2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 fit summary from a Canadian point of view

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
09 fit summary from a Canadian point of view

Here is my take, on a new 09 fit LX 5speed – living in Canada

Just a quick note this is our city run about car – our other vehicle is a Nissan xtrail (sorry US guys never seen this) – it has just over 2400kms and purchased in October 09.

We’re a family of 4 – 2 adults and 2 small kids in their car chairs.

Previously we had a protégé 5 manual, which the fit replaced.

Before that was a 93 civic si hatchback manual.

The civic was extremely fun, fast, light on its feet, even with its little 14” tires. Honestly back then I was able to keep up with a 5.7L trans am – again it was a bulk vs lightness thing – and maybe he had an auto, but that’s another story!

As u can see, we like hatchbacks – and when the kids rolled in, the civic with its 2 doors didn’t help me and my wife. Back in 2002 the only thing with 4 doors, decent and a hatch was the protégé 5.

The protégé 5 handled very well and tight, but was slow and didn’t have a good shifter. The civic’s shifter was like cutting warm butter, even after 230000kms. The civic was a gas and oil, and once in awhile breaks thing, the protégé required much most maintance.

When shopping around this summer, the contenders was the fit, versa SL, new mazda 3 – all hatches and all manual.

Thinking long term, wise, as we typically keep our cars for 8+ years, the fit won. Gas wise, insurance wise, and reliability, at least from the experience we had with the civic. The versa SL was the cheapest to buy, but the manual was weird and the 3 was fun and a great shifter, but was the most to buy and had the highest insurance.

With the fit – with all 4 of us, it’s a little snug, but we all fit in with our weekend groceries etc. The xtrail has been relaxing in the garage, but will be called upon when the snow really hits.

My comments on the fit are from my experience thus far.

It’s a fun drive, letting the vtec kick in whenever possible, and when I want to drive casual – it very good on gas, and has a good stereo.
The shifter is not as smooth as the civic’s but its ok.
Locating the same size winter tires 175x65x15 was tricky.
Seats are stiff and I wish we had a sunroof option.
Honda still does it little tricks which bugs me – like charging extra for rear mud guards. Can’t believe there was no floor mats and no rear hatch cover. All taken care of now.
As compared to others, its expensive, but it u like a fun, driving experience, and manual, its hard to beat the fit!
The extras with regards to the hatchback and the rear seats are great and will come in handy shortly.
Engine bay wise, I’m glad it is still an easy place to work on.
A little difficult to see over the hood.
Not sure yet how to drive manual with boots on in this car.
Side heaters/rear window are great.
Single arm rest is ok, but wished it was more like the versa.
Not too crazy with the stock tires/rims either.
Overall – we are happy with our decision and have to compete on who is going to drive!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vickenp
Honestly back then I was able to keep up with a 5.7L trans am – again it was a bulk vs lightness thing – and maybe he had an auto, but that’s another story!
Kids riding tricycles can keep up with a 5.7 L trans am.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Any differences?

Do you have different fits? I thought I saw an LX type Fit with wheels that were straight from the Civic Hybrid? I live in Minnesota now, and we have a lot of Canadians visit throughout the year. One advantage I think you guys have is heated outside mirrors? That would be nice here in MN, after all the weather here is similar (to manitoba at least).

Last edited by SEAKAYAKER; 12-23-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SEAKAYAKER
Do you have different fits? I thought I saw an LX type Fit with wheels that were straight from the Civic Hybrid? I live in Minnesota now, and we have a lot of Canadians visit throughout the year. One advantage I think you guys have is heated outside mirrors? That would be nice here in MN, after all the weather here is similar (to manitoba at least).
Also, what are the oil recomendations up there? It's strictly 5w-20 here in the states. I have been reading malaysian fit forums, australian forums, etc.... And a lot of them state 5w-30 or 10w-30 as the recomended oil for the 1.5 litre engine. I find that interesting. I am going with 5w-30 myself, as I did with my 04 Element, 06 hybrid, and now 2009 fit.
No heated mirrors and 5W20 is recommended here. I have an LX and it comes with those Civic Hybrid wheels. Super easy to clean. Ugly, but.....

Old 12-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by mugen666
No heated mirrors and 5W20 is recommended here. I have an LX and it comes with those Civic Hybrid wheels. Super easy to clean. Ugly, but.....
The Sport has heated mirrors.

And I agree about the wheels on the LX - darn ugly. It's crazy, I know, but I think the DX's wheel covers are actually nicer to look at.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
LX gets heated side mirrors - its a one button which also turns on the rear hatch defogger

Re the 5.7L transam - for sure his torque beat the civic - but at around 160kms - 100miles - the tides shift differently!

Canada gets 3 models - DX, and a DX-A (which includes AC) and LX, and the sport.

The LX allow rims are boring and I call them my UFO/Pizza tray rims.

The DX series get steelies - Sport gets allows and the same rims the us get.

5w20 I believe is the oil used

The fit is not like our old civic si - but there are lots of hints of it - at least in the fun department.

Not sure what mods I'll do - for starters, wheels/rims

Old 12-04-2009, 06:54 PM
No VSA

We are now into December and no signs yet of the 2010's in Canada, either on the Honda Canada website or at the dealers. I'm still waiting to see if VSA becomes available at least on the Sport. Even though Canada may be the land of snow and ice (and lots of rain so far in Nova Scotia), VSA is not available on any 2009 Canadian Fits. I realize not everyone sees this as a big deal, but VSA can make a huge safety difference in certain situations, not to mention the fact that my girlfriend and kids will be driving my next car (Fit?) as well.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by fitfiftyfour
We are now into December and no signs yet of the 2010's in Canada, either on the Honda Canada website or at the dealers. I'm still waiting to see if VSA becomes available at least on the Sport. Even though Canada may be the land of snow and ice (and lots of rain so far in Nova Scotia), VSA is not available on any 2009 Canadian Fits. I realize not everyone sees this as a big deal, but VSA can make a huge safety difference in certain situations, not to mention the fact that my girlfriend and kids will be driving my next car (Fit?) as well.
I wouldn't hold my breath for VSA on the 2010's in Canada. In the US it has been limited to the Sport with Auto & Nav for '10. And we don't get the Nav option here either...

Old 12-07-2009, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
no 2010s yet in montreal

Old 12-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Quebec city quote

Speaking of montreal and canadian fits, I got a quote for a sport fit in quebec city.

Cant remember exacly the numbers but it was out of the dealer (transport, taxes(around 13% in quebec), winter tires, protection package, nut bolts for the weels around 21k.

Supposedly a 2k discount plus a 500$ discount after taxes.

Should I buy at this price? Im planning to pass by the dealer on friday. Ill update with exact numbers once i come back from work and have acess to my home computer.

The only thing that bug me is the interest rate high for financing 6.9% without any account, 7.2% with 10k account. I fail to see the justification for higher interest rate with a fit that is most likely to follow its market value allthough the 60 month loan.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Thats sound pretty decent!

But financing sucks and u may get better directly at the bank

Living in canada, take either the sport or LX - for the heated side mirrors

U may want to check an aftermarket set of floor matts - they r mentioned here and way better than the ones honda pushes

Note quebec honda is offereing $2000 off the dx models now - 2009 so use this to your advantage!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Sabiokah
Speaking of montreal and canadian fits, I got a quote for a sport fit in quebec city.

Cant remember exacly the numbers but it was out of the dealer (transport, taxes(around 13% in quebec), winter tires, protection package, nut bolts for the weels around 21k.

Supposedly a 2k discount plus a 500$ discount after taxes.
Thanks for reply.

To be exact its
19938(Price after 2k discount)+996(Tps)+1570(tvq)-500(after tax discount) = 22004 out of the door.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:16 PM
"Not sure yet how to drive manual with boots on in this car."

LOL I feel yah! My problem is the build up of ice on the gas and clutch so my feet slip!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
actually with my koffmans - i have no problems hitting each pedal -so far at least

Old 12-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Reptilia
"Not sure yet how to drive manual with boots on in this car."

LOL I feel yah! My problem is the build up of ice on the gas and clutch so my feet slip!
You have to kick that white stuff off better before getting in.