2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Oversized Oil Filter Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Oversized Oil Filter Options

New Fit owner here, did some searching and read one or two posts referencing "the s2000 oil filter" (not sure if it is the 1st or 2nd gen S2000 filter, or they are one in the same) as a larger replacement for the stock Fit oil filter.

Is this true?

Can anyone confirm what part number that is?

Or more importantly the dimensions of this filter? (I'll most likely try to match the dimensions/specs of the S2000 filter with an aftermarket filter)

This website lists specs/dimensions of a few OEM and aftermarket filters for the Fit (I guess the 1st/2nd gen take the same filter), but not the oversized filters that will fit:

Honda Fit Oil Filter | Free Shipping | 2007 - 2009, 2007 - 2010, Fram, Hastings

Some of the filters list the direct replacement specs:

"3.47 in. H, 20 x 1.5 mm thread ID, 2.69 in. OD, full-flow lube spin-on, canister style, 13 relief valve setting"

"M20 x 1.5 thread, 2-21/32 in. OD, 3-1/2 in. L; Includes 1 gasket, anti-drainback valve, and 14 PSID by-pass valve"

"Ht=85mm Dia=69mm"

"3.75 in. H, 0.5 lb weight, 2.78 in. OD, M20 x 1.5 thread ID, 13-17 PSI relief valve"

I need the specs of the S2000 filter or any oversized filter that will work in the given space under the car. Thanks!

Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
The part number of the S2000 oil filter is 15400-PCX-004. I have some laying around (I have an S2000 as well), but I haven't done an oil change on the Fit yet so I can't tell you if it fits. Don't see why not though.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Why would you want to put the wrong size filter instead of the correct one?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Bigger filter (given the same constants of filter media area, and filter media type etc. etc.) equals...

- Larger oil capacity
- More filter media = less restriction
- Larger capacity to hold debris so the filter is less likely to be clogged (and bypassed) on extended drain intervals.

Originally Posted by Virtual
Why would you want to put the wrong size filter instead of the correct one?

Old 10-20-2010, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
I did this for 7 of the 8 years that I owned my PT Cruiser. That car has a Turbo engine option. The filter for the Turbo engine fit the NA model. I used it because of all the points mentioned above, as well as the fact that it theoretically would be less restrictive in the winter when the oil is very thick at start-up.

I never thought of doing it with the Fit, but if there's a filter that will work, I'd use it.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Honda uses the same filter (1500-PLM-A01) for the 2.4k engine as well as the V6 in the Ridgeline & Odyssey. It should be ok for the little Fit 1.5. I also use this filter for my Honda Valkyrie flat 6. I would be interested in finding out if the S2000 filter works on the Fit.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Oil filters

Originally Posted by Bster13
New Fit owner here, did some searching and read one or two posts referencing "the s2000 oil filter" (not sure if it is the 1st or 2nd gen S2000 filter, or they are one in the same) as a larger replacement for the stock Fit oil filter.

Is this true?

Can anyone confirm what part number that is?

Or more importantly the dimensions of this filter? (I'll most likely try to match the dimensions/specs of the S2000 filter with an aftermarket filter)

This website lists specs/dimensions of a few OEM and aftermarket filters for the Fit (I guess the 1st/2nd gen take the same filter), but not the oversized filters that will fit:

Honda Fit Oil Filter | Free Shipping | 2007 - 2009, 2007 - 2010, Fram, Hastings

Some of the filters list the direct replacement specs:

"3.47 in. H, 20 x 1.5 mm thread ID, 2.69 in. OD, full-flow lube spin-on, canister style, 13 relief valve setting"

"M20 x 1.5 thread, 2-21/32 in. OD, 3-1/2 in. L; Includes 1 gasket, anti-drainback valve, and 14 PSID by-pass valve"

"Ht=85mm Dia=69mm"

"3.75 in. H, 0.5 lb weight, 2.78 in. OD, M20 x 1.5 thread ID, 13-17 PSI relief valve"

I need the specs of the S2000 filter or any oversized filter that will work in the given space under the car. Thanks!
Hi,
I work for Fram as the technical manager. You can find the specs you are looking for by going to our website, www.Fram.com. Use the parts lookup on the top bar, you will find all specs for any filter in our online catalog. They tell the length, diameter, thread size, relief valve setting and more.
Good luck!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks very much Motorking. It's great to see a manufacturer provide so many details on their filters.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
just be careful if you do this and something happens.
the dealer will X your warranty really quick.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 PM
The dip stick or the 0w-XX?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
The dip stick or the 0w-XX?

X equals cancel your warranty on the over sized
filter.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Sorry, confused this thread with another one I have about dipstick heaters and lower weight oil.

It'd be great if you could provide me with any empirical proof on the warranty being voided for an oversized filter. Thx.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
like i said. if something happens.
for instance something fails in your engine
while under warranty. then your dealer notices you
have this huge filter. they will blame the filter and void
your warranty. it's what they do to get out of doing
warranty work.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:48 PM
I am a regular lurker on Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™ I don't believe this to be true. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by niko3257
like i said. if something happens.
for instance something fails in your engine
while under warranty. then your dealer notices you
have this huge filter. they will blame the filter and void
your warranty. it's what they do to get out of doing
warranty work.
They might try, but legally they'd have to prove the part in question (oversized oil filter) was the cause of the failure.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Using a larger filter is about equivalent to using a different oil the Honda oil. If it meets the specs for filtration then it will not void your warranty. The only advantage, that I can see, to a larger filter is the increase oil capacity. The volume is so small that there is little gain. That being said I would have no problem using a larger quality filter.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:26 PM
- Larger oil capacity
- Larger capacity to hold debris so the filter is less likely to be clogged (and bypassed) on extended drain intervals.

Originally Posted by Farther
Using a larger filter is about equivalent to using a different oil the Honda oil. If it meets the specs for filtration then it will not void your warranty. The only advantage, that I can see, to a larger filter is the increase oil capacity. The volume is so small that there is little gain. That being said I would have no problem using a larger quality filter.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 AM
oil filters and Honda warranty

- Larger oil capacity
Honda has recently published a paper "warning" customers about using non Honda parts and saying "they may" void Honda warranty if they "do not meet honda specs". As previously stated here, No automaker publishes these mysterious oil filter "specs". We buy (in the Honda case we make many of the OE Hon filters) the Oe filter and subject it to efficiency and capacity testing, burst strength and bypass opening pressure tests and then either make or match the right filter to the vehicle. The FTC and ASA have sent notice to Honda that the paper violates the Magnussen Moss warranty act. No response from honda so far. They could technically void your warranty if you used a filter that is not listed as the correct filter for your vehicle as long as they can prove the filter caused the engine failure. Fram would not warranty and engine failure caused by a use of a filter that is not listed in our catalog as being correct for your vehicle. That being said, using a larger filter has no real benefit as the additional oil would be mere ounces, like maybe 3-4 ounces more. If your looking for additional capacity, meaning the filters ability to trap and hold dirt without going into bypass, we have it. The Fram Extended Guard filter traps and holds almost 2.5 times as many grams of dirt as the standard filter does. It is pricey at 8-10$ but it allows 10k oil changes when used with quality synthetic oil. Mobil 1 makes a simialr filter that traps aroiund 2x's the dirt as standard, cost is 12-13$. I am happy to answer your filter questions at Jay.Buckley@Honeywell.com

Old 10-29-2010, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
note to all the warranty nervous nellies:

you all need to recall the maintenance minder says the regular oil changes are gonna roll over only at about 12,500miles.

And "officially" you only need to change the filter every OTHER oil change (A1 vs B1).

My net point being is the FIT is really easy on oil.
Iif you're already fastidious enough to be one picking out specific filters, you're probably also not waiting 12,5000miles for an oil change. So you're already going 2x-4x beyond the official filter change requirements, and way more than Joe Moron is doing. Point is you likely aren't going to be experiencing oil-related engine failures (YMMV).

Last edited by raytseng; 10-29-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:48 AM
I switched over to Mobil 1 0w30 at 14,686 and have put on 4k since then and I plan on going with the Royal Purple synthetic oil filter with my Mobil 1 oil and this is because I read on the Royal Purple box that the filter media is 100% synthetic whereas the Mobil 1 filter is a synthetic blend, that's the one I've been using for years. I plan on leaving the oil in all the way until the oil minder says 0%, so this is why I want the very best oil filter on there, hell, I may go past the 0% because its true, the Fit engine is VERY easy on oil. I remember when I had my first oil change at 8,400 and the oil minder was 15% and honestly, the oil still looked pretty good.

What do you guys think about the full synthetic oil filter compared to Mobil 1 and the blended one. The cost of the RP filter is about a dollar or two more, that's it.

BTW, if a larger filter works on the Fit, I'm going for it. I had an 87' Grand National and there was a larger filter for that car that worked and switched over to it right away without a problem

Quick Reply: Oversized Oil Filter Options