2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought Honda Civic LX 2009 instead of Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Bought Honda Civic LX 2009 instead of Fit Sport

I hope my message doesn't offend anyone as your messages on this board were very valuable to me in car shopping and learning about Hondas.

My original criteria was to get a reliable small car with good fuel economy.

I went into a Honda dealership looking for a Fit Sport. I test drove one and the Civic and it revealed so much about these two cars. The Civic's ride was a lot smoother, handled bumps way better, and it was more roomy inside (I know this is subjective, because I've read reviews in which people have said the Fit is more roomy). The engine felt more powerful, and the digital speedometer in the Civic was too cool to pass up. I think I also liked the fact that the Civic was more like a traditional car with a trunk, and was not a hatchback with fold down seats.

Civics are also lower to the ground, whereas the Fit actually has more height. I also noticed that you can see more in the rear view mirror in the Civic due to a larger back window. The Fit's back window is a lot smaller, but then again, it is a smaller car (which has its advantages and disadvantages). I found that the seats are more comfortable in a Civic than the Fit.

Another thing which contributed to my decision was that I wanted a car the same day, and the dealer only had an orange Fit. Yet, blue is my favorite color. Also, I will probably never use paddle shifters in the Fit Sport, especially if stick shift manual transmission junkies believe that only a MT Fit Sport is the only way to go if you want true control of your car. The Civic also gets better mileage at 36 MPG Highway.

What also influenced me was the latest crash test results on Youtube: YouTube - IIHS Crash Test Of Honda Accord Versus Honda Fit I just didn't like the Fit falling apart in the frontal crash.

The Fit's a good car but I don't think it was for me. The digital gauges on the Civic easily won me over as some futuristic high-tech car. My only suggestion to people who are still thinking about buying a Fit Sport is to consider the Honda Civic 2009 as well in your test driving to see the differences and see which one is best for you.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Congratulations on your purchase! To each his own... choices choices. For me, the smaller the better.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:44 AM
congrats on your purchase... that instrument panel does look cool...

i know the EPA mpg is different in the fit... people consistently get higher then estimated EPA mpg, myself included... I usually get 36mpg 50/50 city/highway, not getting lower then 33 mpg ever, with 41 mpg the highest... just curious if its the same with the civic... can you post up your calculated real mpg?

Old 08-01-2009, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
nothing wrong with buying a civic. half the cars on the road are civics.

my first choice was a civic but the fit won me over.

as far as the gauge cluster.... i prefer the fit.
i dont consider a digital read-out speedometer to be all that futuristic. they've been around a long time.

Last edited by spin out; 08-01-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Everyone is different and everyone has their own needs so its not a surprise the civic met more of your needs and wants.
For me I went to the dealer in January looking for a civic EX. I had a 1995 Acura Integra ls in the past and missed it so the new civic EX was pretty close to that. I test drove the civic and it was nice...not refined as much the integra but it was ok. I was there and decided to drive a 4cyl accord. I just came from an Acura CL-S so I kinda wanted to get away from a big car. The Accord was huge. Alot bigger than my CL. I didn't like it right away. The dealer then got a Fit right off the truck. I told him I wanted to test drive one for the heck of it. I test drove it and was amazed by the space (space meaning the cargo area the Fit had) The Civic has nice room but the Fit has tons more storage capacity. The Fit felt slightly slower to me as well than the civic at first. But I was test driving the Fit Sport so I decided to put it in Sport mode and try the paddle shifters. Wow it was a totally different feel for the car. Yes its the same engine but the car felt so much more sportier using the paddle shifters. I was sold cheaper, more storage, sportier ride (I always put sport suspension on all my cars), better acceleration (with paddles) and just plain funner to drive than the civic.
Funny I would never buy a car based on what the dealer only has in stock that day...but thats just me.

Also yes the civic is rated a little better hwy 36 vs 33mpg but the epa ratings for the fit are way off. I get 34ish city 40ish hwy since getting my Fit in January. Not to say the Civic epa is correct either but I think they are probably closer to the same hwy. I still think the Fit gets better gas mileage in the city though. I highly doubt the Civic gets 34 mpg city.

Obviosly anyone wanting a Fit should look around. I test drove alot of different cars and makes. If you want slightly sportier ride but less mpg the Mazda 3 is a good alternative as well. I just wanted the reliability, excellant mpg, sport ride and cheap cost. The Honda Fit supplied all this for me.

also that youtube video kinda makes me mad because IIHS obviosly is getting paid under the table by someone. Where are the crash test for the Aveo? hmmmm, ....I'd love to see the Fiesta when it comes to the U.S. Thats going to be a joke.

I pulled next to a Miata the other day. My fit is alot bigger than a miata but you don't here about people b*tching about how unsafe a miata is???

Last edited by Committobefit08; 08-01-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
I pulled next to a Miata the other day. My fit is alot bigger than a miata but you don't here about people b*tching about how unsafe a miata is???
true... very true... but the people buying the miatas arent worried about safety lol

i would actually love to own a miata... (i was an mr2 owner in the past... i like small cars )

Old 08-01-2009, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
I test drove an 09 Civic just before the Fit as well. It looks like all of the major points regarding differences between them have already been covered. One thing for me is just how impersonal and utilitarian the Civic felt to me. There were 20 more of the exact same car lined up, and we saw even more on the highway during the test drive. The interior just felt a bit cold to me, like the car made it very clear what it was there for: to appeal to the largest amount of buyers.

That just wasn't enough for me, to drop that kind of money on...well it felt like I was buying a big toothbrush. Once you lay eyes on the Fit, let alone sit inside, it's a completely different character: cheery, roomy, bright, and everywhere you look is an excellent use of space and thoughtfully designed. Very forward thinking design - it just screams road trip, friends, family, fun! I am lucky if I see one of on the road a day, and they usually smile or wave at me. The Civic is a great car, but to me the Fit serves the same basic function (affordable, reliable transportation) but ups the ante big time with enhanced versatility, design, and driving dynamics.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by enchantedsky

What also influenced me was the latest crash test results on Youtube: YouTube - IIHS Crash Test Of Honda Accord Versus Honda Fit I just didn't like the Fit falling apart in the frontal crash.
There are two ways to dissipate energy from an impact.
1. RESIST the impact - IE HUGE 4x4, tank
2. Ablade ... most manufacturers now, start sheding parts or have "crumple zones". - most every single car in the industry.

The manufacturers have decided to go with crumple zones as it dissapates the energy fairly well. The downside is the car gives its life to save you.

Congradulations on your purchase. I like both, I just think the FIT is more utilitarian because I can "fit" ALOT of things in there.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i had a 06 EX sedan (better version than the LX) and even so, i liked the FitSport better and traded it in... not going back.

the current civics are decent cars but aren't really enthusiasts cars unless you get the Si trim with its manual transmission (MT). on the otherhand, the FitSports in MT trim are car guy's car. unless you tried it you will never know wat you missed out on.

hope you keep your civic longer than i did...which was like 2yrs tops. hahahaha.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
I feel safer in my Fit than my old Civic because in the Civic if I took a turn a little too fast I would nearly kill myself. ('01)

Old 08-01-2009, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
My new Fit Sport (as of yesterday) actually replaces a '99 Civic that I bought new. I originally planned to get a new Civic, but when I tried one out, it didn't feel right. The Fit has more of the feel of the old Hondas I grew up on--the quick steering, firm suspension, and the sense that everything serves a purpose.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
The 2 cars are quite different. As the previous poster just said, the Fit is closer in feel to the older Hondas.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:40 PM
We came close to buying a Civic and it was cheaper with the dealer money on them. The Civic has a lot of merit, smoother ride, bigger motor, better mileage rating; but the Fit comes in orange, looks cooler, and feels more useful for what we need. I am still thinking about the Civic SI though!

Old 08-01-2009, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Op I HAVE ONE THING TO SAY - check the first digit of your vin (it WONT be a J) oops your bad!

Old 08-01-2009, 07:15 PM
the seats in the fit are the same as the accord. I find it hard to believe that they would put more comfortable seats in the civic vs. their top sedan.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Speedmojo
the seats in the fit are the same as the accord. I find it hard to believe that they would put more comfortable seats in the civic vs. their top sedan.
I'm always skeptical whenever people start shit talking the seats in the Fit. People just wanna assume that since it's the cheapest car in Honda's lineup it's got shitty seats. They're not as bad as all that.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Well, as far as seats go though, you have to give it to the new civics cause honda did do a great job on that. I think the Fits should atleast offer height control.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:00 PM
I really wan't to like the Civic, up here it is a great deal with .9%, and the same rebates as the Fit. It's also built in Canada. But! I'm really tall and big and I could not get comfortable in the Civic. Plus it is not available here in a hatch. Why anyone would buy a small car that is not a hatch is beyond me, but that's another story. The Civic is smoother, more powerful and I felt with a little more upscale interior. But the Fit, fit, and is a blast to drive. Previous posters are right it feels like Civics of old. Another bonus is (at least up here) every second car is a Civic or a Corrolla, and the Fit stands out a bit.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by hoss10
I really wan't to like the Civic, up here it is a great deal with .9%, and the same rebates as the Fit. It's also built in Canada. But! I'm really tall and big and I could not get comfortable in the Civic. Plus it is not available here in a hatch. Why anyone would buy a small car that is not a hatch is beyond me, but that's another story. The Civic is smoother, more powerful and I felt with a little more upscale interior. But the Fit, fit, and is a blast to drive. Previous posters are right it feels like Civics of old. Another bonus is (at least up here) every second car is a Civic or a Corrolla, and the Fit stands out a bit.
ive got the same problem. in the civic, my head bangs off the roof were as even in my old ek it didn't... the fit on the other hand i have tons of room

Old 08-02-2009, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
Civic is a good choice. I like the 4-door Mugen/Si.

Quick Reply: Bought Honda Civic LX 2009 instead of Fit Sport