2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Making a right turn on red without coming to a complete stop. 2x. Am i fucked?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by krakhed
Yellow simply means caution and if you get into the intersection in time before it's actually red you're legit. At least that's how I was explained it to by a police office in Louisiana.

Or that's how he decided whom to ticket.
For most, you're supposed to completely clear the intersection before the red.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by krakhed
Yellow simply means caution and if you get into the intersection in time before it's actually red you're legit. At least that's how I was explained it to by a police office in Louisiana.

Or that's how he decided whom to ticket.

That may be true in some places...but a red light camera doesn't decide whom to ticket....once the flash goes off, and a pic shows your car is not all the way through an intersection by the time the light changes to red, I think you'll be getting a ticket.

The only consolation is that here in NY, you don't get any points on your license...just a $50 ticket {might have gone up to $75..not sure}.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Fizban
If there is no camera at the intersection and I approach and see the crosswalk sign blinking, I know I could maintain my speed and pass the intersection in time...which means possibly passing through when the light turns yellow. With the red light cameras, passing while it is yellow is a no-no, you can't make it through the whole intersection in time on a yellow and it will snap a pic of your license plate as the light turns red.....this means either you speed up to try and make it through in time, or slow down and possibly get caught in between...then breaking hard to stop, causing a rear-end collision.....all of this because of a camera light.
If you cross the limit line (the line just before the crosswalk) or the imaginary limit line while the light is caution you will not get a red light ticket. You will get a ticket only if you "enter" the intersection on red, not caution. Do you think that someone that sets in the left lane with their left turn signal on will get a ticket if he completes his turn after oncoming traffic stops because of a red light? If you think yes you're wrong.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fizban
If there is no camera at the intersection and I approach and see the crosswalk sign blinking, I know I could maintain my speed and pass the intersection in time...which means possibly passing through when the light turns yellow. With the red light cameras, passing while it is yellow is a no-no, you can't make it through the whole intersection in time on a yellow and it will snap a pic of your license plate as the light turns red.....this means either you speed up to try and make it through in time, or slow down and possibly get caught in between...then breaking hard to stop, causing a rear-end collision.....all of this because of a camera light.
Originally Posted by whaap
If you cross the limit line (the line just before the crosswalk) or the imaginary limit line while the light is caution you will not get a red light ticket. You will get a ticket only if you "enter" the intersection on red, not caution. Do you think that someone that sets in the left lane with their left turn signal on will get a ticket if he completes his turn after oncoming traffic stops because of a red light? If you think yes you're wrong.
Agree, review your traffic handbook before giving false information.

Also, the amount of time that a light stays yellow is standardized based on the speed limit. So if you are going at or under the speed limit, you should have plenty of time to react to a yellow light, you do not need to make split-second decisions or have a massive braking system, or somehow be a superhuman driver in order to obey the law.

There are some lights that are on the fritz though, whose timing for yellow->red or amount of time on green maybe non-standard. If you get ticketed under these conditions, then you have a case for dismissal.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Thumbs down The reason...

Originally Posted by specboy
I've heard a few times that RL cams cause more accidents. does anyone know of any stats on this? I'd think that 95% of people really wouldn't even know they are there and then when they find out, they'll likely be more cautious at most all intersections. It's more along the lines of conditioning... Probably the majority of people that I know wouldn't even know what a RL cam looks like let alone be able to tell if any place other than where they were snagged themselves has one
Is that in many places to increase revenues the same intersections change the yellow light to a 2 second yellow from a normal 3 second yellow. So while at a regular intersection you would have time to clear at the 2 second yellow you don't. The people in the area who know about the yellow and the camera slam on the brakes to avoid the ticket, while the people behind them are driving normal and run into the rear of their vehicle.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
Is that in many places to increase revenues the same intersections change the yellow light to a 2 second yellow from a normal 3 second yellow. So while at a regular intersection you would have time to clear at the 2 second yellow you don't. The people in the area who know about the yellow and the camera slam on the brakes to avoid the ticket, while the people behind them are driving normal and run into the rear of their vehicle.
The other problem is that red light cameras draw your attention up into the air and away from more important things like the car in front of you.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
The other problem is that red light cameras draw your attention up into the air and away from more important things like the car in front of you.
That's interesting. What does a red light camera do to draw your attention?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:37 PM
I guess the flash (to illuminate the car for the camera).

I would be skeptical that they'd shorten the yellow light when placing a red light camera- that's just asking for a lawsuit in the event of an accident.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne

I would be skeptical that they'd shorten the yellow light when placing a red light camera- that's just asking for a lawsuit in the event of an accident.
I thought he meant it distracts you from seeing the traffic light turn red. I guess it he means it distract you after you run the red light and then the camera goes off.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:43 PM
That's interesting. What does a red light camera do to draw your attention?
If I know there is a redlight camera, I'm going to watch the light more than I'll watch the cars around me. Or it will occupy a greater percentage of my attention. The stoplights are typically placed high and towards the center of the road. Thus, I'll be less likely to see cars or pedestrians doing things at the intersection.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:04 PM
If I know there is a redlight camera, I'm going to watch the light more than I'll watch the cars around me. Or it will occupy a greater percentage of my attention. The stoplights are typically placed high and towards the center of the road. Thus, I'll be less likely to see cars or pedestrians doing things at the intersection.
I don't buy it. Look at what you're saying. You're saying you're more likely to run a red light if there's not a camera there because you can now pay more attention to cars around you and pedestrians? If you forget about red light cameras, simply don't speed and pay attention to your driving you will never run a red light (camera or not).

Old 06-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't buy it. Look at what you're saying. You're saying you're more likely to run a red light if there's not a camera there because you can now pay more attention to cars around you and pedestrians? If you forget about red light cameras, simply don't speed and pay attention to your driving you will never run a red light (camera or not).
Attention on the road is a limited resource. American traffic lights (and american traffic intersections in general) are really poorly designed to manage that limited resource. Adding a traffic camera says that what we need to watch most of all is people running the red at the end of the cycle. But clearly that's one of the less dangerous traffic infractions. Speed, talking on a cell phone, or drinking are all much worse. I'd much more greatly favor speed cameras everywhere watching speed.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
I know where a number of traffic cameras are... but my driving doesn't change just because I'm near one or not.

If I have enough time to brake without "slamming" my brakes and risking an impact from behind, I'll stop. If not, I just keep going. But, then again, I usually drive with the intention of keeping other drivers "far" from me (usually by speeding away).

I drive with the intention of giving myself a buffer from other cars and red lights. Doing pretty good, since I haven't had a traffic light related ticket (although my dad blames me for him getting one..hehe).

Old 06-10-2011, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne

There have been incidents of cities getting caught shortening their yellow lights.

6 Cities That Were Caught Shortening Yellow Light Times For Profit

I can't say if they're the exception, or just the ones who've gotten caught so far, but the rumors about the red-light cameras certainly have latched onto that little factoid and spun it much larger in response.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:07 AM
I agree. Why distract the driver even more? Aren't there enough distractions?

Old 06-10-2011, 03:54 PM
It's not really difficult to come to a complete stop, no more than 5 seconds.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
Attention on the road is a limited resource. American traffic lights (and american traffic intersections in general) are really poorly designed to manage that limited resource. Adding a traffic camera says that what we need to watch most of all is people running the red at the end of the cycle. But clearly that's one of the less dangerous traffic infractions. Speed, talking on a cell phone, or drinking are all much worse. I'd much more greatly favor speed cameras everywhere watching speed.
Sure you are right at a technical level. But then what's your take on Billboards and road advertisements, the most modern being moving video display billboards?
These are magnitudes larger of a distraction, with no purpose other than to explicitly distract and get the attention of the driver (whereas the cameras do have alternate purpose to enforce the law).
So I think it's a fallacious argument that traffic cameras are bad because they might "distract" the driver.

It is like worrying if your poison is going to be served in a BPA-free container..

This claim seems to be along the lines of the old argument that wiper blades should be banned as they can distract drivers and or cause them to crash. The amount of distraction pales in comparison to other distractions, and a licensed drivers should be able to handle this level of distraction without a problem. If they cannot handle the distraction of a camera, I would say they should have their license revoked rather than forcing a distraction-less sheltered private road.

An analogy is that someone only feels comfortable driving with no other traffic. Tough luck. You have to have the skill to be able to share the road with other cars or get tickets for your panicked actions

A direct analogy is like any professional sports athlete not being able to perform in a game. If they choke in a game because they're distracted by cameras or for whatever reason; they're not going to make the cut no matter how good they are in distraction free practice.

Last edited by raytseng; 06-10-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
and a licensed drivers should be able to handle this level of distraction without a problem.
I doth concur.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by raytseng
Sure you are right at a technical level. But then what's your take on Billboards and road advertisements, the most modern being moving video display billboards?
These are magnitudes larger of a distraction, with no purpose other than to explicitly distract and get the attention of the driver (whereas the cameras do have alternate purpose to enforce the law).
So I think it's a fallacious argument that traffic cameras are bad because they might "distract" the driver.
Oh, I despise those video billboards. Nor do I think red light cameras are the worst possible thing out there. Cell phone use while driving would be my number one currently, followed by horrid land use laws and regulations that tend to force americans to do more and more driving.

A direct analogy is like any professional sports athlete not being able to perform in a game. If they choke in a game because they're distracted by cameras or for whatever reason; they're not going to make the cut no matter how good they are in distraction free practice.
That's not a good analogy to everyday driving. Because sports is a relative environment, whereas driving from point a to b is more of "good enough" sort of thing.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, I despise those video billboards. Nor do I think red light cameras are the worst possible thing out there. Cell phone use while driving would be my number one currently, followed by horrid land use laws and regulations that tend to force americans to do more and more driving.

That's not a good analogy to everyday driving. Because sports is a relative environment, whereas driving from point a to b is more of "good enough" sort of thing.
I agree with Ray on this.

Everyone seems to be making excuses as to why they are bad and not putting the blame where it belongs. with the driver. Personal Responsibility is key here. Unfortunately, the majority of people here in the US blame others for their own failures and what's even worse... they think it's ok. (not aiming at anyone in particular, just generalizing)

Thank god Billboards are illegal in VT. They are dangerous and a serious eyesore and I am reminded how much I hate them every time I leave VT.

~SB

Quick Reply: Making a right turn on red without coming to a complete stop. 2x. Am i fucked?