2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Osram/Sylvania sale this month (10/10) or other (legal) choice out there

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Osram/Sylvania sale this month (10/10) or other (legal) choice out there

First post and thanks for the great forum.

Email that I recently received from Osram:

"...Advance Auto Parts is joining SYLVANIA to help drivers improve their night time driving vision during this special month. Receive $6.00 OFF SilverStar® twin packs and $10.00 OFF SilverStar® ULTRA twin packs instantly at Advance Auto Parts stores nationwide throughout the month of October.."

From the Osram site I picked out four different bulbs to (hopefully) make my new 2010 Fit more visible both day and night. My concern is that because I have always driven with my lights on continuously (DRL equipped or not) this was always done using stock F150 Ford truck bulbs that frankly never burnt out after well over 100,000 miles driven.
All of the bulbs recommended below are at least 30% higher output Sylvanias (or Ultras) and seem to be the least expensive way for me to be seen better without breaking the bank (or the law) when considering how short a lifespan these bulbs supposedly have.

Should I pick up a couple of sets of both during this sale...or is there another major brand out there with both longer life and perceived brightness regardless of price?

Also...if there are any other methods of improving visibility (do they make high vis graphics?) I'm all ears also; as improving visibility in any way possible is my #1 modification goal regardless of how much needs to be spent.

Again, I'd obviously like to 'see' much more also; yet the law seems pretty clear and Sylvania claims that they don't run afoul of it with their product

Thank you!

(5) 7443ST's (rear sidemarker, tail light, stop light)
(2) 921ST back-up light
(2) H11SU fog light
(2) 9003SU driving light (this is both high and low beam?)

Last edited by Fits Fine; 10-17-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
First, you should check your headlight aim. There's been a few threads on this which, though only https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-its-must.html comes to mind right now. There's a 10mm hex head bolt near the top of the headlight assembly, with a "down" next to it, I believe. You can run through the procedure here: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply, or just go to a wall with 30 feet of level surface in front, backup 25 feet or so from the wall, and adjust until it's almost level with the height of the lights relative to the car.

All that being said, the two brightest (in terms of light output) halogen bulbs at the stock wattage are the Philips X-TremePower and the Osram Nightbreakers. They're a bit hard to find, here's one source in the US:
H4 - HB2 - 9003 bulbs

The Phillips are supposed to be brighter because of the lack of tint, but a lot of people prefer the whiter light from the Nightbreakers.

You can also check on ebay, or if you don't mind going to a UK source, powerbulbs.com has them as well.

I'm not sure about options for the other bulbs, as I never bothered looking.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Narva rangepower +50s will actually increase the light output. I have them, and they are brighter than stock. If you research bulbs a little bit on Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply, you might come to the same conclusion that I did.

I like that they just look like regular headlights, but with the high beams on half-way (or something to that effect.) They just look brighter, and a little whiter as a result.

A very dicey late night drive through the Texas Hill Country filled with deer this summer proved them to be very useful. It was a country road on an inky black night. There was an SUV next to, or around me during the whole trip (only two cars on the road for miles and miles) and I could compare my light output with theirs in perfect conditions. My lights were reaching further down the road for sure. They won't last as long as stock, but the silverstars are notorious for needing replacement often and would probably be a worse investment. my .02

Old 10-17-2010, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clicq
just go to a wall with 30 feet of level surface in front, backup 25 feet or so from the wall, and adjust until it's almost level with the height of the lights relative to the car.
Just wanted to add that you don't actually need a "level" surface, just flat (a ramp works too if long enough). Plus, don't forget to mark on the wall where the headlight cutoff is when you're up close, so you know what to aim for.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the help.

I had to put in the Osrams right away (big trip) yet am thankful to have the other three choices and the adjustment procedure when they die prematurely as suggested (which shouldn't be long when used in the daytime). I will revive this thread when they do burn out and give the mileage; as well as any others after they are installed.

Again, the info is very much appreciated and I hope to return the favor.