2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

HELP! - Door unlock failure to program unlock all doors

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Question HELP! - Door unlock failure to program unlock all doors

2009 Fit base Auto

I have the lock doors programed to default so that when I start driving they all lock. When I stop and turn off the ignition now it has the default setting where the drivers door unlocks but none of the others do.

I have tried over and over to program the unlock feature so that after turning the ignition off all the doors will unlock.

Here is the procedure I follow from the owner's manual:

To program the Ignition Switch Unlock mode: Unlocks the driver's door or all doors and tailgate when the ignition switch is moved out of the ON (II) position.
  1. Make sure the shift lever is in the Park (P) position (A/T vehicles).
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position, and make sure to
    close the driver's door.

3. On A/T vehicles, push and hold the
    brake pedal, then move the shift
    lever out of the Park (P) position.

4. Push and hold the rear of the
    master door lock switch on the
    driver's door. You will hear a click.
    Continue to hold the switch:

A. Until you hear another click
    (after about 5 seconds) to
    activate driver's door unlock
    feature.

B. Or, until you hear two more
    clicks (after about 10 seconds)
    to activate all doors and tailgate
    unlock feature.

5. Release the switch, and within 5
    seconds, turn the ignition switch to
    the ACCESSORY (I) position. On
    A/T vehicles, move the shift lever to
    the Park (P) position.

6. Turn the ignition switch to the
    LOCK (0) position.
I followed this exactly each time and waited until I head the two extra clicks in step 4b. It doesn't work for me.. maybe I'm missing something in the steps that is unclear? Any one else had trouble getting this to work?

Thanks,

Last edited by doane2u; 03-03-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Worked fine for me. Try writing down the instructions in steps that make sense when you execute the same from your car. Also there's a huge thread on the subject with individuals' experiences that used to be stickied. There may be some anecdotes there that are helpful. link

Worst case you can pull in the Honda service dept and sweet talk a service rep into programming it. They shouldn't charge for this.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Fixed

OK, tried it again this afternoon... it wasn't the sequence I was messing up, it was how fast I was turning the key off after the last two clicks. It's fixed, so now when I start driving at about 10mph all the doors lock and when I stop driving and and turn off the ignition all the doors unlock.

Strange:

My physical paper manual for my 2009 has no indication that this unlock all doors program is possible nor does it have any instructions for it. It only has programing steps to unlock the drivers door. But the online manual from Toyota USA has the instructions I pasted in up above and they do work.

Thanks for trying to help, Steve, and the link.. I had searched and didn't find that.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
It's fixed, so now when I start driving at about 10mph all the doors lock and when I stop driving and and turn off the ignition all the doors unlock.
It should be when you put the car in park, the doors unlock. No need to turn the car off or take the keys out- unless that's what you programmed...and I never heard of that program. I like the all lock/unlock program. The only time it can be a pain is if you come to a stop without putting it into park and your passengers want to exit. Then you have to manually unlock for all. And impatient f'ers always try and get out before I unlock. Meh.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
It should be when you put the car in park, the doors unlock. No need to turn the car off or take the keys out- unless that's what you programmed...and I never heard of that program. I like the all lock/unlock program. The only time it can be a pain is if you come to a stop without putting it into park and your passengers want to exit. Then you have to manually unlock for all. And impatient f'ers always try and get out before I unlock. Meh.
You never heard of it? That's because it isn't in the physical paper manual? I just quoted, copied and pasted it from the online pdf above in the first post:
"To program the Ignition Switch Unlock mode: Unlocks the driver's door or all doors and tailgate when the ignition switch is moved out of the ON (II) position."

Like I said, it isn't in my physical paper manual, but it is in the online pdf from Honda on the Honda USA site. And you do have the option of having it unlock all doors when placed in park or when the ignition is turned off (accessory number 1 position)which is the one I prefer.
Here is the copy and paste from the pdf for my 2009 Fit explaining the 5 unlocking programs that are possible(I like the last choice):

"Auto Door Unlocking
The auto door unlocking feature has five possible settings:
● The auto door unlocking is
deactivated all the time.
● On A/T vehicles, the driver's door
unlocks when you move the shift
lever to the Park (P) position.
This is the default setting.
● All doors and tailgate unlock when
you move the shift lever to the
Park (P) position (A/T vehicles).
● The driver's door unlocks
whenever you turn the ignition
switch to the ACCESSORY (I)
position.
This is the default setting on M/T
vehicles.
● All doors and tailgate unlock
whenever you turn the ignition
switch to the ACCESSORY (I)
position."

Old 03-04-2013, 12:52 PM
For 2013 (and maybe some years earlier), the instructions for this programming are not only in the paper manual, but also the "quick reference". I do note that the sequence for our 2013 is different from what is described in this thread.