2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Spark Plug Blown on Low Mileage Fit (HONDA DENIES WARRANTY)

Old 04-14-2012, 02:44 PM
I got back the car today. The dealership could not do anything more for me. I followed the warranty booklet, but I will have to push further. The plugs in the car, were the originals from the assembly of engine and have never been changed since I bought the car. I'm trying to upload some pics.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Your cylinder head is covered by the powertrain warranty. Lawyer time.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 AM
how can they prove you tampered with it? if your vehicle 100% stock?
or was it modded at one time? Spark plugs do not become loose, I have never heard of that before.
Did you have the LMS recall done?
I would call a lawyer if the dealer refuses, I would also call Honda USA in Torrence California.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by canuck901
how can they prove you tampered with it? if your vehicle 100% stock?
or was it modded at one time? Spark plugs do not become loose, I have never heard of that before.
Did you have the LMS recall done?
I would call a lawyer if the dealer refuses, I would also call Honda USA in Torrence California.

I don't know how they can prove it, but I bought the car for reliability! The car is 99% stock, except for my shifter knob that peeled apart. The car has never been modded b/c I need a reliable car for work. Yes I did the LMS recall at 48,000km. It's the only time the rocker panels came off the car.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
You don't need a lawyer, that is just going to cost money then you won't get much financial restitution except a moral victory.

Google search the small claims system and maybe follow in the footsteps of the lady that won the honda hybrid case. I recall one interview where she was saying all the steps are posted on the internet, just follow them step-by-step, and win.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 AM
AH-HA!!!!

The dealer who did the LMS repair is the one who didn't tighten down the sparkplugs properly. There is the smoke and mirrors.

To do the LMS repair the cam cover, coils, and plugs have to be removed.

You should get a new cylinder head from them out of this.

The Helicoil repair is an externally and internally threaded sleeve (unlike standard Helicoils). The sparkplug hole is drilled and tapped to a larger size and the insert sleeve is threaded in with Loctite. Should only be a $150 repair plus parts.

Also, are they sure the sparkplug threads in the head were damaged? A blown plug *may* only damage the top couple threads. Careful usage of a 'plug chaser' or tap may clean up the damage.

John

Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Racebrewer
AH-HA!!!!

The dealer who did the LMS repair is the one who didn't tighten down the sparkplugs properly.
We have a winner. Is the dealer who did the LMS recall the same one that is refusing a repair now? The "tamperer" should take responsibility for their damage. Idiot dealer "mechanic". Let us know what happens!

Last edited by spreadhead; 04-17-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
This is really unconscionable behavior by the Honda dealer. They can easily determine if you've had the LMS recall done by looking in their computer or looking for the dot over your VIN. The dot is supposed to be added when the LMS recall is done. It is truly incredible that they would accuse you of tampering with the vehicle after a dealer has taken apart your engine to do this recall.

I recommend you get everything, including their denial, documented in writing and either file a case in small claims court or contact a consumer protection attorney. Honda just got spanked in small claims court in another case:

Honda loses Small Claims Court suit over Civic hybrid fuel economy - Los Angeles Times

It really looks like their business practices and product quality have taken a nosedive lately.

If it matters, you are certainly not the first person to have problems after the LMS recall:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ng-recall.html

Old 04-18-2012, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lowkeymods
Here's my experience w/ the Honda warranty: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...y-issue-6.html

Long story short: Look in your manual and follow the steps they suggest to dispute a denial on their part. Honda magically changed their mind by time I got the BBB involved.

Edit: A few extra things to note...

1) Emphasize to Honda Corporate that it is the lack of explanation/evidence that troubles you more than the repair...I had a douche of a service manager who didn't explain anything to me or explain his conclusion and the first rep I spoke w/ and Honda Corporate told me it was the dealerships call and they would never call me back about it so I should close the case.

2) Fight, fight, fight until you get someone at Corporate who actually LISTENS to you.

3) Do steps #1 & 2 w/ the BBB.
Have you contacted the BBB yet?

Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ds61761

I recommend you get everything, including their denial, documented in writing and either file a case in small claims court or contact a consumer protection attorney. Honda just got spanked in small claims court in another case:

Honda loses Small Claims Court suit over Civic hybrid fuel economy - Los Angeles Times
From that article, it mentions her website DontSettleWithHonda.org which has links to your specific states and what you need to do to go down the path. really good read

Old 04-18-2012, 02:52 PM
I would do a timesert instead of helicoil for a spark plug.
http://www.timesert.com/html/faq.html

Old 04-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi DSM,

The Helicoil sparkplug inserts aren't like their usual "coil of wire".. They are a solid sleeve threaded on both sides like the Timeserts.

There are also solid sleeve aluminum inserts on the market that might be even better. They don't cause the plugs to run hotter like the steel inserts do. You can thank Ford engineers for those being created. They really screwed up one of their motor designs and these inserts had to be created.

John

Old 05-06-2012, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Just wondering if they were removed when lost motion spring recall was done?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by lowkeymods
Long story short: Look in your manual and follow the steps they suggest to dispute a denial on their part. Honda magically changed their mind by time I got the BBB involved.

3) Do steps #1 & 2 w/ the BBB.
Very much agree with the suggestion to contact the Better Business Bureau. You can file online.

While I have never contacted the BBB for an auto issue I filed a complaint over a warranty issue on a large appliance and an issue with a contractor over a home improvement project that went awry.

In both cases, before contacting the BBB, I was getting the run around, no return calls, being transferred from dept to dept, etc. Within days after filing an online complaint, a representative from the Corporate Headquarters and, in the second case, a district manager, contacted me directly, and were falling all over themselves to resolve the problem.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 PM
bump for a resolution

Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Hi guys, I've just had the same problem on Sunday with my Honda fit sport!!! my spark plug blew out! my car had 112000 km and I cannot accept paying for this repair also. My warranty is just passed but seeing that this problem is not the first time I have a chance to win. There's no way I'm paying for this. I wanted a reliable car that was gonna last me a long time. did no mods at all. i just need something reliable! spark plug blowing out of car is not reliable!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 09sporthondafit
Hi guys, I've just had the same problem on Sunday with my Honda fit sport!!! my spark plug blew out! my car had 112000 km and I cannot accept paying for this repair also. My warranty is just passed but seeing that this problem is not the first time I have a chance to win. There's no way I'm paying for this. I wanted a reliable car that was gonna last me a long time. did no mods at all. i just need something reliable! spark plug blowing out of car is not reliable!
what makes you think you have a chance to win? the person who was under warrenty didnt win.

good luck...

Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
lawyer that shit there free they dnt charge u shit make it become a lemon i lemon my 2010 CIVic si they had a tech from honda corp come look at my car they said rearsubframe failed due to bad welding from manufacture at 30,000 miles the problem started at 9,000miles it was makeing a pop noise when pulling out drive way going over dips it sound like my rear end was gunna rip out they replace all kinds of shit tho before they gave up and finaly notice it

Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM
After 5 months i'm still bitter about the situation. I hate hearing its happening to other people. There's a real problem here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug Blown on Low Mileage Fit (HONDA DENIES WARRANTY)