2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

HELPS! Clunking noise coming from right-rear corner.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Arrow HELPS! Clunking noise coming from right-rear corner.

Noise has been happening for a month or so now. Everytime I hit a bump, or the road is uneven, mostly at speed (15mph+), there is a clunking noise coming from the right-rear corner of my car. Sounds like the clunk happens about the same time the shock is rebounding. So far...

Its not my exhaust knocking around.
Its not a loose item in my hatch.
Its not the spare tire or the scissor-jack.
Its not the rear seat reclining-lock rattling.
Its not the spring un-seated or jiggling.
Its not the stop of the strut. Its tightly bolted in.

I have apex-n1 coilovers. Doesnt matter what setting I have my shocks, hard or soft, clunks either way.

I say "clunk" because it is a deeper bonk sound. Not a rattle. Not a scrape. My wheel has been on/off like 10 times. Its on alright.

Also, I cant reproduce the sound when the car is parked, ebrake on/off. I literally got in my hatch and jumped up and down, compressing the spring/shock more than it ever does in normal-driving conditions. Im running out of ideas of what else it could possibly be.

Everything is structuarlly fine. Ive taken some pretty hard corners. Car handles fine. You cant actually feel anything. No extra noises or vibrations.....just a loud clunking.

For those of you that have stuck with me through this... if you have any ideas or suggestions please.. help a brotha out

Old 12-25-2011, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
I just started hearing the same thing, I am stock except for Mugen exhaust.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:42 PM
I have seen a few bulletins come out for the 8th gen civics for clunking in the rear (similar style rear shock to our fits) and it was a result of either A) The bushing at the top of the rear shock not fully seated into its cup (You could usually see it kind of pinched in the cup) their solution: uninstall and re-install the shock with the bushing properly seated. or B) the bump stop clunking around on the shock. Their solution: glue the top of the bump stop to the washer found on the shock plunger shaft.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I remember seeing a bulletin released for the GE8 that addressed these issues. I'll check our E-biz when I get back to work on tuesday.

Hope this helped,
Merry xmas.
Scott.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:04 PM
thanks AA. I have tomorrow off work so Ill try re-installing the shock. If that doesnt work, I might just cut the bump stops or glue them like you mentioned. We'll see anyone else with input, more than welcomed.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
It might be a flat spot on the tire too. I had a problem with the right front wheel and they never figured it out but re-aligned the front end. Tires had a flat spots too after causing similar problems.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:40 PM
SSM; If the bump stops are in fact the issue, cutting them won't solve it. The bump stop is sliding up the shock plunger on compression, and then "sticking" in position on the plunger as the shock extends again. Then, along comes a small bump and the bump stop falls down the plunger and makes a little "clunk" or what I've heard described as a "popping" sound. Normally, the bump stop should just stay at the top. I'm not familiar with your brand of coilover, but I would say you could either remove the bumpstop entirely if you feel comfortable with that, or just glue it like I mentioned earlier.

On my own setup I actually added an additional second bump stop to each rear shock, as I needed to limit the amount of travel in the rear heh.

As an additional note, when re-installing the shock, I prefer to lube up the bushing with white lithium grease, this helps ensure the bushing won't get cockeyed on the installation.

I noticed you listed a few things you had ruled out, one of which being that the top nut on the shock is tight. Have you checked the 14mm bolt at the bottom of the shock? I have seen these loosen off before.

Take a few pics as you go, I'm fairly interested in this

Old 12-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Yup, checked the bottom 14 nut. I actually didnt get a chance to check like i said i would today, raining bleh. BUT, it does seem to have gotten slightly worse. And it happens more when there is any kind of lateral movement. ie, its loud when driving straight and hitting a bump, MOAR loud when taking a turn and hitting a bump.

I honestly think its the bushing, or at least something is loose. I managed to replicate it my standing in the rear right passenger door and jumping up and down lol. Definitely coming from the top of the shock. Something is loose or not sitting right.

Oh and one thing I thought about the other day. This really first started happening when I turned my shocks to full hard (like 4 clicks below). I got the noise SUPER bad, figured something in my hatch was rattling, turned the shocks back down to pretty soft and the noise went away....mostly. Been getting louder ever since.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Hmm it is possible that its the top bushing then (the one inside the wheel well). Especially if it got louder when you cranked the stiffness up. Makes sense that it would be louder on lateral movement too. Double check the metal sleeve that fits into the center of the two top bushings too, make sure its going through both of them. How many miles you got? When you've got it in the air give your wheel bearing a shake too lol.

Let us know what you find!

Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Any update on this issue?

I've noticed my right rear making a clunk sound, though it only seems to happen over an extremely uneven road surface. There's a couple intersections in my parents' neighborhood where the road I'm turning onto is inclined from the road I'm on. I'm on Eibachs, and not a fan of racing through neighborhoods, so I always take these turns slow (~5mph). However, every time I take these turns the right rear makes a single, noticeable "clunk." I've never noticed the sound other than when the car's in that type of situation. Haven't ever had the issue in any of my other cars, but this is the first with this type of rear suspension. Hoping it's a simple adjustment and not a necessary replacement.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:24 PM
No, I just havent had the time to pull it all apart and try re-installing. Good news is that its not affecting drivability and isnt getting any worse lol. Im pretty much 99% positive its the top of the shock loose and jiggling around. I realllly need to do it this weekend.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Wow so guess what i just got rid of my 2010 honda civic sedan becusae of that poping issue they change my springs all around 2 times the shocks 3 times the trailing arms in the rear 1 time so i got ride of it 3 weeks and now drive a honda fit sport iwth nav and i love it its a fun car but fawk i miss my ride so much

Old 02-13-2012, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
and my civic only had 30k on it before i gave it bak and i bough it brand new with 3 miles on it

LUv IT

2012 HonDa FiT SpORt NAv
RIP FA1 17x9 +10 allaround

Last edited by Wafulz; 02-13-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
This happened to me too. Like you, I'm also on Apexi Coilovers. To solve this clunking noise, I just took the coilovers off and then put them back on, tightly. Clunking was gone for a good two months but it came back again. This time when I take it off, I'm going to locate the source of the clunk

Let us know what you find so I won't have to troubleshoot when I remove mine!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
have you checked the rear seatbelt? Mine clanks around sometimes making a plasticy thud when it's disconnected.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
It's funny cuz when everything was change on my civic it went away2 months came bak then they change top hats went away for..2months again then I return car now I drive the fit I never figured it out and I. U se to be there looking at my civic figureing what I can change I changed every thing I though it was the sub frame but ill never knw but ill tell u my back right was crinkle the next to the door like a flex

Old 04-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I've noticed the same clunking sound in my gd3 in the same location. I'm thinking it could be the cold weather (??) effecting the shocks.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Problem diagnosed.

For anyone that is interested.... I found the problem while taking off my coil overs (which are now for sale).

Upside down rubber bushing.... awesome.

This is how it should be...

This is how it was... oops.

So the clunking, was the metal sleeve that was now exposed in the bushing on the right. No damage was done, just to my pride...

Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
^ Thanks for following through and sharing your solution.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Haha that sucks but glad you found the solution!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Dem sum dirty hands...

Quick Reply: HELPS! Clunking noise coming from right-rear corner.