2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Nav Unit Install Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Question Honda Nav Unit Install Help Please

I am wanting to put a honda navigation system in my 2009 Fit Sport. Can anyone help me with what I need for wiring diagrams or wiring harness. Was not sure if my current wiring harness would work for the factory honda navigation radio. I brought a honda factory radio from ebay..can anyone tell me how to decode the model number? 39541-SWA-C010-M1 Also, does anyone know if this has a built in amp or requires outside amp? It is a 2006 model nav. unit. Not sure if it has voice command. Does the fit sport have a seperate amp with factory radio or built in? Has anyone else tried putting the honda nav radio in their fit? Can I add steering wheel controls using the current steering wheel cable reel?

Old 02-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by HondaFit2009
I am wanting to put a honda navigation system in my 2009 Fit Sport. Can anyone help me with what I need for wiring diagrams or wiring harness. Was not sure if my current wiring harness would work for the factory honda navigation radio. I brought a honda factory radio from ebay..can anyone tell me how to decode the model number? 39541-SWA-C010-M1 Also, does anyone know if this has a built in amp or requires outside amp? It is a 2006 model nav. unit. Not sure if it has voice command. Does the fit sport have a seperate amp with factory radio or built in? Has anyone else tried putting the honda nav radio in their fit? Can I add steering wheel controls using the current steering wheel cable reel?
This is what you bought, from a Civic, 06-08.

Name:  ouaGZ.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  134.7 KB

This is your radio in the Fit.

Name:  4h9uk.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  85.6 KB

I think this would be a monumental task and am exhausted just thinking about where to start...

Best of luck

Old 02-13-2010, 09:34 AM
thanks for the pictures and details of the civic nav vs the fit factory radio. Does anyone know how to decode the wiring harness and where I can buy the plug since the A are different sizes?

Old 02-19-2010, 02:39 AM
I found how to convert the main harness by buying a Fit aftermarket radio harness and using a harness made for civic Parrot bluetooth install since it has both male and female plugs. I am going to use male plug to plug in back of radio and cut off female plug and attach fit aftermarket harness to this part and plug this into factory car harness. I need help now determining the other connectors on back of radio. Can anyone help me in finding out what these are..ie. steering wheel controls, IPOD USB, aux jack etc.

Last edited by HondaFit2009; 02-21-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:19 AM
dgs
While I can't answer your wiring and schematic questions, I can ask why you want to go with the Honda OEM unit? It's a good nav, don't get me wrong but the aftermarket offers so much more for your money. If I was to get an in-dash unit I would get one with Bluetooth, and a hard drive to store MP3's. I would also get a bigger screen, like 7" instead of the 6.5" in the Fit with much better graphics. Have you see the graphics in the Honda oem unit, they look like something out of an 80's Atari video game. You also don't get the stability control with the nav buying it separately like that, so I don't see the appeal.

There is nothing special about the Honda OEM and no reason I would buy it if it didn't already come with my car. It actually leaves a lot to be desired compared to what's out there today for the same money. But for someone directionally challenged like me it works very well.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:58 PM
You are very accurate in your summary of Factory vs aftermarket units. The aftermarket units offer a lot for the money including built in Bluetooth. Several reasons why I want to do this in my car. First my wife has a 2008 Honda Crv with factory Nav and we swap cars sometimes, so wanted her to have a radio she was used to. Also, just purchased a Pioneer AVIC X910BT for my daughters Honda Element. I am actually trying to install it today. Since she is just now learning to drive and I wanted to be sure we have Nav in all three cars to keep her safe when going new places. I spent more on her unit and thus with being able to get my unit brand new for $250, it is a cheaper way for me to put Nav unit in car at this time. Plan on adding blue tooth and installing it myself also and they are not that expensive on ebay. Thanks for you comments and I agree for most it would make alot more sence to go aftermarket and get a better package.

Last edited by HondaFit2009; 02-21-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by HondaFit2009
You are very accurate in your summary of Factory vs aftermarket units. The aftermarket units offer a lot for the money including built in Bluetooth. Several reasons why I want to do this in my car. First my wife has a 2008 Honda Crv with factory Nav and we swap cars sometimes, so wanted her to have a radio she was used to. Also, just purchased a Pioneer AVIC X910BT for my daughters Honda Element. I am actually trying to install it today. Since she is just now learning to drive and I wanted to be sure we have Nav in all three cars to keep her safe when going new places. I spent more on her unit and thus with being able to get my unit brand new for $250, it is a cheaper way for me to put Nav unit in car at this time. Plan on adding blue tooth and installing it myself also and they are not that expensive on ebay. Thanks for you comments and I agree for most it would make alot more sence to go aftermarket and get a better package.
Such a caring father ...

Old 08-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Hi,

The unit you purchased does not have an internal amp! i got the same unit and am fitting it into a 07 Civic lx. i have the unit fitted today infact but still need to sort out some items. the main part is the amp. A small 4 channel amp has been purchased but still needs wiring up (minor task).

Im off out to get some wire etc.. and will post some info later.

Nigel

Old 08-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the post. I find a Honda Fit Radio on Ebay with complete wiring harness and steering wheel. I plan on putting in the radio in the fall with steering wheel controls and microphone. I need to sell the other radio now since I will not need it. Good luck on your project.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:40 PM
dude, that is such a monumental task, you will come out losing money and risk damaging other devices.

i have a 2009 it with navigation and i like it a lot, but too bad about the bluetooth, I have a blueant bluetooth device and use that and I luv it.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by canuck901
dude, that is such a monumental task, you will come out losing money and risk damaging other devices.

i have a 2009 it with navigation and i like it a lot, but too bad about the bluetooth, I have a blueant bluetooth device and use that and I luv it.
Whats monumental? connecting a few wires to a nav unit? wiring up a Nimrod aircraft is monumental!!! (bben there done that) Im electronics by trade so wiring up a nav unit is a walk in the park.

Nigel

Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 PM
I was lucky and the body shop in florida also gave me the wiring harness out of the wreak car. I plan on stipping the wires out I need and not damage my wiring harness at all. You can pull the wires and pins out of the old harness and put in my harness plug. It is not that hard, pretty good at doing these type of things...just have to have patience and Honda Fit Factory repair manual. I may not put in the steering wheel controls, but did get the yoke with the wiring harness, so could pull steering wheel and replace that also. If anyone else has done this please let me know what issues you had.

thanks

Old 10-30-2010, 12:51 PM
whatever happened, did you finish this project?
how did you makeout? would like to hear the outcome and comments on this...

Old 10-30-2010, 12:55 PM
I hope OP went with a stand alone... HONDA nav suck!

Old 10-30-2010, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nigelf
Whats monumental? connecting a few wires to a nav unit? wiring up a Nimrod aircraft is monumental!!! (bben there done that) Im electronics by trade so wiring up a nav unit is a walk in the park.

Nigel
Perhaps you could "go for a walk in the park" and when you get back you could tell us what you've discovered. I only say this because it's your trade and expertise and it could help others.

I still think an aftermarket unit is the way to go.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:10 PM
I have not had time to do the swap unit in my Fit with the factory Nav....been remodeling my house and won't be able to start this until December or later. Plan on stripping the old wiring harness and getting everything laid out and ready before I take my car out of commission. Will take a good weekend to get it all in if I pull the steering wheel also. I will post info once I get this going. I have a factory Honda Nav in my wife's CRV and an aftermarket in my daughters Element. I like the Nav in the honda just fine, but no bluetooth. It is made by Alpine and alot of the screens look better than Pioneer and like the dedicated buttons for radio stations, etc as compared to pioneer touch interface for radio...hard to switch while driving. I got the complete wiring harness including the ipod unit, so when done I will have all factory options for Nav.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:52 PM
the NAV for the FIT is pretty good, i do enjoy it.
plus the touch screen interface and voice commands.

i still believe this task for you will be monumental, would like to here anyone that has had installed this and here the outcome with pics.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:00 AM
Questions

Originally Posted by canuck901
the NAV for the FIT is pretty good, i do enjoy it.
plus the touch screen interface and voice commands.

i still believe this task for you will be monumental, would like to here anyone that has had installed this and here the outcome with pics.
I'm installing an oem navy in my 91 accord, what all did you connect and/or have to install? The unit fell in my lap and I believe that there should always be a map available thought it would be different but cool if I could make it work.