2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Check Your Spark Plugs!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:13 AM
Check Your Spark Plugs!!

well after 70k miles on my fit i blew a spark plug out of my engine head and destroyed a coil pack (and theyre not cheap) plug came out clean with the threads intact bought a new coil put a new plug in, and eveything was fine.... until tonight samething happened but coil was fine limped home on 3 cylinders to find out that the coil pack is melted and most likely the threads in cylinder head are gone. has anybody else had an issue like this?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
I don't even understand what happened. Are you saying the bottom of the plug with the threads was intact and undamaged, but the top part exploded into the coil pack?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
In the threads I've read about people who replace their plugs prematurely with something like the IK22, they are not too happy at how the stockers appear to be holding up. Sorry to hear.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
In the threads I've read about people who replace their plugs prematurely with something like the IK22, they are not too happy at how the stockers appear to be holding up. Sorry to hear.
Yeah, but that doesn't explain how they would explode. I've never heard of such a thing.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Sorry, when I wrote this thread I was exhausted. Both times, the spark plug was completely intact, but the first time this happened my guess is that the compression pushed the sparkplug out with such force that it ripped the coil pack off the bracket and destroyed the boot that sits on the spark plug

Old 12-12-2011, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds more like a head problem to me. The spark plug hole wasn't drilled properly or the hole expanded over time. I would take it to Honda and see if they can help even if it's not in warranty because this was a machining problem.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Blowing the same plug twice is most likely going to cost you a new head, sorry to say.
First time an insert might do the trick, but twice and there's nothing left to thread into.

Also, by driving it, that cylinder has taken a bath in raw fuel, not good for cylinder walls/rings.
A compression test will be needed to determine any damage.

Never heard of a Fit blowing plugs before.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden

the stock spark plugs or the ik22's?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Stock ones I'm hoping I can just drill and re- insert a new set of threads

Old 12-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Keep us posted!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
That's really amazing... I've never heard of something like this on an engine of this size. The only way I can see this happening is if the plug was cross-threaded several times into the head and inserted anyway. The threads would have had to been demolished beyond recognition because even several thread will hold a plug in where compression won't blow it out. Good luck on the repair. I've installed inserts into other engines of higher compression and they've always held okay.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Yikes! I ruined my Subaru's engine because I didn't properly tighten a spark plug and it blew out of the head at an intersection. Once that happens, the threads are ruined and the spark plug will keep popping out until there are no threads left.

I had a mechanic heli-coil new threads. Then I made the mistake of changing the plug out later, loosened the heli-coil threads and really ruined it. The whole head was unusable. I ended up throwing in a used Japanese motor, instead.

I'm sorry to hear that man. I'd say have Honda heli-coil it. And if that doesn't work, plan to replace the head.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:20 PM
I've never touched the plugs but my father said that they have to insert compressed air into the cylinder via the sparkplug hole? If this is true then honda north of danvers ma ruined the threads for the sparkplug I'm going to helicoil it on saturday probably pull the whole engine out to do it because access to the plugs is quite limited and since it is cylinder #4 it would be beneficial to do it that way ill keep you guys posted but can someone confirm that they do have to insert compressed air into the cylinder for the LMS Recall? Thank you

Old 12-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Blowing air into the cylinder is an attempt to blow out and metal shavings resulting from the thread coil install - nothing related the the LSM recall. Some claim there's no need to do that, but it all depends on how much drilling and tapping you end up doing.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Old 12-12-2011, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Good find and you do need to take the head off for a clean job that wont put metal in the engine. I seen this done on a show on TV and they used grease but there has to be metal that falls and would ruin the piston.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Oh engine is coming out friday night not screwing around with this...... But with the motion spring recall they don't have to pressureise the cylinder to hold the valves up while the do the springs? Because if they do, do that then I have a reason as to why my spark plug came out

Old 12-12-2011, 10:24 PM
How do you figure?

100psi in the chamber to keep the valves seated while they pop out the keepers and springs are not going to cause damage or strain the spark plug and threads, considering the compression of the piston alone without combustion will do twice that.

Or are you intimating the tech may have cross threaded the plug hole when he put the compressor fitting in? Cuz they are going to fight you tooth and nail on that one.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Yea, since the plugs were never touched by me so since the only person to touch the spark plugs is the honda tech that did my recall I would believe that he cross threaded the plug threads its going to be a hard thing to prove so I just wanted some closure to this and would rather human error than a freak occurence

Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
I'm close to 80K miles. I probably should install my IK22s soon.

Quick Reply: Check Your Spark Plugs!!