2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What kind of anti-rust do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
What kind of anti-rust do you use?

Got a new Fit this week and I am wondering what should I do about rust. Paid like 500$ for Honda wax, but I was wondering if oil anti-rust, like Krown, is an option. I am not sure about having my brand new car drilled and I have read there may be some problems with the oil interacting with the rubber...

Where I live it is damn cold in winter and lot of salt everywhere. I need anti-rust, but getting the best one isn't easy...

Any idea?

Old 05-08-2011, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
I've had some "rail dust" in the paint after winters, a clay will clear up most of it.

For a rust preventative, Krown seems to be a good option. There's a lot of DIY products for the undercarriage too. Fluid Film seems to be excellent.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
What about Krown and rubber? I have read that it can litteraly destroy the rubbers... Maybe it's not that important as rubbers are cheaper than a rusted car?

I was also considering getting wax (but not from Honda dealer), but my feeling is that oil can go in places where wax can't...

Old 05-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Back in the old days when I lived up north. We used a 50/50 mixture of 30 weight oil and kerosene as time went by lamp oil (deodorized kerosene with scent added) was substituted for the kerosene.

Plastic plugs were bought and holes were drilled in strategic places, a garden sprayer was used to apply the mixture. It was also liberally applied to the entire under carriage of the vehicle.. I believe newspaper was draped over the exhaust system by some? This was done once or twice a year.

There are 2 people left that I know of that did this. They have 30+ year old rust free vehicles!
HTH JIm 0311

Old 05-08-2011, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitter123
What about Krown and rubber? I have read that it can litteraly destroy the rubbers... Maybe it's not that important as rubbers are cheaper than a rusted car?

I was also considering getting wax (but not from Honda dealer), but my feeling is that oil can go in places where wax can't...
I'd check with Krown, but I'd think they'd want their product to be safe with rubber components.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:54 AM
I've been using Krown on my Ody x 10yrs in southern ontario, no rust engine or body (the only place that has rust is inside the van!!!). I rarely wash the van other than when Spring starts when salt and warmer temperature is harder on the metal (silver is great at hiding the salt dirt!!), and get it spray in late summer when warm. Messy but works.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
I've had great results with Antirouille Metropolitain (see pic in sig).

Check it out if you're in the province of Quebec: http://www.antirouille.com/en

Last edited by Virtual; 06-12-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Got a new Fit this week and I am wondering what should I do about rust. Paid like 500$ for Honda wax, but I was wondering if oil anti-rust, like Krown, is an option. I am not sure about having my brand new car drilled and I have read there may be some problems with the oil interacting with the rubber...

Where I live it is damn cold in winter and lot of salt everywhere. I need anti-rust, but getting the best one isn't easy...

Any idea?
My profile says I'm in Texas so one would assume I know nothing about Canada, snow and salt, but to the contrary... I spent many years in Canada dealing with all this.

How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle?

The new vehicles are designed to be more resistance to corrosion than the older ones used to be. If it was me and I still had a vehicle in Canada I would not bother with rust treatment. The holes that need to be drilled for an effective treatment are new points themselves where rust can start.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FanOfFit
I've been using Krown on my Ody x 10yrs in southern ontario, no rust engine or body (the only place that has rust is inside the van!!!). I rarely wash the van other than when Spring starts when salt and warmer temperature is harder on the metal (silver is great at hiding the salt dirt!!), and get it spray in late summer when warm. Messy but works.

Any idea?
Where in Ontario you two?

I had mine undercoated by the dealer when I bought it. Seems to be just fine. Only think is when you open the hood it is not nice and shiny as there is a fine coating on a lot of the painted parts as it should be.

bill

Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Follow-up

Been using Krown for two years now (twice a year) and the rubber bushing around the trunk is starting to swell. I spray silicon whenere I can (I've read it helps) but still it su*ks.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
I don't use any

Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i use rustoluem paint on the under carriage from time to time when i see surface rust, but other then that no need for further rust protection.

i put a dab of motor oil on a lot of the exposed bare metal bits in my engine bay and that seemed to work real well for our salty winter weather.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
KY Jelly. What?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:28 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by solbrothers
I don't use any
And it shows

Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paul56
My profile says I'm in Texas so one would assume I know nothing about Canada, snow and salt, but to the contrary... I spent many years in Canada dealing with all this.

How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle?

The new vehicles are designed to be more resistance to corrosion than the older ones used to be. If it was me and I still had a vehicle in Canada I would not bother with rust treatment. The holes that need to be drilled for an effective treatment are new points themselves where rust can start.
Not all treatments need holes to be drilled. Mine (MiracleShield) didn't. I had extra put on underneath for sound damping.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:14 PM
+1 on rustoluem paint.
I usually clean and paint over any signs of rust on the underside.

During winter, when driven over salt for a while, I usually take the car to car wash and power spray the underside to try to remove as much salt as possible.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
best way is to wash the under carriage using a lawn sprinkler after winter. yah funny as hell, but it works. place your car on ramps and run a sprinkler for 15min for the front, 15min for the rear.

after all dry, then check for surface rust. wire brush it off, clean it, and spray (or with brush) rustoleum. that's about all it takes to keep the car nice for a long time.

also, during the winter, try to keep your car as dry as possible. salt by itself doesn't do much damage. it's when you introduce water it completely accelerates the corrosion.

but these cars are imo made to last at least 5-6 years with partially neglected use so im sure with a little care, it can last 10+years easily.