2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the 2010 have the same MPG readout issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Does the 2010 have the same MPG readout issues?

*UPDATE* The below post is due to my own fault in not checking all of my averages. It just so happened that the one I decided to double check, was off by a good percentage. Or at least that is what it is looking like.

Hello everyone, I found this forum through a google search for inconsistencies in the Average MPG readout on the Honda Fit.

I recently purchased a new 2010 Honda Fit and have been glorying in the high average MPGs that I have been getting. However, just the other day I started to do the math on the MPG and noticed that the display readout was 'optimistic' to be kind.

The display reported 40.0 MPG with a trip meter of 359.1 miles and I filled the tank with 9.787 gallons. 359.1 / 9.787 = 36.7 != 40.0. I have been taking pictures of the gas pump, trip meter, and Avg MPG since I got the car (easier than writing the information down), and when I go back and do the math I am noticing that the cars reported AVG MPG is consistently higher than the actual AVG MPG. *Update* I did not check these results closely enough and must have done some bad math, a second run through came up with more reasonable results as documented below.

So is it possible that the 2010 models are affected by the same issue the 2009's are?

The TSB thread mentions the following:
Would I be able to go to the dealer and ask for that update?

P.S. Sorry if there is another thread about this, I went through the last 3 pages of threads and did not see anything and I did not want to dig up one of the old threads.

Last edited by ryodoan; 10-17-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
it seems hard to believe a 2010 fit wouldnt have been updated...... but your numbers suggest the problem still exists.

just document at least 4 or 5 fill ups, print out the service bulletin and bring it to the dealer and they'll fix it. i suggest you call the dealer first and explain everything.

my dealer was very cooperative when the issue came up.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:55 AM
And this is the point where I look a bit like an idiot. I just happened to do the math on the one fill-up that had a really off number. I have filled up my car 7 times and taken pictures (not just taken the Average MPG at its word) 5 times. I went back and did all of the math and came up with the following.
  • Trip: 371.7 Fillup: 9.476 Reported: 40.3 Actual: 39.23
  • Trip: 359.1 Fillup: 9.787 Reported: 40.0 Actual: 36.69
  • Trip: 319.7 Fillup: 8.569 Reported: 37.1 Actual: 37.31
  • Trip: 341.5 Fillup: 9.506 Reported: 36.6 Actual: 35.92
  • Trip: 339.6 Fillup: 9.000 Reported: 38.0 Actual: 37.73
As you can see, most of the results are fairly close to the actual calculated result.

Thanks for making me go back and check my data, I was getting myself worked up over nothing.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Nice confirming info. Pretty much in-line with my numbers.

Can I ask what your mileage is? Those are nice MPG's.

I need to keep reminding myself that it's not worth it to split hairs on monitoring the MPG. A host of variables get in the way.

I'm now more focused on the average trend to provide info on how my FIT is running. If I see a significant change I know something is up and might soon need attention.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Yeah I checked mine when I first got my 2010 and the average MPG reported by the car was right on with what I calculated. I was only getting 33.x MPG though but that is with close to 95% short in city stop and go travel.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
You're numbers are closer than mine are. I've got an '09 WITH the TSB fix but I'm still 2mpg lower than what the car says. it's better than 4mpg or 5mpg like before the TSB but it's still not that close.

I use an app on my phone to track all of my numbers (and do the calculations for me) but I also have a spreadsheet that I posted that anyone can download to do complete calculations (and to track).

Here's my 1 yr Thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post899768

Welcome to the forum.

~SB

Old 10-17-2010, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
i get around the same as well, i do many 100+ mile trips all highway, and get 40~ MPG as well. sometimes 38MPG, sometimes 42MPG.

its so random... i travel all highway generally doing about 40 miles a day, generally doing about 70 miles per hour.

2010 Honda fit here.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
How the heck are you guys doing in the low 40's while doing 70 on the highway. It baffles me.

I did a recent road trip to Houston and back (500 miles each way) while doing 75-80, and my calculated mpg was 32-33mpg. Cruise control most of the way. It was certainly not 36-42. I have a stock 09 Fit with 30k miles on it.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by spets
How the heck are you guys doing in the low 40's while doing 70 on the highway. It baffles me.

I did a recent road trip to Houston and back (500 miles each way) while doing 75-80, and my calculated mpg was 32-33mpg. Cruise control most of the way. It was certainly not 36-42. I have a stock 09 Fit with 30k miles on it.
Hmm... I can pretty easily stay in the 37-39 range on the highway between here(Monterey) and San Francisco (117 miles)

I usually run around 70 or so, and there are a couple of steep grades between here and the Santa Clara valley.

I usually put it in 5th and lock it there with the manual mode. Traffic jams kill it though.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
For me, it's almost impossible to get above 40MPG @70mph unless I have a tail wind.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe 80 is just pushing it too fast. I do have a Manual though, not the auto.

I am driving it in the city right now and I am slowly inching my way to 36mpg average, but I was disappointed that my highway mileage kinda sucked.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
Hmm... I can pretty easily stay in the 37-39 range on the highway between here(Monterey) and San Francisco (117 miles)

I usually run around 70 or so, and there are a couple of steep grades between here and the Santa Clara valley.

I usually put it in 5th and lock it there with the manual mode. Traffic jams kill it though.
That is my car exactly

Old 10-17-2010, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
First tank is 32.95 MPG. Disappointed! MPG Readout 34.5 MPG, is the CPU okay?

I just got my car filled up the first time after I bought the car a week ago. The MPG reads 34.5 MPG, but my actual calculation is 32.95.

Do you guys think this is a serious issue here? I think it is about 2 MPG difference and this is my 1st record. I probably will need to do a few more inspection until I can tell if my car has accurate MPG readout.

I am driving about 60% freeway /40% city which I seem many Fit owners can get at least 37MPG - 40MPG easily. I drive below 55 MPH on freeway and so easy on the car. Do you think my MPG will go up gradually? Could it be the engine is still breaking in? Anyways, I will try to raise up the tire pressure to 40 psi for the front and 37 for the rear to see if this help a little?

Can someone here share your opinion of my situation here? I am hoping my car can get at least 37 MPG even in city and I guarantee that this has nothing to do with my driving habit. Being said, I drive like an old man and never go above 3K RPM.

BTW, I have a 2010 Fit Sport AUTO. Please help!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 PM
One 'old man' to another, you've got little to be concerned with.

With mileage and your driving habits the MPG will increase. I drive a MT, but by 5Kmiles the MPG's rose to where they are now - 38 avg. You will not see that in true city driving, however. More like 35 I'll guess.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by be12nard
I just got my car filled up the first time after I bought the car a week ago. The MPG reads 34.5 MPG, but my actual calculation is 32.95.
you have no issue.
your mpg calculation vs. the mpg monitor will vary from fill-up to fill-up.... the numbers will usually be within 1.5 miles of each other....... but sometimes as much as 2 mpg apart.

your highway/city driving is about the same as mine.
your calculation of 32.95 is pretty much exactly as mine.
it's not going to change.
ive driven my car for 23,000 miles and the mpg never improved...... other than the fact that summer weather gives you better mileage than winter driving (33 mpg summer, 31 mpg winter).
and you're never going to get good mileage in "city" driving. forget 37 mpg. you'd be lucky to get 27 mpg in all urban driving.

i'm telling you all this based purely on my experience driving a 2009 auto fit sport.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:40 AM

Can someone here share your opinion of my situation here? I am hoping my car can get at least 37 MPG even in city and I guarantee that this has nothing to do with my driving habit. Being said, I drive like an old man and never go above 3K RPM.

BTW, I have a 2010 Fit Sport AUTO. Please help!
I get an average of 37 mpg hwy and that is rolling 70-75 mph. In the city I get 30 mpg. I also have an auto. I don't think you will ever see 37 mpg in the City sorry, if it was a hybrid maybe. I do think your mpg will go up slightly the longer you have the car. Since your car is only a week old I think it still needs to break in a bit. I remember my mpg went up slightly after about a month of driving.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Every time when I am driving in the city, I can see the MPG readout decreases slowly and the only way the MPG go up is driving on freeway for more than 30 miles. I have been looking at the MPG readout while I drive. I just don't understand how can other Fit owners here claim to be able to get 37 MPG or above.

Is it safe for me to pump up my tire pressure to 40psi for front and rear without damaging the tires? My car is only a month old but I like to get more MPG as the purpose I bought this car.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Every time when I am driving in the city, I can see the MPG readout decreases slowly and the only way the MPG go up is driving on freeway for more than 30 miles. I have been looking at the MPG readout while I drive. I just don't understand how can other Fit owners here claim to be able to get 37 MPG or above.

Is it safe for me to pump up my tire pressure to 40psi for front and rear without damaging the tires? My car is only a month old but I like to get more MPG as the purpose I bought this car.
I'm lucky for my average to be close to 30. But I do almost exclusively stop and go driving, up and down hills, and typically the distance is ~1-3 miles distance. Oh and its only been cool enough for the last two weeks for me not to have the AC going full blast.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM
You are all lucky to be getting 30-40+ mpg. My FIT is getting 19-23 mpg and I'm happy with it

Old 10-19-2010, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by mdr40z
That is my car exactly
I had an interesting experience tonight.

I was creeping along in insane traffic, averaging about between 8 and 12 mpg for about 4 miles (it took about 2 hours to cover that distance - a tanker full of wax overturned on 101 south from San Jose just in time for the evening rush). I'd taken my kids up there for the day to visit a tech museum...

Anyway, I got to Morgan Hill, ate at Denny's, refueled, and got back on the highway. Just after refueling, as usual, I reset the tripometer. When I got just south of Gilroy, I noticed that I hadn't switched it back to the MPG meter, and blipped it over.

HOLY CRAP!

For those 15 miles, my average was showing 50.1.

I was running no A/C, driving about 60-65, and while there is a slight downward elevation change, it wasn't much. (about 150 feet over that distance). After crossing the hills in Prunedale, I saw a pretty sudden, dramatic drop, and was back to the very low 40's by the time I reached Monterey. I can easily pull 38-39 with the A/C running and scooting at 65-70, so that seems reasonable.

If I lived in a flat place, where I never had to climb a grade, I bet I'd be pulling mid 40's on the highway with ease. This car doesn't seem to like hills - it loses efficiency on the way up, and unless you want to risk a 'performance award' courtesy of your local Smokey, you can't recoup that investment on the way down.

Quick Reply: Does the 2010 have the same MPG readout issues?