2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Opinion on winter tires and rims for 2010 Fit Sport

Old 11-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Question Opinion on winter tires and rims for 2010 Fit Sport

Hi everyone,

I've come here a few times to research things in the past, but never posted. Here's my first go at it.

Note that I'm from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Lots of snow/ice/slush.

I bought a new 2010 Fit Sport in May and now have to buy winter tires and I want to have them on their own winter steel rims while I use my all-seasons that came with the car during non-winter months.

As the size of OEM all-seasons is 185/55R16 and is apparently a rare size and I'm having difficulty finding rims of this size that have a pattern matching my car model (I found tires, but not rims), I've done some research, which has given me these two other sizes that would be relatively "the same" (very minimal change in size):

175/65R15
205/50R16

Question 1: Are you aware of this issue with finding rims for the OEM size? Should I keep looking?

Question 2: I read that a narrower and possibly lighter tire such as the 175/65R15 would be better in winter to cut through slush and snow. On the other hand, wouldn't the larger one provide better traction and more surface contact? What's better? The incentive is that the smaller size is cheaper and more readily available.

Question 3: I read somewhere that not using the OEM size of 185/55R16 void the warranty. Is this correct??? This freaks me out. My car is brand new and I don't want to do anything that would void my warranty.

Question 4: In the OEM size, my choice would have been a Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60. Now that I'm considering the 175/65R15 size, it gives me an additonal option (which happens to be on sale at Costco and have a mail-in rebate) of the Michelin XI2. My father recommended the Bridgestone, but apparently the Michelin might be better.... I have no idea, as I've only driven with Pirelli Carving Edge on a 2007 Fit LX before and I was ok with them (fiancé didn't like them for some reason).

Any help with choosing the size and brand would be really appreciated! I'm trying to get my tires installed by midweek next week...

Thank you!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 PM
205/50/R16 you will most likely find. ive got 195/55/R15's on my Fit right now. im sure its not a recommended size but it clears the brakes and it works so ya. Hankook I-Pike tires.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:34 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
Q1. Yes, we also have problem finding after market rims in the same size. It doesn't seem to be common.
Q2. narrower tires give you more traction on snow. Wide tires turn into skis or snowboard.
Q3. 175/65R15 is OEM size, that comes in the LX. This is a better choice for winter tires than 185/55R16. If in fear, ask your dealer. I think you are more than safe with this.
Q4. WS60 and Xi2 are both very good winter tires, I have ued WS and Xice before and like them both. Xi2 is suppose to be better than Xice. There are independent test reports on them too. The last one I saw was on Consumer Reports. Xi2 was ranked #1 if I remember correctly.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Best choice is the 175/65R15 Blizzaks and definitively won't affect warranty as that is the stock size on the non sport models. It's also what I put on mine. I got my 15" Fit steel rims from my Honda dealer.

Another choice is to go to 14" Civic rims and 185/70R14 which is almost the same overall diameter. Cheaper too.

Last edited by Virtual; 11-16-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 AM
If you buy a set of stock 15" Fit steel wheels, you could use a 195/60R15 tire which is almost the exact same circumference as the 16" Sport wheel/tire, so there wouldn't be a problem with speedometer error.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by weeladdie
If you buy a set of stock 15" Fit steel wheels, you could use a 195/60R15 tire which is almost the exact same circumference as the 16" Sport wheel/tire, so there wouldn't be a problem with speedometer error.
The 175/65R15, with make/model of tire being equal, should be better in snow due to the narrower tire cutting better through snow (wide tires tend to float more on snow/slush).

Old 11-17-2010, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mynameisphunk
The 175/65R15, with make/model of tire being equal, should be better in snow due to the narrower tire cutting better through snow (wide tires tend to float more on snow/slush).
This is certainly true, but another thing to consider is that (at least on Tirerack), there's more of a selection of winter tires for 195/60R15. Not sure if it matters since the Blizzaks and X-Ice are both good winter tires, I just mention it in case you want other options.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:29 PM
what is everyone using for winter rim size and tires on a 2009-10 fit sport?
I need to buy a set and want to know what the best size to go to would be, staying as close to the 185/55/16 diameter as possible! either with a 15 inch or 14 wheel

thanks

Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
You can see a couple of options people have used above -- generally, narrower tires will cut through the snow better (and are a little cheaper). Tires for 14" rims also tend to be cheaper, and people have used 14" wheels successfully (tirerack also sells a 14" package, so it should fit).

Personally I'm using Contiental ExtremeWinterContacts 195/60R15 on 15x6 steel wheels with a 45mm offset. No snow yet, but they seem fine on dry roads, though softer than the stock tires (the recent warmer than average weather hasn't helped that any). They were rated #1 in a recent Tirerack test, though the tirerack staff over in the Fit Shoes forum still recommend blizzaks.

As for checking the tire size compared to stock, you can (and should) check it yourself using one of many tire size calculators on the web, like Tire size calculator. 195/60R15 will make your speedometer read 0.8% slow, 175/65R15 would make it read 0.2% too fast, and 185/70R14 would also make it read 0.8% slow.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
I haven't picked up tires yet but will likely be going 185 or 175 on 15" wheels. The narrower the tire, the better for winter driving so you aren't "floating" up on top of the snow, but cutting through it. I picked up 15" integra alloys for $12.50 each and while they need a bit of refinishing, I'm not worried as it's winter wheels. check Craigslist or similar for rims as they are Readily available. Civic or Integra 15" or larger (supposedly 14" or larger will work but I stuck to 15") will fit with no issues. I had to check with a number of people about bolt spacing as there were a number of wheels out there that claimed they fit on a civic but actually they were for an Accord. The Accord used to use a 4 bolt pattern but it is 114, not 100.

$50 and 110miles of driving (got to go to the mall there so it wasn't just for tires) and i have 4 15" integra Mesh wheels.

~SB

Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Like Virtual, I picked up a set of 15" steel wheels from the base Fit last fall from the dealer and mounted 175/65/15 ContiWinterContact TS810S tires.

These tires lack some of the hardcore grip that the Blizzaks (and other similar tires) offer on the ice, however they are not nearly as squirmy on dry roads, especially at higher speeds. The narrow tire definitely bites through the deep snow well, but if you see a lot of ice and slush the narrow Blizzaks would be really good.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
I've looked at some craigslist wheel listings too of old 4x100 lug wheels, but I keep wondering what you guys who have gone that route have done about TPMS sensors. Just leave them off and have the light on all the time? Can new sensors be installed on old wheels that weren't designed to accept them?

Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 PM
I lived for the first 38 years of my life in South Dakota and never had snow tires. Based on that, I suggest that you get a set of cable chains, store them in the back of the car for emergencies and try the stock all seasons for the first winter.

If that is unacceptable I would recommend the Nokian WRG2 in size 205/50-16, mounted on your stock wheels, and just keep them on year around with the cable chains stored in the back of the Fit for emergencies.

If you have to go with dedicated winter tires on dedicated rims, I would suggest Nokian Hakkapeliitta R or studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 both in size 205/50-16. To stud or not to stud depends on if you are driving on a lot of dry roads or not.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by huisj
I've looked at some craigslist wheel listings too of old 4x100 lug wheels, but I keep wondering what you guys who have gone that route have done about TPMS sensors. Just leave them off and have the light on all the time? Can new sensors be installed on old wheels that weren't designed to accept them?
Skip the TPMS Sensors. The only thing they do is notify you of low temps. (on the Navi however, a lack of TPMS sensors will enable VSA all of the time). if you put TPMS sensors on the wheels, that'll mean a trip to the dealer twice/year if you don't pick up the device to program them. no cost savings over having your tires mounted and balanced twice/year on the OEM wheels.

Originally Posted by Farther
I lived for the first 38 years of my life in South Dakota and never had snow tires. Based on that, I suggest that you get a set of cable chains, store them in the back of the car for emergencies and try the stock all seasons for the first winter.

If that is unacceptable I would recommend the Nokian WRG2 in size 205/50-16, mounted on your stock wheels, and just keep them on year around with the cable chains stored in the back of the Fit for emergencies.

If you have to go with dedicated winter tires on dedicated rims, I would suggest Nokian Hakkapeliitta R or studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 both in size 205/50-16. To stud or not to stud depends on if you are driving on a lot of dry roads or not.
I went the first year on both my Altima & My FIT on the All Seasons and all went fine on both. (this past year was a really easy winter though so it's not a good judge.) I'd recommend snow tires for places that often have snowcovered roads for weeks at a shot. A number of non-primary roads here in VT get plowed but retain a 1"-2" "base" that never melts, never is cleared and is very smooth/quiet (actually very nice) to drive on. I used Firestone Winterforce & Hankook Winter iPike in the past and prefer the winterforce but my comparison isn't quite even as the integra & Civic(both winterforce) were 500-600lbs lighter than the altima (hankook) and had narrower tires (185 & 195 vs 215). We'll probably go with the General Altimaxx Artic for Price reasons (and they've been rated really quite well) unless I can Find some 1 yr old Hakkapelita's

~SB

Old 11-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by clicq
You can see a couple of options people have used above -- generally, narrower tires will cut through the snow better (and are a little cheaper). Tires for 14" rims also tend to be cheaper, and people have used 14" wheels successfully (tirerack also sells a 14" package, so it should fit).

Personally I'm using Contiental ExtremeWinterContacts 195/60R15 on 15x6 steel wheels with a 45mm offset. No snow yet, but they seem fine on dry roads, though softer than the stock tires (the recent warmer than average weather hasn't helped that any). They were rated #1 in a recent Tirerack test, though the tirerack staff over in the Fit Shoes forum still recommend blizzaks.

As for checking the tire size compared to stock, you can (and should) check it yourself using one of many tire size calculators on the web, like Tire size calculator. 195/60R15 will make your speedometer read 0.8% slow, 175/65R15 would make it read 0.2% too fast, and 185/70R14 would also make it read 0.8% slow.
I did the 14" option. For the Canucks, Canadian tire sells the OEM and generic fit. I bought a standard 4x100 generic, took it home and tested it for clearance. The Goodyear Nordics in 14" end up being the same diameter as the 16's, plus they ride smoother because of the higher profile. 14's are cheaper as well. I like'm. They have just been put back on the car for their second season.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks everyone.

FWIW, I ended up buying the 175/65R15 and Michelin XI2. I also called the dealership to ask about warranty screwups and they said I'm fine since this size is the same as the original size of 185/55R16 (equivalent, 0.2% too fast). I'm paying CAD$107.50 per tire, plus $45 per rim at Costco. Best deal I could find.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like the new Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires will be available in the OE honda fit sport size next year.

Will the prior generation wheels clear the sport suspension / brakes?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitit2010
Looks like the new Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires will be available in the OE honda fit sport size next year.

Will the prior generation wheels clear the sport suspension / brakes?
If you are referring to 15" wheels from the GD3 Sport, then yes, they will fit just fine. I ran 15" Integra Alloys as my snows this winter. Any 15" civic or integra 4x100 wheel will work just fine on the fit. FYI, Honda Accord wheels will not work as they are 4x114.5

Check Craigslist for wheels. I got a set of 15" alloys off of craigslist for $50

~SB

Old 09-07-2011, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
looking more closely at my new Fit Sport I don't think I want to use my old(but still good) 205/55 16 Hakka RSIs and get some studded Hakka 7 175/65 15s

Old 09-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Aerya
Thanks everyone.

FWIW, I ended up buying the 175/65R15 and Michelin XI2. I also called the dealership to ask about warranty screwups and they said I'm fine since this size is the same as the original size of 185/55R16 (equivalent, 0.2% too fast). I'm paying CAD$107.50 per tire, plus $45 per rim at Costco. Best deal I could find.
Canadian Tire in Calgary 175/65R15 Michelin XI2 is selling them at $107.50 and will have to add about $ 26 for tire tax, balancing and warranty. Today (Sep 7, 2011) is the last day of this deal which is listed in their flyer.

One of the dealers here is selling OEM 15" rims at $69. They also have a winter tire package with 15" OEM steel rims & XI2 at $ 901+GST.

Last edited by fiteddy; 09-07-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: edit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinion on winter tires and rims for 2010 Fit Sport