2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Spark Plug Blown on Low Mileage Fit (HONDA DENIES WARRANTY)

Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Spark Plug Blown on Low Mileage Fit (HONDA DENIES WARRANTY)

I'm a newbie here, I bought my 2009 Honda Fit Sport M/T brand new. The car has 78,000km (48,500miles). All the servicing has been done at 2 Honda dealerships.

The car had no acceleration and weird noise in highway traffic. I took it to the nearest dealership (my third dealership). Turns out Cylinder 2 blew the spark plug and apparently cylinder 1, 3 and 4 were 'loose.' I asked if it was covered under the Honda Powertrain Warranty (5yrs/100,000), which it states in the manual. However, Honda Canada determined that the failures are due to 'tampering.'

I bought the car and maintain it like a baby. Get all the servicing done Honda Dealership only. I can't accept that's the reason why. I was insulted because I felt they were blaming me.

They decided to do helicoli to fix it. They said it should fix the problem. I'm weary and not sure what to do. What do you people think? What should I do?

Thanks!
Herm

Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hermanp
I asked if it was covered under the Honda Powertrain Warranty (5yrs/100,000), which it states in the manual. However, Honda Canada determined that the failures are due to 'tampering.'
What did they claim was tampered with? Is there anyway you can contact Honda directly and escalate the issue?

From your post, it appears you never serviced the car yourself. How can they claim tampering?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
So they want you to pay for the helicoil repair?

Is there any truth to their claim of tampering? Did you really never touch the spark plugs, or did you maybe get curious and took a peek at them for fun.
If you don't accept their reason, then Really don't accept it, with confidence, rather than half-heartedly. Be outraged or at least express cold-anger! Otherwise it will seem like you are bending the truth about what happened.

Contact Honda corporate but get your story straight and tell it with confidence.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 PM
I've called Honda Canada and escalated it. They stand firm that the 3 other loose spark plugs were there reasoning for tampering. I don't even know where about the spark plugs are in my car! Let alone how to get to them.

I've told them my end of the story, and they've told me that they believe that its has been tampered. I asked if they need all my service record and why they believe its tampering. There response is that it shouldn't happen on a vehicle this early. I'm losing faith in getting it resolved.

I wouldn't make a big deal about, but when I'm unable to get a clear concrete answer it, I can't accept it answer 'we think it been tampered with.' I've talked to my 2 other dealership mechanics, and they also tried to assist in the escalation of the ticket.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Yes they want me to pay for the helicoil repair, and everything that requires to be replaced, and labour. Apparently it could be anywhere from $2000 to $3000 or more!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Here's my experience w/ the Honda warranty: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...y-issue-6.html

Long story short: Look in your manual and follow the steps they suggest to dispute a denial on their part. Honda magically changed their mind by time I got the BBB involved.

Edit: A few extra things to note...

1) Emphasize to Honda Corporate that it is the lack of explanation/evidence that troubles you more than the repair...I had a douche of a service manager who didn't explain anything to me or explain his conclusion and the first rep I spoke w/ and Honda Corporate told me it was the dealerships call and they would never call me back about it so I should close the case.

2) Fight, fight, fight until you get someone at Corporate who actually LISTENS to you.

3) Do steps #1 & 2 w/ the BBB.

Last edited by lowkeymods; 04-10-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
It sounds like the tech that installed the spark plugs was distracted by something and didn't finish what he'd started... People screw up all of the time and Honda knows that... They are just being assholes about this thing.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Why would any of the techs have even touched the spark plugs when you only have 48.5k miles?

You said you never touched your spark plugs and you don't even know where they are?

I don't get how all 4 plugs are loose unless someone tampered with them. Would they have lasted 48.5k miles if they were loose to begin with? I am doubtful. Who tampered with them? That's the real question.

Are you sure you never touched or tried to change the spark plugs? I just have to ask. If you really didn't do anything, then stand your ground and make a big fuss out of it.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 AM
ohw
5 Year Member
Herm, Do you have any mods on your car, or is it completely stock?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 AM
If you were being an a-hole to them, they may have been being a-holes to you.

Regardless, you need to contact Honda corporate and also ask to speak with the Service Manager. Calmly explain the problem and make sure to emphasize, several times if needed, that the car has only been serviced by Honda (and they should be able to confirm that). If it doesn't work, you may need to get an area manager involved. I would be pushing for a head replacement - I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want a helicoil on my car that I bought brand new, let alone with only 49k miles!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Why would any of the techs have even touched the spark plugs when you only have 48.5k miles?

You said you never touched your spark plugs and you don't even know where they are?

I don't get how all 4 plugs are loose unless someone tampered with them. Would they have lasted 48.5k miles if they were loose to begin with? I am doubtful. Who tampered with them? That's the real question.

Are you sure you never touched or tried to change the spark plugs? I just have to ask. If you really didn't do anything, then stand your ground and make a big fuss out of it.
I'm with you on this. Something is not adding up.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

There are no modifications done to my car, its completely stock. I bought it solely for the reason that the engine and the car were built to last for a long period. I went in thinking I'm making a good investment in a well built car.

I've received a call today from the Dealership with my car, they asked to about what happened and where it happened. They were surprised I was from out of town (for business). An hour outside of my home dealership. I told him I have all my service records if they require it. He said he would call back when more about the cost of the repair.

My normal mechanic/service adviser at my home dealership said its quite possible that the plugs loosened from the increased pressure on the dead cylinder or vibrations over time. I'm trying to get a clear answer from Honda because I'm unable to accept possibility of tampering as a conclusion.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 PM
There response is that it shouldn't happen on a vehicle this early.
This is the most ridiculous warranty copout excuse. The whole point of a warranty is to COVER PARTS THAT FAIL PREMATURELY!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:31 PM

There are no modifications done to my car, its completely stock. I bought it solely for the reason that the engine and the car were built to last for a long period. I went in thinking I'm making a good investment in a well built car.

I've received a call today from the Dealership with my car, they asked to about what happened and where it happened. They were surprised I was from out of town (for business). An hour outside of my home dealership. I told him I have all my service records if they require it. He said he would call back when more about the cost of the repair.

My normal mechanic/service adviser at my home dealership said its quite possible that the plugs loosened from the increased pressure on the dead cylinder or vibrations over time. I'm trying to get a clear answer from Honda because I'm unable to accept possibility of tampering as a conclusion.
Vibration from the dead cylinder? You would have a lot more loose parts I think.

That still doesn't explain how the one blew out. It must have torn all of the threads out of the cylinder head. To me this is a sign that the plug was actually over tightened or cross threaded at some point, causing the threads to fail.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:33 PM
My normal mechanic/service adviser at my home dealership said its quite possible that the plugs loosened from the increased pressure on the dead cylinder or vibrations over time.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Since you are the original owner, and never had service done on the plugs or did it yourself, and there is no evidence of your vehilce having been tampered with, and since loose plugs are not a known problem on this car, the only explanation left is that the plugs were installed but never torqued down at assembly. This step must have somehow been missed- what other explanation could there be? Over the last 3 years they started working their way loose and eventually one of them blew, ripping some threads with it. I'd demand warranty satisfaction, and frankly even with that I'd still be upset that I now had an engine with repaired threads.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Seeing these posts on denied warranty claims is VERY disappointing. Shame on the dealer and Honda.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
I'm sure most of you are aware of the loose seat rail bolts that were shipping out of the factory at one point on the GEs. That's a pretty important part of the car. I think it's possible this is an assembly error. I'm mad they aren't being more responsive, based on your story, which doesn't seem faulty. I mean, if you don't know where the plugs are, you bought the car new, and have the service records, then I don't know what they, or any of us, could say to argue with that.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 AM
It's sad but it's hard to prove that the car wasn't tampered with. With that said, ummmmmmm no I would pay $3000 for that...couldn't justify putting almost a third of the cars value into a spark plug repair. I'm not going to even speak on what's involved with the repair because for all i know it could take 40 man hours but financially if it's even close to feasible I think I would step away from the car if you get stuck with that bill. $3000 is a nice down payment on something new!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member
Where in Canada Herman? What dealerships?

bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug Blown on Low Mileage Fit (HONDA DENIES WARRANTY)