2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Question about cold air intakes

Okay so I really new at working on my Fit. I have only had it a couple of weeks. But I am looking to put in a cold air intake. My question though maybe silly is will installing the new intake cause any faults or errors to come up on my ECM or anything else that I should be looking at prior to doing this? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by archangel1177
Okay so I really new at working on my Fit. I have only had it a couple of weeks. But I am looking to put in a cold air intake. My question though maybe silly is will installing the new intake cause any faults or errors to come up on my ECM or anything else that I should be looking at prior to doing this? Thanks in advance.
If installed correctly, and the intake is made properly, there should be no CEL.

Be very careful with the MAF sensor when your removing, or installing.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
What intakes are you looking at?

Is your car a manual or automatic transmission?

We can probably point you in the right direction.

A tip tho, aside from being very careful with the sensor as Schoat said, I would also unhook your battery while doing the install. Make sure you have your radio code handy.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
What intakes are you looking at?

Is your car a manual or automatic transmission?

We can probably point you in the right direction.

A tip tho, aside from being very careful with the sensor as Schoat said, I would also unhook your battery while doing the install. Make sure you have your radio code handy.
Not sure which ones just yet. I am not looking to spend big bucks on it really though, (yes I am a cheapa$$) But I do want a quality product and that will make it worth while. Mine has an automatic transmission. Thanks for the answers

Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Schoat333
If installed correctly, and the intake is made properly, there should be no CEL.

Be very careful with the MAF sensor when your removing, or installing.
Good to know..... Had not even thought about that yet. Good thing I asked before I got into it!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Next thing you should ask is what is the qualifying word "properly" to imply. MAFs and airflow can be a harsh mistress when you are making your own system flying blind.

Search feature will be your friend.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Next thing you should ask is what is the qualifying word "properly" to imply. MAFs and airflow can be a harsh mistress when you are making your own system flying blind.

Search feature will be your friend.
My intention is not to make my own system by any means. I intend to purchase one made for my fit. I guess that leaves me with yet another question, are they not a true bolt on item? Or will I have to make modifications to it so that it will work properly?

Old 03-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Unfortunately none of them are going to be 100% guaranteed to not through a dummy light. There are flaws in anything mass produced, then there is potential handling and install. You may have to play with it a bit even when it is purported to be "bolt-on" don't get frustrated or panic.

No matter how you look at it you are modifying something that is often underratedly crucial to proper engine operation.

The MAF is the device that tells the engine how much oxygen is coming in and has to compare it to the oxygen coming out to meter fuel and timing properly.

Odds are good any situation can be remedied with little effort, provided nothing is broken, fouled or permanently altered. Just observe make mental notes and take pictures if you are worried.

But again MAF systems are sensitive to changes in flow vs. what they are calibrated to see.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Unfortunately none of them are going to be 100% guaranteed to not through a dummy light. There are flaws in anything mass produced, then there is potential handling and install. You may have to play with it a bit even when it is purported to be "bolt-on" don't get frustrated or panic.

No matter how you look at it you are modifying something that is often underratedly crucial to proper engine operation.

The MAF is the device that tells the engine how much oxygen is coming in and has to compare it to the oxygen coming out to meter fuel and timing properly.

Odds are good any situation can be remedied with little effort, provided nothing is broken, fouled or permanently altered. Just observe make mental notes and take pictures if you are worried.

But again MAF systems are sensitive to changes in flow vs. what they are calibrated to see.
Yeah I knew that about the MAF from my mustang, I guess I will just have to be diligent about what I do when I do finally do this. Thank for all the info. So now which brand do you recommend? Is the longer version better than the short ran air type?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
[3/16/2012 9:26:10 AM] Adrian Corrales: Name:  IMAG0406.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  120.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0407.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  135.0 KB this is mine on my auto banger lol the maf sits flush no prolems yet dirty filter i replace it today with a aem and that dust cover lol mines a 2012 cvt/sport with 3,600 so far runs liek a champ i also added greddy se axel back sounds good with both

Old 03-23-2012, 02:32 PM
I dont have any brands to recommend, I personally consider them a waste of money and would put that cash towards a nice set of lightweight stock size wheels and some quality tires.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
I dont have any brands to recommend, I personally consider them a waste of money and would put that cash towards a nice set of lightweight stock size wheels and some quality tires.
i second that too mine from sum white guy that sold me the maf part for 20 bucks lol i got my own gay filter for 10 bucks but now i got a nice filter aem : / lol and the dust cover

Old 03-23-2012, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't, you could end up like this guy. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...light-cel.html

Old 03-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by matt1357
I wouldn't, you could end up like this guy. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...light-cel.html
Good to know. I am pretty meticulous about when I perform work on anything. I work on multi million dollar machinery and have built several cars. But either way I was just tossing around the idea and wondering if there is a benefit of the cold air intake over the stock intake tube.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by archangel1177
I work on multi million dollar machinery and have built several cars. But either way I was just tossing around the idea and wondering if there is a benefit of the cold air intake over the stock intake tube.
I'm surprised, how can you build several cars and not already have basic knowledge about air intakes and sensors?

It's very odd, I would've guessed this thread was started by someone completely new to all of this.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt1357

omg yeah i seen that too i was liek shit but anyways its probly cuz he used that cheap filter got all that dust in the MAF and it failed i just switched it to the aem with the dumb dust cover thingy it will help and maybe he never chaneg the filter at all so it clog up the maf and it failed

Last edited by Wafulz; 03-23-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
I'm surprised, how can you build several cars and not already have basic knowledge about air intakes and sensors?

It's very odd, I would've guessed this thread was started by someone completely new to all of this.
Understand all the cars I have built have been the vintage VW type that have nothing like MAS to worry about. In fact I am at this point redoing a 1974 Karmann Ghia coupe. I have done two bugs a squareback and now this Ghia. Since all are carbed and all very different from this, yes I am new to this.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom

I have never worked on any of the new cars like this with the exception of doing basic maintenance and minor repairs like alternators, brakes, and other maintenance items of the like.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Step 1.) Master Carb and EFI
Step 2.) ???
Step 3.) Proft

Old 03-23-2012, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Let me just throw this out there. I love my PRM Intake.

Quick Reply: Question about cold air intakes