2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting the Replacement Keyless Key Cut Cheap

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Getting the Replacement Keyless Key Cut Cheap

Is there some place that's willing to cut an 09 Keyless entry key cheaply? It's my girlfriend's car and I bought her the keyless key for her Fit for Christmas and it's working great. Plus I have one of the spare keys for me. Is it possible to cut the key from my key and will any dealer be able/willing to do it from my key or do they need the car itself?

I will turn it into a fob-only if needed but heck, if I can get it cut that'll get her another key and that's always good.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
You'll need the key programmed and cut at a dealership. It'll probably be around $50 for the cut and $50 for the program. You can call around and see about getting price's but generally thats what prices I've heard.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
perhaps a bit less, but it's not cheap. Here's the best quote I got a year ago.

To:
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:34:51 -0500
Subject: RE: Help! (sad key story on 09 Fit)

We can cut your key and the charge is only $ 8.00 we will still need the car to add to the set up or program it to the other keys that you have. If you do not program it ,it will not start the car it will open the doors but won’t start. The program charge is 52.50 plus the 8.00 total would be 60.50.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Check out ACE Hardware. They can cut transponder keys for Honda cars, not sure of the cost.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:51 PM
anyone can cut they key that has a key cutter, BUT you will have to take it to a dealer or someone who has the machine to program it to your car.
They need your car and the key, that where the cost is.

just shop around.
probably be around $40-50

Old 12-10-2011, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
So the act of programming the keyless portion of the key is distinct from the transponder portion? I was hoping that since the key is now working the locks that it would now also just need to be cut.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Agrajag
So the act of programming the keyless portion of the key is distinct from the transponder portion? I was hoping that since the key is now working the locks that it would now also just need to be cut.
Correct. Honda's setup software may complete the security process as part of the same remote entry setup. Without this, the remote entry can be "programmed" with a series of key actions, but the key will still be useless in the ignition until updated via Honda's software. I'm not aware of any 3rd party having the software (which is probably a good thing).

A popular course of action is getting the remote entry working and just using it as a "fob" for an existing, non-remote entry key. I think the remote entry module is available separately if you provide your own case, or get the key and cut off the metal.

edit: here's a vid by college hills honda for getting the remote entry to work without external software setup. But they don't offer any solution outside of visiting the dealer for getting the key to work the ignition. Here's a link to their website.

youtube

CFL Honda (another dealer) was offering free shipping a while back on the honda keys. Here's a link to their website (their server seems to be down at the time of this post).

Last edited by Steve244; 12-10-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks. I'm already at that point. The key is here and programmed to work the locks. That's working great.

I was planning on just cutting off the metal but then thought--maybe, just maybe there's another option. I might leave it on just in case later she wants to pay for the programming.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
I just cut the key blank off of mine. It looks a little ghetto if you look close but it works so that's all that matters. I need a spare key anyways so I'll probably just get a TSX flip key instead of a normal fit key since it works and I like the style better. Probably put a JDM type R "H" on the key instead of the Acura "A". Unless I could find Acura badges that would fit on mine instead of the Honda badges? (0.o) that would confuse some people

Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Post CHEAP place to buy the Original Keys

Hey Guys,

After a couple of days searching, I found a good website, and a way to get my replacement keys for cheap.

The website to buy the Key is All Honda Keys.
I bought the key there, and when it arrived, I took my car to a honda dealer close to my house. I paid around U$120.00 to have the key cut and programmed on the dealer, + the Key cost was U$43.00. The original cost quote was U$350.00.

Hope it helps...

Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, that's expensive (what you paid) but glad you're happy. I paid about $40 for the key and then our dealer was kind enough to cut two of them for free. We'd already programmed them.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed the local walmart had a sign outside their auto center advertising cutting and programming of electronic keys for all makes. While I hate walmart if I needed a key cut and programmed I'd check it out.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
My advice: go through your yellowpages and call up LOCKSMITHS to get quotes.

I'd guess maybe half of a modern locksmith's work is automotive related, so they are very capable to perform this type of work.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
My wife bought her base fit in 2009. Soon after I bought the uncut key fob from college hills and programmed it myself. I hooked it on her keychain and she used it as just the wireless fob for over 6 months. Eventually it looked just as worn as the regular key. One time in 2010 we brought the car in for service and when the service manager asked if we needed anything else I said "oh, yeah...ya know, I don't know why but this key isn't cut." The service manager said "That's strange" and asked "It's been like that?". So I simply said "It's been like that as long as it was on the key ring".

Needless to say, they cut it for free :-)

Edit: It was the same dealership she bought the car from.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lap49
My wife bought her base fit in 2009. Soon after I bought the uncut key fob from college hills and programmed it myself. I hooked it on her keychain and she used it as just the wireless fob for over 6 months. Eventually it looked just as worn as the regular key. One time in 2010 we brought the car in for service and when the service manager asked if we needed anything else I said "oh, yeah...ya know, I don't know why but this key isn't cut." The service manager said "That's strange" and asked "It's been like that?". So I simply said "It's been like that as long as it was on the key ring".

Needless to say, they cut it for free :-)

Edit: It was the same dealership she bought the car from.
Not sure what the point of your story was, other then to advertise minor fraud.
I think you need to rethink your path in life if you're a married grown adult, and you feel you need to not only lie in order to try to save a few bucks, but then also brag about it on the internet.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
Not sure what the point of your story was, other then to advertise minor fraud.
I think you need to rethink your path in life if you're a married grown adult, and you feel you need to not only lie in order to try to save a few bucks, but then also brag about it on the internet.
The point of the story is to go to the dealer you bought the car from and see if they'll offer to cut it, just like what happened to me. It isn't fraud when they offered to do the job for free.

Obviously, you just like to bash people on the internet. Do you feel better about that? Good, I'm glad.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lap49
The point of the story is to go to the dealer you bought the car from and see if they'll offer to cut it, just like what happened to me. It isn't fraud when they offered to do the job for free.

Obviously, you just like to bash people on the internet. Do you feel better about that? Good, I'm glad.
I wouldn't say he bashed you , per say. You did just publicly say you lied to save a buck. Theft is illegal and please do not brag about it here.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
There basically was no need for the subterfuge to age your key on the chain, or make up a story of how the key came to you. The "bashing" was more for why you felt you needed to do that.

I do like what you are saying in your subsequent post, but you would've gotten the same result without the false information. Especially since they were already getting your business for other service

Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
The Japanese Fit is different from made-in-USA more common Honda models. ACE, and other hardware stores couldnt program it. Even the locksmith that I go to for just about everything didnt have the correct machine. Ended up at the dealer, $107 for the remote entry fob key blank, cutting and programming, including tax.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gimme
I wouldn't say he bashed you , per say. You did just publicly say you lied to save a buck. Theft is illegal and please do not brag about it here.
Explain to me how I lied. I simply answered the service managers questions.

Quick Reply: Getting the Replacement Keyless Key Cut Cheap