2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you own a Chinese made fit, you should read this.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gold-civic
I do not think that the steel is bad.
They put not enough paint on the car, so they can save money.

all hondas seem to have thin paint these days so the chinese paint must be really really thin

Old 03-10-2013, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
I have a lot of experience outsourcing metalwork to China, (an unfortunate requirement of my job). It's probably not the paint thickness but most likely the quality of the pre-plated steel, or their process control in applying the primer.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
I agree on the manufacturers using thin paint. When I was still working at Honda, most of the techs said that the paint they use on new cars are crappy/thinner. Not only for Honda, but for the other manufacturers as well.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Isn't that something to do with new regulations on paint? Something about having to be water-based now.

Doesn't really explain why the Japanese ones don't rust though

Old 03-12-2013, 02:46 PM
So what happened to Honda quality control? Haven't they been telling everyone that it doesn't matter where it is built? A Honda is a Honda...well, I guess not anymore.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wow this reminds me of the door rail rust problem on coopers back in the day...

Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wetphoto
So what happened to Honda quality control? Haven't they been telling everyone that it doesn't matter where it is built? A Honda is a Honda...well, I guess not anymore.
I have to agree with you. They've been building the Fit/Jazz in China since 2005 or 2006. How on earth it is possible that rust can be occurring in this spot after so many years of production? There's absolutely no excuse and it reflects very poorly upon Honda.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spitfire
I have to agree with you. They've been building the Fit/Jazz in China since 2005 or 2006. How on earth it is possible that rust can be occurring in this spot after so many years of production? There's absolutely no excuse and it reflects very poorly upon Honda.
have to remember the assembly plants might be honda, but the suppliers are local chinese.

with growning tensions between china and japan, i would not trust buying a japanese branded car made in china.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
have to remember the assembly plants might be honda, but the suppliers are local chinese.

with growning tensions between china and japan, i would not trust buying a japanese branded car made in china.

But still...Honda's quality control, which should include suppliers quality verifications, appears lacking.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
I doubt this is something that's going to be hugely apparent upon initial assembly of the car.

But we get it, wetphoto knows infinitely more than Honda and that's why he's trolling a Fit board after selling the car.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
I doubt this is something that's going to be hugely apparent upon initial assembly of the car.

But we get it, wetphoto knows infinitely more than Honda and that's why he's trolling a Fit board after selling the car.
Obviously, I know more about car building than you, since I worked at one of the Big 3 for years. I don't, however, go around making excuses for any company where things are slipping. I do not have a shrine where I worship the big H, regardless of the truth. If you knew anything about assembly, and quality control, you would know that they could test parts at random, and when a problem shows up, like rust, find the cause immediately.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Obviously, I know more about car building than you, since I worked at one of the Big 3 for years. I don't, however, go around making excuses for any company where things are slipping. I do not have a shrine where I worship the big H, regardless of the truth. If you knew anything about assembly, and quality control, you would know that they could test parts at random, and when a problem shows up, like rust, find the cause immediately.
Wow. Kudos.

They're going to test the car for a few months at random? Sounds entirely plausible and cost efficient. I'm sure one of the big three did the same while you worked for them, you know while they were the masters of shoddy manufacture.

I'm not posting again, you can continue to take this off-topic as you do every time you post, because you hate Hondas/your old Fit and yet can't leave the message board.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Wow. Kudos.

They're going to test the car for a few months at random? Sounds entirely plausible and cost efficient. I'm sure one of the big three did the same while you worked for them, you know while they were the masters of shoddy manufacture.

I'm not posting again, you can continue to take this off-topic as you do every time you post, because you hate Hondas/your old Fit and yet can't leave the message board.
Since you know nothing about this, I will educate you. The completed cars are tested as units at random. Parts, all of them, are tested at random before assembly. Those not making the grade are rejected, and corrective measures are taken immediately. It would appear that Honda slipped up in some of these areas. The next time you light candles and recite your morning and evening prayers to the H, you might want to keep it in mind.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Australia finds asbestos in Chinese-built cars, prompts recall

China's product safety reputation took another hit today, as the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission announced a recall of 23,000 Chinese vehicles made by Great Wall and Chery. The vehicles have engine and exhaust gaskets that contain asbestos, a known carcinogen that is prohibited in Australia. Both manufacturers have been directed to stop selling the affected vehicles, and owners have been warned not to perform any do-it-yourself repairs that involve the problem gaskets.

The recall raises questions about Chinese automakers plans to increase exports, not only to Australia but Europe and potentially even the United States. Yet a spokesman for Great Wall told Bloomberg that the recall "won't have much impact on our export and overseas expansion plans."

How the asbestos-containing parts came to be used in the Australian cars is unclear, but a Chery spokesman told the news agency that the automaker made a mistake, building the cars with a batch of parts that were not intended for use in export cars. But an Australian public affairs official indicated that the recall affects a majority of the vehicles the two Chinese automakers have imported.

Great Wall began exporting vehicles to Australia in 2009 and Chery followed in 2011, according to the report. Combined, they sold just over 17,000 vehicles in Australia between 2010-2011. Models affected by the recall include the Great Wall SA220, V240, X240, V200 and X200 (pictured), as well as the Chery J11 and J3.

Funny how they said not intended for export.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Check the bottom of your front car seats seems that BMW was getting their seats from China and was developing rust.

BMW 3 Series (F30) seat rust issue causes owner to destroy car in protest! - BMW 3-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743476

Last edited by cjecpa; 03-12-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
I just picked up my new white 2012 Fit Sport manual last week. Manufacturer date is 5/12. Will have to check this out

Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cjecpa
that's some expensive rust

Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moniz
I just picked up my new white 2012 Fit Sport manual last week. Manufacturer date is 5/12. Will have to check this out
Let us know if you find anything. It'd be interesting to see how widespread this problem is on our side of the pond.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
If you knew anything about assembly, and quality control, you would know that these things happen all over the world at other brands too.
fixed.

10char

Old 03-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Do they sell China-made Fits in the USA? How can you identify one, VIN?

I am glad I got my Fit before they moved production from Japan to Mexico. Wonder what kind of quality the '14s will have coming out of a new plant...

Quick Reply: If you own a Chinese made fit, you should read this.