2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone think the Fit wanders at highway speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by mahout
Normally I would suspect tires of different diameter left and right front or rear. Pulling right on acceleration indicates the left side is a little bigger circumference than the right; pulling left on deceleration indicates the same. try measuring the circumference of each tire ( not the diamter directly). A diff more than a quarter-inch is a concern.
You could switch sides with the wheels/tires to see if the pulling reverses.
You can also check accurately the section height of each tire, that is istance from the ground to the wheel rim. For a 185/55x16 tire that should be 4 inches. any difference more than .10" is significant and the tire pressure adjusted to equalize. Since the Fit does not have equal weights left and right that could be an issue, not to also note that some tires are not equally made which is possible.
I presume your alignment and crowned roads were already checked.

otherthan strong side winds none of the Fits here exhibit wandering or drifting off-center.
I will check cercomference and section height and get back to you. Yes, alignment checked 5 times and road crown accounted for. And will rotate tires a few times to
see if it makes a difference. Has 17000 miles now and the arbitrator has denied my request for replacement. Apparently the arbitrator process is a sham. He did not respond to the complaints, just manufactored his own concepts. Will post process later for any comments.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Ok now that all the ideas in what is the consenus? Wider tires or sabilization bars or slower speeds?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Norman99
Ok now that all the ideas in what is the consenus? Wider tires or sabilization bars or slower speeds?
Just bump up the tire pressure a little bit. assume a comfortable, relaxed driving position and drive at a speed you are comfortable with... I have found my GD3 to be more stable at 70 than at slower speeds.. 7" wide wheels with a bit more offset, stiffer sidewall tires and Swift springs have made a considerable amount difference in reducing body roll and instilling a sense of stability by eliminating side to side rocking when driving at highway speed when there are gusty side winds that have full sized cars, trucks, SUVs and mini vans wandering all over the lane they are in...Wider tires just add resistance that increases the amount of effort needed to steer the car providing slower steering response but just being relaxed and not over reacting is the first thing to work on.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Just bump up the tire pressure a little bit. assume a comfortable, relaxed driving position and drive at a speed you are comfortable with... I have found my GD3 to be more stable at 70 than at slower speeds.. 7" wide wheels with a bit more offset, stiffer sidewall tires and Swift springs have made a considerable amount difference in reducing body roll and instilling a sense of stability by eliminating side to side rocking when driving at highway speed when there are gusty side winds that have full sized cars, trucks, SUVs and mini vans wandering all over the lane they are in...Wider tires just add resistance that increases the amount of effort needed to steer the car providing slower steering response but just being relaxed and not over reacting is the first thing to work on.
I did 400+ miles today in very gusty conditions. The car tracks much better since we replaced the original tires with Bridgestone Touranzas in the same size as the OEM tires. The advice to get comfortable and relax is much easier to follow with the new rubber.

Cheers.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Fit wandering

My 2011 Fit just made its first highway trip (1500 miles). It now has 2400 miles on it. At interstate speed, anything over 65 mph the car the car begins to wander. At 70 mph it is dangerous and requires all your attention to keep it in it's lane. Don't know what is wrong, but the dealership needs to address this one. I have had many Honda's, but never anything like this.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stanjack
Don't know what is wrong, but the dealership needs to address this one.
Get them to check your alignment - I suspect being shipped and rough seas/etc, that not all Fits make it to our shores with perfect alignments. Mine is a lot better since I got an alignment done... the other thing of course is to replace the rubber, stock tires are crap.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101
Get them to check your alignment - I suspect being shipped and rough seas/etc, that not all Fits make it to our shores with perfect alignments. Mine is a lot better since I got an alignment done... the other thing of course is to replace the rubber, stock tires are crap.
It's the truth about the stock tires. All four of mine flat spotted within 10,000 miles. And I had a perfect alignment and they were all balanced--tested it on a machine myself. Also, the stock wheels are only about a 6" width. after switching to a 15x7" wheel with a Traction AA tire, the wandering is still present at about 80 mph, but that's most likely because I'm due for a new alignment.

The stock Dunlop tires are absolute and total crap. Don't even bother with the defect warranty; what they give you for two tires won't cover the cost of one new one.

EDIT: Also they seemed to feel really unstable on corners and slipped at even the lightest touch on wet pavement. Traction A tire, my ass.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stanjack
My 2011 Fit just made its first highway trip (1500 miles). It now has 2400 miles on it. At interstate speed, anything over 65 mph the car the car begins to wander. At 70 mph it is dangerous and requires all your attention to keep it in it's lane. Don't know what is wrong, but the dealership needs to address this one. I have had many Honda's, but never anything like this.

I have to believe your alignment, tires, or suspension is at fault. Since this started showing up in posts we've had the chance of checking a dozen Fits and found none with wandering tendencies. These were all in for routime alignments or tire changes.
Have your alignment checked, check your wheels for bent or wobble, and check your tires for unequal pressures, diffent brands, and even measure the circumference to see if there is a difference more than a quarter-inch. Bekieve it or not we have found the same brand and size tire have a half-inch difference which made the car pull to that side.
You might even check your springs and shocks, but my bet is on improper toe, either front or rear. That leads to wander easily. Especially check your antisway bars. If one side's link is not balanced with the other side that can put a twist is the spring load that can constantly be attempting to even up. At rest on level ground the links should easily be bolted up. if one is not then the bar will be putting a twisting load on the sway bar same as uneven spring rates.

Last edited by mahout; 08-09-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
What I find disappointing was that my car (probably from new) had alignment issues that caused this... shouldn't a new car be aligned correctly? I do think its maybe due to the long journey over, but still needing an alignment on a new car is just ridiculous. And a bad alignment seems to wreak a lot more havoc on the Fit than in other cars.

OP only has 2400 miles, but I bet the alignment is junk on his car.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:05 PM
wandering

My 2010 sport now has 19000miles and still wanders in spite of all I can do to fix it. Honda has checked/aligned it 5 times and still pronouces it "normal". Going though the arbitration process didnt help either. Request was denied!
I have an appointment Teusday with Firestone to check alignment/tires as a last resort . If that fails does anybody want a perfectly "normal" Fit?
Raylon

Old 08-07-2011, 03:08 PM
i believe the rear suspension is the cause. w/ a panhard bar or solid trailing arm bushings the fit might track straight

Old 08-07-2011, 03:19 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
A front undertray cured my wandering '08.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101
What I find disappointing was that my car (probably from new) had alignment issues that caused this... shouldn't a new car be aligned correctly? I do think its maybe due to the long journey over, but still needing an alignment on a new car is just ridiculous. And a bad alignment seems to wreak a lot more havoc on the Fit than in other cars.

OP only has 2400 miles, but I bet the alignment is junk on his car.

Dealers only check the cosmetic things that potential buyers camn see. Unless valves are noisy or drives badly there is a cost penalty involved that will mean raising the selling price by $100 or more. Instead, its easier and more rewarding to let buyers find any defects and then fixing them with accuracy and goodwill.

Last edited by mahout; 08-09-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:23 AM
The way this car see-saws running through the gears, Im apt to believe this is a spring rate issue.

When you load it down, it doesnt do this on edge wadering bit. Last winter I threw a couple sand bags in the back and it made a night and day difference.

What I dont understand is why this car rides so rough, for what seems to be a fairly weak spring. I spose its the low profile tire. What I wouldnt give for a set of 15" volks and a set of tokico 5way adjs.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 AM
I didn't think it was too bad, but mainly because I was used go driving short wheelbase SUVs and pickups which wander by nature. I was shocked at how much better my tC tracks on the highway.

Thoughts:
- perhaps the rear twist beams hurt the stability. It's a really shoddy suspension setup for the company that nearly made Double Wishbones a trademark.
- the short wheelbase, tall profile, narrow track, and light weight amplify small imperfections that would be less noticeable in a heavier car
- the steering is extremely sensitive, and drivers who tend to track by constantly turning the wheel to and fro will upset it.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
My 2008 back tires wore out quickly even though I rotated them. The dealer said it because the back end is so light that it skims the highway. I did notice it wonder a little but that because 1 set of tire were in the road grove and the other was riding the crown. The car is a little to narrow.
I only notice wandering from wind (of course), and highways with the rain grooves.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
GE is a nervous little narrow car at expressway speeds.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
In Arkansas, with our just absolutely well-maintained highways[/sarcasm], any front wheel drive car, no matter the state of alignment, tire tread, contact patch, or any variable, they just always pull right. It could just be your roads in the place you're located. Pulling to and fro is much more noticeable in a front wheel drive car from my experience and the lighter the car, the more it will be noticeable.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
^^ that could be just the crown of the road to sheet off water. especially in areas prone to heavy rain they put more angle which results in cars pulling to one side..usually right as you mentioned.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
For the people mentioning the stock tires wearing out too quickly even if rotation--The Dunlop SP Sport 7000 is known for that. It is a crappy tire. That is not warrantied in any way. Dunlop is owned by Goodyear, so that is no surprise, considering Goodyear has a bad reputation of their tires being hit or miss. Mine wore out in 10,000 miles with mild driving, no handbraking, no sliding, no barking, and without rotation.

Quick Reply: Anyone think the Fit wanders at highway speeds?