those things are 30 mph.....
In theory...actually, once they're on, it may be another issue.
I remember a ride in a '56 Ford with a chain end loose; made an awful clank every turn of the wheel.
Moon
Old 01-01-2009, 11:00 PM

wskwong is an unknown quantity at this point
Today I finally got a chance to try out the snow chain that I bought. It's from Diamond Back.

Some thoughts: awesome traction if you live in a place where there's constantly snow on the street, can never see bare pavement, and all cars go under 30mph. With regular tires, I've never had the abilty to go uphill in 2 inches snow at such speed. (Usually I need to approach the hill very fast in order to get momentum) If your municipality do clear the street however, then it's a hazel to take them off when you come to bare pavement and then put them on again when needed.

So it seems to be useful if you have fresh snow of at least half an inch, or when it has been snowing for like 3 days straight and your city couldn't clear the snow quick enough.

When taking them off though, it did freak me out, because if you are not careful, it does seem to get wrapped around the axle (for this particular brand, I guess).

Last edited by wskwong; 01-01-2009 at 11:04 PM..
Old 01-01-2009, 11:00 PM