2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 Fit Base AT Error Message of "Check Fuel Cap"

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:21 PM
09 Fit Base AT Error Message of "Check Fuel Cap"

Just wonder if anyone has seen this message of "Check Fuel Cap" even though the cap is perfectly ok, including its good condition and closed tightly on the gas tank neck. Would this be a "flu" of the ECU and could it be flushed via rebooting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes? By the way, it seems to come in when the weather is cold and after driving a while after a refuel (not immediately after refuel).

Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
It means that the computer thinks something isn't right with the evap system. The most likely culprit is the gas cap, but it could also be a problem with evap canister. Do you overfill the gas tank, i.e. add gas after the first click off of the nozzle?

It is also possible for the gas cap to be faulty.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
I have seen this message after I hit a big bump on the road at low speed. I'm guessing that the gasoline was sloshing in the tank and it somehow triggered the light. The tank was about 3/4 full. 5 or 6 starts later, the light was gone.
A friend of mine has a GD Fit and he has seen it a few times also. He gets a warning usually when the outside temps are either very cold or very hot.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
from the manual (page 70)

Check Fuel Cap Indicator
If the fuel fill cap is loose or missing,
a ‘‘ CHECK FUEL CAP ’’ message
appears on the information display
after you start the engine. The
message changes from CHECK, to
FUEL, to CAP repeatedly.
Turn the engine off and confirm the
fuel fill cap is installed. If it is, loosen
the cap, then retighten it until it
clicks at least once. You can cycle the
message off of the display by
pressing the select/reset knob
repeatedly, but this message will be
displayed each time the engine is
started. It will take several days of
normal driving for the vehicle to turn
the warning off.

If the system still detects a loose or
missing fuel fill cap
, the malfunction
indicator lamp (MIL) comes on. Turn
the engine off, and check or
retighten the fuel fill cap until it
clicks at least once. The MIL goes
out after several days of normal
driving once the cap is tightened or
replaced. If it does not go out, have
your dealer inspect the vehicle. For
more information, see page 304.
shrug. I'd check the fuel cap and then ignore it. If it doesn't stop appearing in a few days see the dealer. The fact that the MIL doesn't come on means it's pretty minor.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:09 PM
I had it come on for me once, didn't think anything of it, got out, removed it, put it back on, restarted the engine, code was gone. I think it's just an overly sensitive sensor

Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Yes, I also think that it is too sensitive since I only have 45k on my Fit and the cap is really in good condition. And most the time I stop filling it at the first click off the gas pump. Anyway, this message came in a couple of time in cold days and went off after ten miles on the road.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:17 AM
My wife keeps getting this same error in her accord. It turns the cel on every time. I will be taking it back to the dealer to have them turn it off I know she is screwing the cap on because I have checked it too. I'm actually leaning towards the place she got gas at. Seems like the last time she got it there she had the same problem. I'm wondering if that can cause an issue. Her problem is that she has a short drive to work, around 2 miles, so it never cuts itself off the way the manual says it should.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Interesting thought, the grade of the gas. Not sure it should trigger the gas evaperation sensor though. Still think the system is too sensitive.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Had this for the first time last week while going to work. Cap was fine. Wasn't overfilled previously, but there was a large temperature and humidity swing while the car was in the garage overnight. Might have something to do with it. Error code went away eventually.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:59 AM
It really sounds like a defect of the ECU since it is consistent for many of our situations that do not pertain to a problem state. A Honda recall item?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
It sounds to me like the pressure sensor is extra sensitive and variances due to temperature are being flagged as loose gas caps. On another car the MIL (check engine light) would be coming on and people would go for warranty service or maybe pay someone to pull the code. Honda at least gave us a soft warning in the maintenance minder to "check gas cap." If the problem persists it throws a code.

Recall items are for failures that result in safety issues. People die.

TSBs are issued for corrective action (like the inaccurate MPG calculation on 09s) for warranty service or good will fixes after warranty.

This doesn't seem like any of the above. I'd say it's working as designed. If you feel strongly about it I'd mention it to your service adviser and find out if they have a TSB out on it.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
If you haven't yet, when fueling make a habit of turning off the car during the fill. I never did that with my older car, but newer cars with all these sensors- it can matter. Not to mention, you're supposed to anyway. If that's not it, I'm outa bullets. Good luck.

Dan

Old 02-11-2012, 01:26 PM
I believe that all of us turn off the engine before filling the gas tank. This is definitely a defect of the system. It does not affect our driving, but missleading.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
I took it to the dealer. They cleared the code and said if it comes back on they will have to replace some of the valves in the fuel system. (Sounds like a TSB problem that they already know about)

Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Has to do with the EVAP canister. There's a purge valve controlled by engine vacuum.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Does anybody know if these an actual TSB issued by Honda?

Old 02-11-2012, 09:40 PM
You can go here and check without needing to log in: https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?logout=1

K_C_

Old 04-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Check fuel cap resolution. Simple and easy

Check Fuel Cap resolution without going to dealer! If you look at the lip of the filler neck after you take has cap off you will notice a bit of gunk on it. The gunk keeps the cap from sealing like it should. I discovered this in a 3300 mile journey. I had a quart of oil in the trunk. I dabbed oil on a paper towel, and cleaned the gunk off the filler neck lip. I then got a qtip, dipped it in oil and cleaned the rubber gasket on the fuel cap. I then put a very thin film of oil around the filler neck lip. Presto! Cap sealed like a champ. I could tell the moment I tightened it down. Also I was a bit surprised that the filler neck had gunky buildup on it. So, give this a try. It took less than 10 minutes to do. Message went away immediately. NO PROBLEMS SINCE. I continued my vacation no problems. 2008 Honda Accord 2.4