2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda announces recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Come on man - ending a tough week???

Old 02-26-2011, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
I went through the entire recall process. well sort of.
called dealer.
checked vin.
car is recalled.
brought car next morning.
got called around lunch time.
car is recalled, but the springs are not. nothing needs to be done.
So i guess everyone need to get their car check out to be sure.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by jinjinweiwei
called dealer.
checked vin.
car is recalled.
Good to hear your FIT does not have bad springs after all. Did the dealership proactively checked other stuff in the vicinity as well for other potential brewing issues or wear and tear (preventive maintenance with labour paid by Honda) since the cover has been opened to gain access to the springs?

Last edited by Ric01; 02-26-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
Good to hear your FIT does not have bad springs after all. Did the dealership proactively checked other stuff in the vicinity as well for other potential brewing issues or wear and tear (preventive maintenance with labour paid by Honda) since the cover has been opened to gain access to the springs?
That I honestly don't know.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
I thought they had to replace springs in all of them not test and replace if necessary. How the heck are they going to test whether a spring is bad or not?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 AM
As I understand the recall, it's a two stage affair; VIN ranges prompt the recall, then the inspection revels a production number that then determines the replacement of all the springs.

Not all vehicles being called in will necessarily have rocker assembly production numbers indicating they have the suspect springs.

At least that's how I read the details of what I've seen posted in this thread.
I'm also seeing my FIT is not in the recall, and I was wishing for a free valve adjustment. Dang!

K_C_

Old 02-26-2011, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
As I understand the recall, it's a two stage affair; VIN ranges prompt the recall, then the inspection revels a production number that then determines the replacement of all the springs.

Not all vehicles being called in will necessarily have rocker assembly production numbers indicating they have the suspect springs.

I'm also seeing my FIT is not in the recall, and I was wishing for a free valve adjustment. Dang!

K_C_
Thank you.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jinjinweiwei
called dealer.
checked vin.
car is recalled.
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal

K_C_

That is how I'm understanding this. But I believe if your VIN is outside the recall range...you don't even have to be part of the recall or the inspection...so technically not EVERYONE needs to get there vehicle checked out.

If you fall within the VINS on the recall range...then you need to be inspected...at that point you may or may NOT need spring replacement.

It's more of a IF A then B...if B then C...

My reading of the Alphaquad provided information suggests to me, that I'm NOT part of the VINS that will lead to my vehicle being part of the recall, of course IF I receive a notice...I'll follow through...but I'm not expecting to be recalled.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:07 PM
I think the rationale of this spring inspection process may have being discussed extensively in previous posts about the possible mixture of different batch of springs in the same bucket.

My layman's mechanically challenged analogy which some may find it naively repulsive - replenishing of different batches of fried chickens in a buffet restaurant and if one batch is contaminated, I would not know if I had consumed the contaminated one if I had been to that restaurant - so I need to go see a doctor for check up regardless

Last edited by Ric01; 02-26-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
does anyone know if the car needs to return to stock before bringing it in for recall? my vin number is within range, and i have a Cold air intake.. but its such a pain to take off the stock intake.. so i was kinda wondering.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't think it would. It's an issue with the quality of the LMS, little to do with anything else. Ya gets the letter ya calls the dealer and ya ask a few questions, one being ya gots a CAI - any problem - and they say.... nope ya hope.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
Would this spring have a domino effect? I mean same type of spring material and or manufacturing procedures on other honda lineup?
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
That is entirely possible, but we should wait and see.

You can bet money they are investigating that
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/othe...tour-dead.html

could this be???

Old 02-27-2011, 12:40 AM
oops! The plot does thicken. We will all be interested to hear the verdict.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
I would recommend anyone who thinks they are in the recall club, just call your dealer and see if they're ready for you now. I called mine today, minus any letter, just to see where they were at with this. They're ready to go to do this fix. Going in Monday. I'm sure it depends on the dealer, but call- you may be surprised.

Dan

Old 02-28-2011, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, so I got the recall fix today. I wasn't at all surprised that my Fit needed the fix. I was happy that my dealers service department was great. It took 1 1/2 hours to do. The fix does include a valve adjustment as well. I had quite a bit of mixed driving to do right after the fix- about 45 miles worth. No problems. I even get 70 mpg now! Well, no....not really I know it's in my mind, but pickup seems tighter now. I never had any ticking noise like others have reported along the way with their Fits, but somehow everything feels tighter and a bit more robust pickup. Like I said, that can be a mind game though. What isn't a mind game is my peace of mind now. I can drive without worry and do my long trip this weekend without fretting. I'm just glad it's done.

Thanks for the recall and repair Honda! I like continued product support, bottom line.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 02-28-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Ok, so I got the recall fix today. I wasn't at all surprised that my Fit needed the fix. I was happy that my dealers service department was great. It took 1 1/2 hours to do. The fix does include a valve adjustment as well. I had quite a bit of mixed driving to do right after the fix- about 45 miles worth. No problems. I even get 70 mpg now! Well, no....not really I know it's in my mind, but pickup seems tighter now. I never had any ticking noise like others have reported along the way with their Fits, but somehow everything feels tighter and a bit more robust pickup. Like I said, that can be a mind game though. What isn't a mind game is my peace of mind now. I can drive without worry and do my long trip this weekend without fretting. I'm just glad it's done.

Thanks for the recall and repair Honda! I like continued product support, bottom line.

Dan
Did you

(A) get a letter
(B) VIN search at owner's link said recall
(C) non of the above (pre-emptive)

Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM
link to my dead crosstour thread that's a MUST read!!!

all who are affected on the recall must read and must not wait longer to get the problem fixed...

here's my link and you be the judge...https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/othe...tml#post966903

when I finally get my crosstour... I will update on details of the fix that was done...

and to HONDA that stated that this Lost Motion Spring is not a dangerous recall... I was just lucky that when my car stalled and died, no one was behind me and mostly I was not on the freeway.

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 02-28-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up for the excellent info in the thread including service bulletin. Mine seems to have avoided it based on the vin range

Last edited by jondotcom; 02-28-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
Did you

(A) get a letter
(B) VIN search at owner's link said recall
(C) non of the above (pre-emptive)
Alpha quad posted the effected VIN#'s, so that's how I knew I was in there. Thank you AQ!

It was pre-emptive on my part though. Didn't get a letter yet. VIN search at my Honda Owners Link came up showing no recall at this time. I just called my dealer and they were already doing inspections and fixes for the recall, so in I went. And I would have bet my mortgage I needed the actual fix, and I would have won. My '09 Fit bought in August of that year was a prime target.

ThEvil0nE- sorry to read your thread going there. In one respect, I hope it is the springs recall so you know the answer but in another, I sure hope the damage didn't completely hose that engine. I suppose a new engine on Honda's dime wouldn't be all too bad though. But that would point to a WAY more wide spread problem with this. And I agree, a car that shuts down in a moments notice at any time, anywhere, is a serious safety hazard. It's happened to me in the past. That's why I brought my Fit in ASAP and just got it done.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 02-28-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Stopped by my dealer this afternoon and had him look at my engine bay to see if I needed to remove my Strut Tower Bar and he recommended that I not only remove it but my INTAKE also. He asked if I had the stock box and told me that it would be a good idea to reinstall it before I take the car in. I did not ask any questions and have no problem with it. He then made my appointment for Monday minus any letter. He referred to the Service bulletin to verify my vin and that was all it took. So either call or stop down to your local dealer to make an appointment if you do not want to wait.

Last edited by wiona; 02-28-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Honda announces recall