2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Service Department NIGHTMARES

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Honda Service Department NIGHTMARES

First off, I know that I can do all of the usual maintenance myself in the driveway. Fortunately, Honda made the Fit so that oil changes and atf fluid drains can be done easily in the driveway with a pan and socket wrench. However, I like bringing my car to the dealer service department because I dont enjoy changing the oil and they are the ones who really "know" my car as they work on them every day exclusively.

I have been to different dealerships in my area and its been a total nightmare. The wait is usually way too long wherever I take it and then I get different price quotes for just about everything. Sometimes they make suggestions which I know are just to pad the service ticket such as changing the brake fluid because it looks dirty or changing the power steering fluid. Ive seen some places charge $70 just for the A-1 service.

The difference between A and B service is that A is just an oil change and B is an oil change with a thorough mechanical inspection of the car. Usually, you can just go with the A service. My local Honda dealer, Mahwah Honda in Mahwah NJ, just charges me $32 for the oil change and tire rotation because I always get a coupon and part of their car club (I provide the oil to them for the changes as I dont like bulk oil). Mahwah Honda inspects the car anyway and gives me a detailed report too.

Anytime you go with B service then they are going to be charging you big. I can understand having a B service after 75000 miles or 5 years because its now an older car with miles and so its nice to have the car thoroughly inspected. However, if your car is relatively new then its probably best to insist on just an oil change at the dealer. No matter what your maintenance minder says you can probably just get away with an oil change and have them reset the light. A car under 5 years old doesnt need a thorough mechanical inspection.

So the moral of the story is to shop around and look for coupons on the internet when it comes to these Honda dealers. These dealers usually have the coupons on their site. Know the dealer is probably going to insist on something to pad the estimate and they are not honest at all. At the end of the day, your Honda probably just needs an oil change and maintained according to the service manual. If the manual says to change the air filter or cabin filter then just go to the parts department, buy it and do it yourself. Just let the dealer rotate the tires and change the oil or whatever other stuff you cant do. If the dealer insists on doing something that sounds a bit fishy then just tell them to do the oil change, go home, research it on the net and go back later on. If a dealer screws you then go to another dealer. I would never go back to a place where I felt I got screwed.

Dont bother with Honda brakepads, they suck and dont last. Pick up the pads at Autozone. I bought the best pads for my fit that Autozone had and they are now at nearly twice the life as I got from the Honda pads and the dealer says they still have a lot of pad. Dont bother with the Dunlop tires, they suck too. Look on tire-rack and pick another tire. Go to sears to get them. Mine are the Yokohama Avids which have also lasted better then the ole Dunlops.

Another alternative to the dealer service department is Firestone. Firestone is a little cheaper offering about the same service and such.

Last edited by SevereService; 06-02-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
The nightmare is what? Coupons and extra service? Not following what the nightmares are all about.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think different dealers charging more or less counts a nightmare. Do you own stock in Firestone or something?

Old 06-03-2012, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
I had a bubble in a Dunlop last week. I put two Yokohama Avids on at Tire Rack. I'm happy to hear your recommendation / experience. Also they are a LRR tire.

I have read lots of bad reports on the Dunlops and their wear rating is really poor. The bubble just appeared in the side wall of the Dunlop on the Saturday before Memorial day day with no noticeable evidence of side wall damage. So the first thing Tuesday the car was sitting at Tire Rack for a new pair. As soon as I wear out or blow out the other Dunlops, I'll put two more Yokohama's on the other axle.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n9cv
I had a bubble in a Dunlop last week. I put two Yokohama Avids on at Tire Rack. I'm happy to hear your recommendation / experience. Also they are a LRR tire.

I have read lots of bad reports on the Dunlops and their wear rating is really poor. The bubble just appeared in the side wall of the Dunlop on the Saturday before Memorial day day with no noticeable evidence of side wall damage. So the first thing Tuesday the car was sitting at Tire Rack for a new pair. As soon as I wear out or blow out the other Dunlops, I'll put two more Yokohama's on the other axle.
Had the same thing happen to my Dunlops got a bubble on the driver side. Replaced with Yokohoma's all the way around and so happy that I did. They made a big difference in the cars handling. As far as dealership service goes Lester Raines Honda is the bomb! They are awesome, often did recall work without me asking them to. Always give the car a good look over and alert me when anything needs done.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
it is what it is

Which is why its hard to trust dealerships when it comes to major work.

Same thing happens to me whenever I go to honda though I find it funny and ignorant, that they would recommend you change the power steering fluid.

If they did, never return there again: Fits dont have hydraulic Power Steering, there is no reservoir in there so WTF were they looking at? the EGR Valve?

Old 06-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Santiad
Which is why its hard to trust dealerships when it comes to major work.

Same thing happens to me whenever I go to honda though I find it funny and ignorant, that they would recommend you change the power steering fluid.

If they did, never return there again: Fits dont have hydraulic Power Steering, there is no reservoir in there so WTF were they looking at? the EGR Valve?
+1 If they really are the ones who "know" your car they would know this. The thing I hate more than going into a dealership for serviced is getting my state inspection. They have all the power to be complete asses to say fail you need this and this done. They have all the power. So now that you know that the service department isn't good, do all your maintenence yourself.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Kinda sounds like this guy has finally come to the conclusion that many of us have already know fooooooorrrrrrr....... What? 20 yrs?

Old 06-03-2012, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SevereService
. My local Honda dealer, Mahwah Honda in Mahwah NJ, just charges me $32 for the oil change and tire rotation because I always get a coupon and part of their car club (I provide the oil to them for the changes as I dont like bulk oil). Mahwah Honda inspects the car anyway and gives me a detailed report too.
How do you know they are using the Oil you provided?

Also why don't you like bulk oil it's the same thing that you get in your Qt's or Gal bottles, maybe not the brand but it all start off as bulk. Most dealerships and quick lube places use bulk oil because it cuts down the price for them and the customer, Also since they use so much oil in a short time it the oil doesn't sit in there tanks for long.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:02 PM
In my 40 years of driving, I have never let a dealer touch my rig after it left the lot, so I really don't have any Service Dept Horror story's, I am now at a point in my life where driving my car is more fun than working/servicing it, so I might have more to add in the future. Oh..no mater how much they smile while you are at the Service Dept counter, keep in mind all stealerships are Thieving Bastards.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
I have read lots of bad reports on the Dunlops and their wear rating is really poor. The bubble just appeared in the side wall of the Dunlop on the Saturday before Memorial day day with no noticeable evidence of side wall damage.
Are you sure you don't remember hitting a pothole? Maybe someone else driving the car did? This happened when I had my 09, but I hit a nasty, jarring pothole to cause it. To have the tire bubble just because is a serious...and unlikely defect. So far with the duns on my 2012, I've had better karma. No flats or potholes.....yet.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I dont have a problem going to a dealer, but only certain dealers. Mahwah Honda's service department has never given me a bad deal. Recently, there was some type of rattling with my Honda Fit. The rattle turned out to be a loose cover and they fixed it for free. Using the coupon, I was charged $32 for a thorough mechanical inspection, oil change and rotation of the tires. I did provide them with fully synthetic oil.

On the other hand, my friend went to Planet Honda in Union NJ and was charged $400. They kept padding the bill and telling her that all kinds of things were needed on her car. They wanted to change the brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc. It just kept going and going. Obviously, they were not being honest with her.

The dealership's typically use bulk oil which they have negotiated a contract with some local vendor. Their oil probably meets the specifications, but I guess I am just anal about these things and feel more comfortable using the oil that comes in the bottle. I buy the fully synthetic oil that Honda markets. I know you can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil fully synthetic at the local Walmart for $27 which will probably work just as well, but I settle for getting the Honda branded oil from Bernardi parts. The Honda branded oil is really Kendall oil. Kendall is a well known brand, but I cant find any of it on the store shelves around here. The only way to get it is to buy the Honda branded oil or take it to a Firestone dealer which has a contract with Kendall. Im pretty sure the local Honda dealer will tell you they use Mobil 1, but maybe they might have a contract with Kendall like Firestone. Who knows... We could go round and round discussing which oil to use, but I am most comfortable just buying the full synthetic Honda brand from Bernardi parts and handing to them to use. My logic is that if Honda puts its name on the bottle then they are probably most comfortable using this brand of oil for their own reasons.

Ive had very good luck with this tire, the Yokohama AVID ENvigor:

Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H- or V-Speed Rated)

However my next tire will be Yokohama AVID Ascend:

Yokohama AVID Ascend (T-Speed Rated)

The Ascend's boast a tire wear rating of 800 and Im looking for the longest lasting tire. I dont think the Ascend would be as sporty, but probably a more comfortable and longer lasting tire. Probably has better capability in the weather. A tire like that one is better suited for the tri-state area's four seasons then a sport oriented one.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:57 PM
I dont have a problem going to a dealer, but only certain dealers. Mahwah Honda's service department has never given me a bad deal. Recently, there was some type of rattling with my Honda Fit. The rattle turned out to be a loose cover and they fixed it for free. Using the coupon, I was charged $32 for a thorough mechanical inspection, oil change and rotation of the tires. I did provide them with fully synthetic oil.

On the other hand, my friend went to Planet Honda in Union NJ and was charged $400. They kept padding the bill and telling her that all kinds of things were needed on her car. They wanted to change the brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc. It just kept going and going. Obviously, they were not being honest with her.

The dealership's typically use bulk oil which they have negotiated a contract with some local vendor. Their oil probably meets the specifications, but I guess I am just anal about these things and feel more comfortable using the oil that comes in the bottle. I buy the fully synthetic oil that Honda markets. I know you can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil fully synthetic at the local Walmart for $27 which will probably work just as well, but I settle for getting the Honda branded oil from Bernardi parts. The Honda branded oil is really Kendall oil. Kendall is a well known brand, but I cant find any of it on the store shelves around here. The only way to get it is to buy the Honda branded oil or take it to a Firestone dealer which has a contract with Kendall. Im pretty sure the local Honda dealer will tell you they use Mobil 1, but maybe they might have a contract with Kendall like Firestone. Who knows... We could go round and round discussing which oil to use, but I am most comfortable just buying the full synthetic Honda brand from Bernardi parts and handing to them to use. My logic is that if Honda puts its name on the bottle then they are probably most comfortable using this brand of oil for their own reasons.

Ive had very good luck with this tire, the Yokohama AVID ENvigor:

Yokohama*AVID ENVigor (H- or V-Speed Rated)

However my next tire will be Yokohama AVID Ascend:

Yokohama*AVID Ascend (T-Speed Rated)

The Ascend's boast a tire wear rating of 800 and Im looking for the longest lasting tire. I dont think the Ascend would be as sporty, but probably a more comfortable and longer lasting tire. Probably has better capability in the weather. A tire like that one is better suited for the tri-state area's four seasons then a sport oriented one.
Not to nit pick but Full Synthetic Honda oil is not Kendall but it's made by Conoco Phillips who DOES make Kendall. Kendall Full Synthetic oils have Titanium as an anti-wear additive where the Honda oil has none. If you really want Kendall oil you can buy it here: Kendall GT-1 FS w/Ti 0w-20 12/1qt.case---BUY IT NOW!!!

After shipping for me it's $5.20 a quart so I'll be going to this oil after my stash of Free Quaker State is depleted.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
That is what I bought. Yokohama AVID Ascend. I think the tread wear rating was 740 while the Dunlop was 340.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Here's a crap Honda dealer story.

Got a flat. Used the goo to inflate the tire and get to work. Made a service appointment. tire warranty still in effect. Got her on the road above 100 km/h and it started shaking like crazy.

Took it to a different dealer. They found the goo still inside the repaired tire. Threw off the balance.

All fixed now.

Never going back to that original dealer!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Here's a crap Honda dealer story.

Got a flat. Used the goo to inflate the tire and get to work. Made a service appointment. tire warranty still in effect. Got her on the road above 100 km/h and it started shaking like crazy.

Took it to a different dealer. They found the goo still inside the repaired tire. Threw off the balance.

All fixed now.

Never going back to that original dealer!
I don't get it???

Old 06-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by n9cv
That is what I bought. Yokohama AVID Ascend. I think the tread wear rating was 740 while the Dunlop was 340.
In this economy, you need a tire that will last first and foremost. I kind of think the Ascend might be a less aggressive tire, but it will probably do well in all climates, more comfortable and last longer.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I usually develop a relationship with my dealer and get to know people in all departments.

I still keep a eye on them when I have any service done but so far so good.

I mark my filters and little things that let me know if something was actually replaced or not.

I also make it a point to let them know I do know about my car and general auto mechanics and it cut's a lot of bull.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks. I never thought to mark the filter. Although I do all of the air and cabin filter changes myself. Why pay someone to do something that you can do in 5 minutes or less?

Old 06-04-2012, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
In this economy, you need a tire that will last first and foremost. I kind of think the Ascend might be a less aggressive tire, but it will probably do well in all climates, more comfortable and last longer.
This is some of the worst advice I've seen. Usually tires that are designed to last long do so at the cost of performance. One swerve on the freeway or slick road and you can lose control and crash. Is it worth saving a hundred or so dollars every few years if you're more likely to understeer into oncoming traffic around a curve? Or oversteer into a curb and bend a rim on a curb?

Quick Reply: Honda Service Department NIGHTMARES