2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

what's the best cargo area cover?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:04 PM
what's the best cargo area cover?

I just bought a 2010 Sport Fit on Wed. I have 3 Labrador Retrievers that will ride in the back. I need a cover that goes over the head rests on the front seats and covers the entire back seat (which will be down) and the cargo area. Any suggestions for something that works well? Trying to keep the car from being covered in dog hair as much as possible!

Old 08-12-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm curious what you go with

I'm curious on this as well, as my girlfriend has an Akita Inu (BIG Japanese husky like dog) and he loves to go for rides. We used to take him about in my old Taurus Wagon (Which I didn't give a crap about getting dog hair in)

Honda Cargo Liner (Fit) - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Bernardi seems to have the best price on OEM equipment I've seen online, and I debated picking up one of these for the back of my car for our dog.

Whatever you go with, please post pics as I'd love see what you get and your review of it! Good luck!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Were it I, I'd get a sheet (or possibly 2 to make it double thick) or large blanket to spread out in the back. Whatever you use is going to need to get washed occasionally, so might as well make it easily removable.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:11 PM
I ordered a hatch bag from Drs Foster and Smith. It looks like what I am wanting and is custom made for a Fit. I have put blankets down in cars and the dogs just move them. I need something that will stay put!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by agios11
I ordered a hatch bag from Drs Foster and Smith. It looks like what I am wanting and is custom made for a Fit. I have put blankets down in cars and the dogs just move them. I need something that will stay put!

please post photos when you get this!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Fitted sheets

I have 2 English Bulldogs that shed twice a year...for 6 months. I feel your pain.

Here is what I did. I went to Walmart and got a fitted sheet (size=double...fitted means it has an elastic band in guy speak kinda like Fruit of the Loom)

Then I added a blanket.

You can also see the rear cargo mat OEM from Honda that I added to add strength to weak cargo cover that Honda provided.

When the whole mess gets dirty I throw the lot in the wash....Easy peasy.

Pics= louder than words

The white ring you see on my seat is slobber....

Name:  DSCF0027.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  179.4 KB

Name:  DSCF0026.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  226.5 KB

Name:  DSCF0028.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  251.4 KB

Name:  DSCF0032.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  238.5 KB

Name:  DSCF0043.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  123.3 KB

I don't think you can find a better solution. The bed sheet cost me $10. you can wrap around the back seats and then lift the spare tire cover in the rear and wrap around that...Works like a champ...

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 08-12-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 AM
I will post pics when my hatch bag gets here. Will be 4-6 weeks though since it's custom made! Thanks also for the sheet pics, a fitted sheet us a good idea. May give it a try if the hatch bag doesn't work. I like that the hatch bag also covers the back of the front seats where the sheets don't.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 AM
FWIW, the Honda cargo liner sucks.

I bought it because like many here I'm transporting a dog, and also a muddy mountain bike. I like that has 2 side pieces for the wheel wells.

However the 2 pieces that cover the wheel wells in the back are held on by velcro dots. Despite following instructions to the letter, whenever it gets hot out the glue on the velcro dots doesn't stick, and the pieces just fall off.

I'm going to have to drill some holes and secure the side pieces with proper fasteners.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 AM
I bought the cargo liner as well and experienced the same issue with the 3M velcro dots. I'm not sure if I will leave the side panels in at this point and just find a different velcro that will stick to the plastic or remove the side panels.

I bought some cheap seat covers from Target for the front seats and they cover completely. I attempted to install some cheap seat covers for the second row seats but that didn't work out so well. I ended up getting the OEM second row seat covers from Bernardi's and they worked out pretty well.

The OEM cargo liner seems pretty rugged and I'm glad I got it. Now all of the seats are completely covered as is the cargo area. The OEM cargo liner fits pretty nicely and should stay in place.

I'd be happy to take a quick pic with my phone and post it for anyone wanting to see.

Last edited by snuwer; 08-17-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by snuwer

I'd be happy to take a quick pic with my phone and post it for anyone wanting to see.
I would love to see pics! I may invest in the front seat covers also. Would love to see pics of them and the back. My dogs shed like crazy so front seat covers are a great idea too! Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-17-2012, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
The only thing I don't like about the Honda tray is the edges. I understand not spilling anything, but they don't really do much.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:04 AM
I work for a display company, and got some "christmas tree" plugs. This weekend I'm going to install the side covers with them. It will require drilling, but they will hold much better, and the plugs will look fine if I take the covers out.

I'll take pics and post them. I too like the OEM for the side panels and the protection from my bike stuff and beast of a dog.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 AM
I have two boxers to transport in the fit. I use a seat cover sold by the Duluth trading company. It has loops that are attached to the back seat head rest . When I fold the seat down the car is ready for my dogs. One of my dogs got sick once in the fit. I'm glad I had this cover. Nothing seeps through . All i had to do, was hang it up and hose it off.

Seat Protector - Scout's Seat Saver - Duluth Trading Company

Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM
My apologies for the quality of the pictures. I took them with my phone and there was a lot of sun glare. The car is pretty dirty at the moment as well.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 AM
If you have any questions or would like to see better pictures just let me know.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:13 PM
As a temporary stopgap until I get something more suitable, I used a medium grey heavy generic rubber mat with a raised lip that I bought at Costco 5 years or so back. I had them in the back of a number of my cars, so had one taking up space in my garage.

While I didn't measure it, the long side of it fits just about perfectly across the back. The short side is a little too long with the back seats up, so I just let it bend up when I raised the seats...it goes maybe 4 inches up the back of the seat.

I'm happy enough with this that my temporary stopgap may be permanent. Now I just have to decide whether to trim to the seat up size, or just let it bend up. The color actually even goes well with my base Fit's grey interior!

These mats were pretty cheap I think...I'd certainly check out if Costco still has them before spending bigger bucks...unless you NEED it to a semi-perfect fit for your fit.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Got my Hatchbag from Drs Foster and Smith. It was super easy to install (it clips in between the weather stripping and frame). It fits perfect and covers everything. I took my dogs to a creek after installing it and everything stayed dry and hair free., except some on the front seats. I ordered the PVC seat covers recommended on the forums (Clausio seat covers). I think vinyl seats are the only answer to keeping hair off, but this hatch bag I got is well worth it.

Trying to figure out how to upload pics from my phone to this thread....

Old 08-25-2012, 06:27 PM

Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Best Cargo Liner for dogs

I have a Canvasback cargo liner that I want to sell. I'm not allowed to post on the for sale forum at this time - maybe because I haven't been active for awhile.

The Canvasback is perfect for dogs because it covers the back of the rear seats (which catch a lot of dog hair on that factory fabric) and has a zipper for the 60/40 split. It is custom fitted for the 2009 Fit --- to current year. I purchased it for my 2010 Fit, but I soon afterward decided to get the Clazzico vinyl seat covers, and I can not use it with seat covers, as it attaches with velcro to the fabric on back of the rear seats.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 PM
What ever you decide on stay away from Lloyd brand mats. I have been trying to get one to off gas the very intense acrid toxic smell for over two weeks now by leaving it outside and it's barely made a difference.

I tried everything from soap and water to vanilla extract to deodorizing products and am convinced I am out the 80.00 it cost since I cannot put it in the car. In the future I will only buy a mat firsthand where you can observe the smell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what's the best cargo area cover?