2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Taking the plunge?????Hmmm...maybe!!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:35 AM
Exclamation Taking the plunge?????Hmmm...maybe!!

Hey everyone !!

so I currently am driving a 2006 a6 audi with 35k miles. I'm thinking about trading it in and getting a new fit sport for an equal trade. I'm pretty sure its do-able and I want a small fun car with good MPG and fun to drive after Ive been tugging my boat for the past two years haha. I'm thinking about either blue or white, not to sure would like to see both in person and up close to decide. For the options I only am looking to get the interior trim pieces and leather shift knob, but of course later on saving some money to get all the mugen parts. Its kind of motivation to get all of them ahaha. Wish me luck!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FreakyVeke
Hey everyone !!

so I currently am driving a 2006 a6 audi with 35k miles. I'm thinking about trading it in and getting a new fit sport for an equal trade...
Be sure to test, then test drive, and test drive again to be absolutely sure it's what you want. Trading an Audi A6 with only 35k miles for a Fit (Sport?) could be a decent deal for a dealer in certain national markets at this time... depends on ones circumstances.

Be sure you accept the ride comfort of the Fit after driving your Audi... the difference will be significant! I kept my SUV when purchasing my Fit. Believe me, while the Fit is no comfort dog (not for me anyway), when I get into my SUV I soon realize what real driving comfort is.

Also, be sure you're not going to miss the smooth deliverance of power you get from that Audi compared to the meager doses of power you'll get from the Fit. Personally, I don't think the Fit is slow... or, at least not nearly as slow as some say it is. But it's not winning any awards for it's absolute "get-up-and-go" either!

Like I said... test drive, test drive, test drive, then test drive again to be sure, before you take that plunge.

Am I disappointed in my Fit purchase? If I consider what the Fit is supposed to be and what I paid for it, then no, I'm not. Considering other issues with the Fit? If I had gotten rid of my SUV in order to buy the Fit, I would probably be a little irritated right about now.

Honda did a wonderful job with the Fit in lots of ways, but, there are things I think Honda slacked-out on. In fairness to Honda though, "slacked-out" only in ways not unlike other manufacturers who sell "compact" rides. Most compacts/subs are $h!t boxes as far as I'm concerned. The GE8 is far from a $h!t box!

It is a fun car. It has unfair amounts of room inside compared to other subs. Has one of the nicest small, 4 cylinder engines I've ever driven... and I'm finding I'm not so hesitant to mod the car myself. The modding part of the Fit is proving to be a blast, in and of itself.

Good luck!

Last edited by annunC8; 10-19-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:03 AM
annunc8 is right on.
My other car is an AWD subaru, and I can't really say that I would have chosen the fit if it was my only car. The fit is extremely well thought out and engineered (and I'm proud to own it), but the compromises are more apparent.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Well see I tried to go to Nissan and do a trade in for a Juke, but they were giving me a measly 17.5k for my car, and wanted me to add on an additional 6k so I walked away.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Well see I tried to go to Nissan and do a trade in for a Juke, but they were giving me a measly 17.5k for my car, and wanted me to add on an additional 6k so I walked away.
What trim level Juke and options? The Juke is definitely in a higher price bracket than the Fit.

If the Fit doesn't have navigation, then the Honda dealer is giving you pretty much the same trade-in on your A6.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:03 PM
I looked at a base S Juke with no options. They are marking the price up to shit due to so many people are interested and them getting sold as quick as they hit the lot. And what do you mean by if the fit doesn't have navi they are giving me the same price? All I am looking to do is trade in my car for a Fit sport with some accessories I dont need navi in the fit, 3rd party Garmins work better anyway.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 PM
I looked at a base S Juke with no options. They are marking the price up to shit due to so many people are interested and them getting sold as quick as they hit the lot. And what do you mean by if the fit doesn't have navi they are giving me the same price? All I am looking to do is trade in my car for a Fit sport with some accessories I dont need navi in the fit, 3rd party Garmins work better anyway.
Wow that's crazy about the markups! Dang...

I mean you said they were offering you a "measly 17.5k" for your Audi, which sounds like you feel they're lowballing you, but a Fit Sport with auto and without nav is ~$18000 MSRP including the destination charge, so they're pretty much offering you the same trade-in amount cashwise. Potentially less since you weren't likely going to pay full MSRP for the Fit.

Which is to say even though you don't have to pony up any cash out-of-pocket on the Fit, if you think the Nissan dealer is screwing you on the trade, the Honda dealer is screwing you equally on it.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Which is why I am looking to see if they would cover some accessories (Mugen wink wink) under the trade in. This way I get a new car that has more options then the base Juke that I would get without paying another 6 grand. And I am also sure the Fit wont drive any worse then the Juke, well maybe in the snow but I'm talking about fun-factor.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Also, another car I am looking at is the Fiesta. I heard the overall drive is better, but I am just no fan of American cars, anyone want to chime in on this?

Old 10-19-2010, 04:50 PM
I looked at the Fiesta before the Fit... the exterior looks a bit sharper, but the interior doesn't compare... I felt the Fiesta was too cramped.

I think you get more car for your money with the Fit =)

Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 PM
The Fiesta is an American car? Came over from Ford Europe. Is it built here? Check it out.
Never, and I repeat, NEVER trade in a car to a dealership. Go to Edmunds and get a fair market price for your Audi and sell it to an individual. You will add a minimum of 15% to what you would get from a dealer. Then go to the dealer and offer him the fair market value in your area for the Fit. Here, a new Fit Sport AT sells on the average of $17,391. Plus taxes, etc. Thats what a cash sale can do for you. Forget all this if you owe money on the Audi.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Well I don't owe any money on it.the thing about selling it to a personis that I would get maybe 21 for it which means if I but the fit with that money I'd spend close to 2 grand registering it instead if almost nothing if I do a trade in so I think its not really worth it as it would equal out. About the ford I know that it want built here but ford is still an american company and idki would pervert a honda or nissan over a ford and chevy 99% of the time.I'm probably going to test drive both cars tomorrow and see where things go.I'm just looking for a small car that's fun to drive I'm tired of my large boat I'm only 20 and my a6 is fun maybe when I'll have a family.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 PM
I agree with annouc8. Know what you are getting into. I went from an LS400 (talk about land yacht!) to an 88 civic wagon. I had to do some adjustments mentally for the change in vehicle. That being said, reliability, performance and, utility are all on the Fit's side considering the other vehicles you mentioned. (Even your A6, except performance)

You will always get a better deal selling it than trading it in. Audi's have great resale value comparatively. Yes, it is a little more stressful, but the dealer is going to play games with the numbers to get you to pay the most. If you sell you A6, you will have cash to play with. You will generally get a better deal with CASH, to!

The Fit is a great and practical car. You will enjoy it the more you use it!

Welcome to the forum

***I think the word you were looking for is "prefer" not "pervert."

Last edited by drumsauce; 10-19-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Haha yea sorry I'm using my phone keyboard lmao and I understand I'll get more money but if I can get a fit sport with some accessories for an equal trade on my car I'll be happy as I will be getting the car I want and weiner have to pay the full price tax on it.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe your state is different, but you'll still have to pay taxes on the new car. The trade-in is separate from the new car.

For example, your Audi trades in for 17,000 and your Fit cost 17,000. You'll still have to pay tax on the 17,000. Unless you got a shady dealer who will sell you a fit for $1 for the Audi.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Well I don't owe any money on it.the thing about selling it to a personis that I would get maybe 21 for it which means if I but the fit with that money I'd spend close to 2 grand registering it instead if almost nothing if I do a trade in so I think its not really worth it as it would equal out. About the ford I know that it want built here but ford is still an american company and idki would pervert a honda or nissan over a ford and chevy 99% of the time.I'm probably going to test drive both cars tomorrow and see where things go.I'm just looking for a small car that's fun to drive I'm tired of my large boat I'm only 20 and my a6 is fun maybe when I'll have a family.
Trade isn't as bad as many people make it sound. if you are trading in a fully paid for car, that's about $1000 in tax you don't have to pay which brings the final price down a bit. (leaving you more room for options)

Just some suggestions and my experience.
Know the dealer you go to. Go to the specific honda dealer's website and find a used car that is comparable to yours. Look what price they are asking on the lot, then look on kelly blue book for trade value. This is info you can use when haggling with the dealer. I did this when I traded our Altima 3.5SE. I knew they would put it on the lot for $20K, so I had an idea of what would be a fair price (they need to make money too). I told them in the negotiation.... based upon other cars on your lot, you will put mine out for $20k so I think this is a fair trade. I save $$$ and you make $$$. I told them that I would accept a difference in price of (in my case) $1500. If the price of the trade didnt' go up to match that $1500 difference, the price of the car had to come down. either way $1500 was the magic number. Took them a Week but they agreed. What I didn't tell them was that It still needed a $500 30k mile service. (so that was another $500 I saved).

~SB

Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 PM
The taxes are included in the purchase no?i heard alot of stats whose dmvs only charge the difference

Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spets
Maybe your state is different, but you'll still have to pay taxes on the new car. The trade-in is separate from the new car.

For example, your Audi trades in for 17,000 and your Fit cost 17,000. You'll still have to pay tax on the 17,000. Unless you got a shady dealer who will sell you a fit for $1 for the Audi.
I do not believe this is accurate. when trading a car, you do exactly that, TRADE the car. The dealer will then take the used car put it on the lot, and the tax will be paid by the next consumer that buys the Audi.

Our fit had about $90 in Tax on a $16.5K car. that money was based on the fact we got $15K for our trade so we owed tax on $1.5K which comes out to be $90 at 6%.

~SB

Old 10-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Yup exactly. And I think you pay the tax at the dealership right? So when you go to the dmv to transfer plates do they charge you that 100$ something tax there to?

Old 10-20-2010, 12:55 AM
your gonna love the FIT. People who don't, usually think it should be something it isnt..either way, maintenance is cheaper, gas.....hella cheaper. pride of ownership...well, check out this site. it should tell ya something. good luck. I love the ge8 in Taffy white. sick! Though, my bro in law just got a sensation blue. Niice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taking the plunge?????Hmmm...maybe!!