2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power outlet extension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Power outlet extension?

I've been frustrated by the Fit's lack of compatibility with XM Radio, but I like the new XM Radio SkyDock, which utilizes the iPhone I've already got, plugged into the Fit's power outlet. The problem is that the power outlet is located way low and at the front of the console, a long way from the driver's line of sight.
Is there any way of rigging a power outlet extension so that I could mount the SkyDock up closer to my normal line of sight? I'd rather not make permanent modifications to the dash, if possible.
Thanks,

Gary,
East Snook, TX

Old 01-19-2010, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Resoman
I've been frustrated by the Fit's lack of compatibility with XM Radio, but I like the new XM Radio SkyDock, which utilizes the iPhone I've already got, plugged into the Fit's power outlet. The problem is that the power outlet is located way low and at the front of the console, a long way from the driver's line of sight.
Is there any way of rigging a power outlet extension so that I could mount the SkyDock up closer to my normal line of sight? I'd rather not make permanent modifications to the dash, if possible.
Thanks,

Gary,
East Snook, TX
Yeah, I hear you. I wanted to get the XM Skydock too, but I had the same problem as you're having and the hassle isn't worth it for me at this point. I'm probably going for the XM Onyx receiver, possibly the Audiovox or Delphi XM Xpress RC. They're both good units with nice features. If there wasn't the issue of charging your iPhone then you could just use the Auxiliary option. I don't know, the Onyx or XM Xpress possibly options you may consider?

Amazon.com: XM XDNX1V1 Onyx Dock-and-Play Radio with Car Kit (Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: Audiovox XMCK30PXM Xpress-RC Receiver: Electronics

Amazon.com: Delphi SA10315-11B1 XpressRC Plug and Play XM Satellite Radio with Color Display: Electronics

All of the above have multiple mount provisions, and they can be powered by using a cable to your stereo's AUX. No power outlet needed. (FM options as well) All units provide an auxiliary cable.

The SkyDock is very cool. With all of the electronic solutions out there these days there should be some way to fabricate something that looked and functioned somewhat professionally. I would also post your question in the Fit I.C.E. forum... there are some pretty knowledgeable people in there from time to time.

If I run into anything I will post it.

Last edited by annunC8; 01-19-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member

$5

Amazon.com: 8 Foot 12V DC Lighter Coil Extension Cable: Electronics

XM radio is silly O.o Just use pandora on your iphone, much better.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:32 AM
+1 on pandora or last fm or any number of online streaming services

Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
I'm sure the link is appreciated, but I think he was asking if anyone knows of a way of fabricating/mounting an extension somewhere higher on the dash so he could see and reach his iPhone better.

Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
XM radio is silly O.o Just use pandora on your iphone, much better.
May be silly to you (and it may be, as far as an expense), but some people really enjoy XM/Sirius. There's more to XM/Sirius than music. There are lots of channels you just cannot get by other means at this time.

You at least made me want to check out your suggestion. Record industry publishers just placed a new fee on XM and Sirius... so prices went up across the board. Definitely not cheap like it used to be. Starting to get as bad as rising cable/satellite prices.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
I can't really think of anything else he could use. Everything else ends with cutting a hole in the dash to mount a new 12v outlet.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I can't really think of anything else he could use. Everything else ends with cutting a hole in the dash to mount a new 12v outlet.
Yup! Maybe he's willing to go that route... only he would know.

Need, desire and determination always create near-endless possibilities, in any situation!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
How high do you want to go with the outlet?

If you are looking at mounting that device around the mirror, check out the Modified Dome Light link in my signature.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Roger's Fit
How high do you want to go with the outlet?

If you are looking at mounting that device around the mirror, check out the Modified Dome Light link in my signature.
If I'm understanding correctly, I think he wanted something mounted just below eye level... on or around the top of the dash. In case you're not familiar with the XM SkyDock, it's a rather large, and somewhat heavy (as far as mounts go) iPhone-mounted solution for receiving XM Satellite Radio.

It's very cool and uses the iPhone's application interface. But the unit needs a power outlet for charging the iPhone (the iPhone drains it's battery rather quickly otherwise)... it cannot be powered by simply using the Fit stereo AUX... and the solution the Fit currently provides is way too low (visibly) for viable operation.

GREAT mods and skills you have there! If anyone could come up with a solution I guess it would be someone like you.

Last edited by annunC8; 01-20-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
If I'm understanding correctly, I think he wanted something mounted just below eye level... on or around the top of the dash. In case you're not familiar with the XM SkyDock, it's a rather large, and somewhat heavy (as far as mounts go) iPhone-mounted solution for receiving XM Satellite Radio.

It's very cool and uses the iPhone's application interface. But the unit needs a power outlet for charging the iPhone (the iPhone drains it's battery rather quickly otherwise)... it cannot be powered by simply using the Fit stereo AUX... and the solution the Fit currently provides is way too low (visibly) for viable operation.

GREAT mods and skills you have there! If anyone could come up with a solution I guess it would be someone like you.
I have only seen one of those XM devices, and the guy had it mounted it to his mirror. I cannot yet bring myself to pay for radio, but I definitely understand the attraction.

Thanks for the accolades.

So I went out and looked at my car. The way I would do it, run an all black thin power cable stuffed in the very front between the windshield and the dash, over to the little speaker via the groove between the black and gray portion near the window. I would pup up the little speaker and run the wire underneath it. That is the easiest, no cuts on your new car method. The black wire will blend with the dash. If the view of the wire going underneath the speaker might annoy you, run it under the passenger speaker. You might put a slight groove in the speaker to make the speaker fit tight with the wire running underneath it.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Roger's Fit
So I went out and looked at my car. The way I would do it, run an all black thin power cable stuffed in the very front between the windshield and the dash, over to the little speaker via the groove between the black and gray portion near the window. I would pup up the little speaker and run the wire underneath it. That is the easiest, no cuts on your new car method. The black wire will blend with the dash. If the view of the wire going underneath the speaker might annoy you, run it under the passenger speaker. You might put a slight groove in the speaker to make the speaker fit tight with the wire running underneath it.
Hey thanks. Your suggestions not only (hopefully) benefit the OP, but will benefit me when my 2010 Sport is delivered. I need that XM solution also... and I absolutely hate seeing wires all around and over the dash.

It's gotta' be clean, you know!

Thanks for your time.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
Since the USB adapter provides power to an iPod, would it also provide power to an iPhone? If so, you could snake an iPhone to USB cable from the upper glove to a convenient location.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
Since the USB adapter provides power to an iPod, would it also provide power to an iPhone? If so, you could snake an iPhone to USB cable from the upper glove to a convenient location.
A truck got stuck under a bridge in New York -- during rush hour -- a few years back. It was too high to fit under the bridge, but the driver tried it anyway. The top of the truck sheared under the bottom of the bridge and became absolutely, hopelessly stuck! Wouldn't go forward, wouldn't go in reverse.

The police, fire, several high-level mechanics, city officials, and a huge crowd all came to free the truck, but none could come up with a solution. Hours later, with traffic backed up almost all the way to 42nd Street from just past the World Trade Center on West Side Highway and still, no one could come up with a solution.

A little girl was standing for almost an hour with her daddy, watching all of the "experts and important people" trying to free the truck hopelessly wedged under the bridge. All of a sudden the little girl's dad noticed she was walking into the street toward all of those "big shots" trying to free the truck.

Her dad yelled for her to come back but it was too late... she had already walked into the crowd of, now arguing men, and police officers who, were trying to decide what kind of traffic summons to give the adventurous and now nauseated truck driver.

The men stopped, looked at the little girl, and ceased yapping as she looked at them, rolled her eyes, raised both hands from her sides toward the sky and politely exclaimed, "Hey Misters, why don't you just let the air out of the truck tires... DUH!"

They did, the truck was free, and the men said nothing to the little girl because of the embarrassment they felt for having been outwitted by this simplistic-yet-brilliant little 8 year old! Needless to say, the father was proud, and the media made a HUGE deal out of that little girl's solution... the solution all of those highly paid "experts and geniuses" got nowhere remotely close to after hours of trying!

Moral of the story? Actually no moral... but one h3ll of a lesson in overlooking the obvious.

Geez, we're all walking around the block and cannot find the bus stop, when it was right there on the corner where we started. We were just too busy looking for the bench to notice we were sitting on the d@mned thing!

Seldon, congratulations... you are a man of subtle, yet absolute genius!

"Since the USB adapter provides power to an iPod, would it also provide power to an iPhone," the man asks? Geeeeezzz, I think it would!

Thanks for the OBVIOUS solution, Seldon (or it should have been obvious). If I were near I would buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice... possibly even two or three dinners! You've helped the OP and everyone else who participated in this thread!

Well, I feel like a near-moron, right about now!