2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Stats for Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Stats for Fit

Ok, ok, I know this isn't the most exciting stuff, but I thought it was interesting how well the Fit ranks among its competitors AND that it's classified as a "mini station wagon/minivan."

HLDI: Insurance losses by make and model

Old 09-21-2012, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Yep, it is interesting! Thanks for sharing. I note that moving up a class, also scoring well are two other wagons I think highly of: the Impreza and Mazda3.

I want to point out to my fellow FFers a key detail. The IIHS is looking at the question of safety from the perspective of, how much $ losses is the car likely to rack up for each type of insurance coverage. Why is this important to YOU, the reader? Because $ losses don't necessarily translate into safety, so if your primary concern in looking at these losses is, in fact, safety, just be aware that these ratings aren't really done from the perspective of, "how safe am I going to be in a crash."

As an insurance company, on the other hand, you care a lot about the fact that a Honda Fit is either a lot cheaper to repair after a crash than a Ferrari California, or just less likely to crash. These numbers incorporate both of those things. So you can imagine that a California is going to be way more expensive to insure.

However there are some safety-related things a consumer can look at in here, in particular the personal injury and medical payments numbers. Even though the insurance company is mostly concerned with the number of dollars it is going to have to pay for your medical bills, those $ probably correlate pretty well with how seriously injured you are.

Thanks for bearing with me during a long explanation! Can you tell I work in insurance? :P (Disclaimer: I do not and will not represent the views of any company in my comments).

Old 09-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Yep, it is interesting! Thanks for sharing. I note that moving up a class, also scoring well are two other wagons I think highly of: the Impreza and Mazda3.

I want to point out to my fellow FFers a key detail. The IIHS is looking at the question of safety from the perspective of, how much $ losses is the car likely to rack up for each type of insurance coverage. Why is this important to YOU, the reader? Because $ losses don't necessarily translate into safety, so if your primary concern in looking at these losses is, in fact, safety, just be aware that these ratings aren't really done from the perspective of, "how safe am I going to be in a crash."

As an insurance company, on the other hand, you care a lot about the fact that a Honda Fit is either a lot cheaper to repair after a crash than a Ferrari California, or just less likely to crash. These numbers incorporate both of those things. So you can imagine that a California is going to be way more expensive to insure.

However there are some safety-related things a consumer can look at in here, in particular the personal injury and medical payments numbers. Even though the insurance company is mostly concerned with the number of dollars it is going to have to pay for your medical bills, those $ probably correlate pretty well with how seriously injured you are.

Thanks for bearing with me during a long explanation! Can you tell I work in insurance? :P (Disclaimer: I do not and will not represent the views of any company in my comments).
Fujisawa, that's a most excellent summary - thanks for your clarification!