2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

best rubber mats?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 AM
mbr
best rubber mats?

One of the reason I picked the Fit is that I hike and bike a lot, and the interior is much more accommodating to these pursuits then some others I looked at. I didn't get the Honda all weather mats when I purchased the car, as I wanted to do some research on other all weather mats. What do you recommend, as far as protection/fit/durability are concerned? Thanks.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:54 AM
You did the right thing not getting the OEM (dealer) rubber mats in your situation.

The OEM mats are not much bigger than the carpet ones. They don't have a lip to catch snow or slush from spilling over onto your carpet. These rubber mats are good for daily driving in the spring / summer / fall months where you want to get a more durable mat than the carpet ones and want to easily clean them.

The rear cargo area mat is very good if you have the rear seat up. It has a big lip to catch everything and is made of some nice rubber. If the seats are in the folded down position it only covers the back half of the cargo area. Not good for a mountain bike expedition.

To solve your problem, here is my recommendation.

Weather tech makes mats that are custom fitting for your car. They are the best out there.

Car Mats, Floor Mats, Cargo Liners, Side Window Deflectors | WeatherTech.com

or in Canada

Homepage | WeatherTech.ca

I would only get the two front ones. The rear passenger seat ones would be useless when the seats are down. But if you have four passengers going for a ride then yes get the rear ones as well.

For the rear cargo area I purchased a black double fitted (elastic band around the bottom) bed sheet for $10 at Walmart. It wraps around the folded seats and goes all the way to the back. On top I put a blanket. Easy to wash in the washing machine.

This is a pic of the OEM rubber mats I got from the dealer. Not much protection.

Name:  DSCF0029.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  261.9 KB

Here's a pic from the Weather Tech website showing them installed on a Honda Fit

These are pics showing my fitted bed sheet over the back folded seats.

Name:  DSCF0027.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  179.4 KB

Name:  DSCF0032.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  238.5 KB

One last recommendation. The cover over the cargo area in the back is flimsy. I think it's just a piece cardboard covered in material. It wouldn't stand up to much abuse in my opinion. That's why I purchased the cargo tray from Honda. I put it on top of the fitted sheet and under the blanket. Sturdy. Weather Tech has their own version. The rear bumper applique is a must to prevent scratches. Available from Honda / easy self install in 10 mins. You can see both it in the pic below

Honda cargo tray

Weather Tech cargo liner. Looks like a tighter fit around the edges from the picture. I've got the Honda version and it does a good job.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 05-31-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 AM
I purchased the Rubber Queen vinyl mats off amazon. They're universal so the fit probably won't be perfect. For the price (~$28), I think I can live with that. They had good reviews on amazon, too.

They should be coming in today for me so i'll post pics when I can.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
The OEM rubber mats are okay but not great. Thankfully I got mine for free as part of the haggling over the price of the car. I am tempted to get the Weather Tech's, but i HATE products that have large, brightly colored logos.
YMMV

Dan

Old 05-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by phinegan
The OEM rubber mats are okay but not great. Thankfully I got mine for free as part of the haggling over the price of the car. I am tempted to get the Weather Tech's, but i HATE products that have large, brightly colored logos.
YMMV

Dan
you could always dressed them up with something like these

Honda Carpet Tag Badge NSX Civic Accord Fit Odyssey CrV Floor Mat Emblem | eBay

Old 05-31-2012, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
You can also get abetter bumper protector than the Honda one-- its much thicker - the Honda one is like textured sandpaper - I learned about this one after I bought and installed the Honda one--I put this on top of the Honda one. the smaller size is for the Fit

Powerflow Bumper Protector

Zeta Products also sells the same one
09 + Honda Fit Rear Bumper Protector

Last edited by sooznd; 05-31-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Rubber Queen Mats

Hey, I just put in my Rubber Queen mats. Here's some pics.

Driver's Side Mat. As you can see, there are different sections to cut away for a better fit. I chose not to just to have more coverage. The cut lines help to allow the mat to bend to the curves of the floor, as seen near the top right of the picture. The Fit around the dead pedal isn't great, but I find that I'm either resting my foot on the clutch or the dead pedal and not on that in-between region anyway so it doesn't bother me.

I had to cut a hole for the floor clip things. Not the cleanest but it's pretty easy and seems to work effectively.

Rear Passenger Mat. It doesn't cover everything, but it covers where the feet go when you're sitting. I think that's sufficient for me.

(If you want to see a few more pics, there are couple more in my progress thread in my sig.)

-----
Some comments:
Beside the driver's mat, the other mats, especially rear passengers', can move around pretty easily. I don't think they will move too much if you don't really try to purposefully move them around, but they definitely aren't stuck in place or anything.

Also, I don't really notice any smells like some reviewers on Amazon were mentioning. Perhaps I have weaker smelling skills than most people???

All in all, I'd say the mats aren't bad at all. The fit isn't perfect, but I'd say the mats cover the most important areas. They are pretty thick, but not as thick as the one in Dwalbert's first pic he posted. They feel durable, but time will tell if they are or not.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
You can also get abetter bumper protector than the Honda one-- its much thicker - the Honda one is like textured sandpaper - I learned about this one after I bought and installed the Honda one--I put this on top of the Honda one. the smaller size is for the Fit

Powerflow Bumper Protector

Zeta Products also sells the same one
09 + Honda Fit Rear Bumper Protector
I never quite understood the purpose of this same with front bras. You're not really protecting the bumper since you're basically covering up the car.

Do people ever realistically see themselves taking the protector off in the future?

Might as well ding it up a bit first, then put the protector on to cover up the dings.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
I checked recently and couldn't find the rear cargo mat from Weather tech. Maybe I missed it.

Do recommend weathertech a lot though. Had a mat set for my CRV. Will probably get fronts for the Fit too. Major difference vs other choices (aside from 100% made in USA which they push in Road & Track!) is the high quality plastic - it won't harden or crack when the weather gets cold. A big plus if, in the middle of January, you need to take it out and dump out some ice left over from the last time you got dirty, drove, and then let the car sit over night.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 AM
[QUOTE=fujisawa;1103798]I checked recently and couldn't find the rear cargo mat from Weather tech. Maybe I missed it.

You are right! I couldn't find one either....strange eh?

Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Originally Posted by fujisawa
I checked recently and couldn't find the rear cargo mat from Weather tech. Maybe I missed it.
You are right! I couldn't find one either....strange eh?
I was looking, too, and realized it's a universal item and not specific to any vehicle:
AVM - Universal Cargo Mat Product Education Center | WeatherTech.com

Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowplay
I was looking, too, and realized it's a universal item and not specific to any vehicle:
AVM - Universal Cargo Mat Product Education Center | WeatherTech.com
Seen...thanks! Not sure I like the cut-to-fit thing....I like the OEM better for the rear cargo area.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:02 PM
mbr
I went with the Honda OEM All-weather mats. I liked the better coverage in the rear, even though the hump isn't covered, and was impressed with the weight of the rubber. Got my dealer to give them to me, with a rear tray, for about what I'd get 'em on-line, too. We'll see how they hold up. Thanks for your advice.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
There is a easy and inexpensive fix for the Weathertech mats sliding around.

Go to Lowes or Home Deport (maybe even Walmart) and look for high adhesive velcro. Cut off some 1"*2" pieces of the hook side, and put 3-4 at the back on the upright portion, and 1-2 on the side upright on the "tunnel".

The hook sticky side will be adhesive mounted to the mat, and the hook sinks into the carpet. You can use both sides of the velcro on the door jam side upright to close any gap for better appearance and to keep any water/grunge out.

Being carefull with breaking the velcro loose from the carpet, you can still remove the mats for cleaning.

I bought a 2012 Fit on Monday, installed the Mats Tuesday, and did the velcro fix today.

Also, if you don't like the bright Weathertech emblem they peel right off. Only a light duty adhesive holds them on.
Dan

Old 07-14-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm all over this fix. Many thanks.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
The industrial strength velcro "stickum" didn't last on the slick weather tech mat back and came loose.

Today I roughed up the spots on the mats I want to adhere the velcro to, then used high strength black silicone to "glue" the velcro to the back of the mat. I overlapped a small amount around the edges of the velcro as well.

I only did the drivers side for now as a test to see if the velcro will stay attached with this method. If it fails, I may try some 2 part epoxy on the passenger side.

Originally Posted by AC7880
There is a easy and inexpensive fix for the Weathertech mats sliding around.

Go to Lowes or Home Deport (maybe even Walmart) and look for high adhesive velcro. Cut off some 1"*2" pieces of the hook side, and put 3-4 at the back on the upright portion, and 1-2 on the side upright on the "tunnel".

The hook sticky side will be adhesive mounted to the mat, and the hook sinks into the carpet. You can use both sides of the velcro on the door jam side upright to close any gap for better appearance and to keep any water/grunge out.

Being carefull with breaking the velcro loose from the carpet, you can still remove the mats for cleaning.

I bought a 2012 Fit on Monday, installed the Mats Tuesday, and did the velcro fix today.

Also, if you don't like the bright Weathertech emblem they peel right off. Only a light duty adhesive holds them on.
Dan

Old 08-16-2012, 04:13 AM
I examined lately and couldn't look for the back freight mat from Climate technical. Maybe I skipped it.
Do suggest weathertech a lot though. Had a mat set for my CRV. Will probably get methodologies for the Fit too. Significant distinction vs other options (aside from 100% created in USA which they force in Street & Track!) is the top excellent nasty - it won't firm up or break when the elements gets freezing. A big plus if, in the center of Jan, you need to take it out and dispose of out some ice remaining over from the before you got unclean, owned, and then let the car sit instantly.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 PM
I went for the Huskyliners brand for front, back, and cargo area. I'd say they've already paid for themselves by saving me from a leaky portable potty (plastic) bag that my daughter used a few weeks ago. The multiple ridges really held in all the liquids.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by E_Honda
I went for the Huskyliners brand for front, back, and cargo area. I'd say they've already paid for themselves by saving me from a leaky portable potty (plastic) bag that my daughter used a few weeks ago. The multiple ridges really held in all the liquids.

can you post some photos of these?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:39 PM
sure. Can't get pictures up right now due to lack of camera.
They have a nice lip on all edges. My only gripe is that on the driver door side, it isn't 100% flush with the edge - its barely noticeable unless you're anal about everything.

Price being a factor but also chose these over weathertech since it appeared that they offer better deadpedal coverage.
lifetime warranty on these things too but I don't see how I'm going to crack them.

Last edited by E_Honda; 08-16-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best rubber mats?