2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuse replacement tip

Old 06-13-2013, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Fuse replacement tip

Easier fuse replacement.
I blew the horn fuse while playing with an air horn.
I didn't have any micro blade fuses that the fuse box uses, but I found that the mini blade fuse, I had, fit just fine. They stick out further, which will make replacement easier. I may replace all the fuses with the larger mini fuses.
Got a 120 pc, assortment of the mini fuses, on Ebay, for $5.09 delivered!
Now to find an easy way to get the micro fuses out easily!

Old 06-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Cosigned. I use those fuses as well because I had them laying around and they work just fine.

There's a fuse puller on the box to get the other ones out apparently, I just used small needle nose.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
I found the "fuse puller" on the box to be useless. I used needle nose as well.
Think I will keep a small pair, in the car, with the extra fuses.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:38 AM
In case you didn't know, always use a relay when installing an air horn. They pull too much juice and can fry your wiring.

Don't you think the mini fuse is only easier to replace because it sticks out farther than the micro fuses? If you change them all to minis then they will then all be the same height and back to square one (cant grab a single fuse with fingers)?

Use the puller. If done right it is not hard to use. And fuse replacement will be once every 10-15 years if ever so I wouldn't spend even the $5 and time to replace them all.

_

Old 06-15-2013, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
The air horn compressor can't fry the wiring. That's what the fuse is for.
The supplied fuse puller didn't work for me.
The top of the orig, buses are flush with the panel, where as the larger fuses stick out from it, making them much easier to remove.
I thought about the likelyhood of having to replace fuses in the future, and decided not to replace them all. Just as needed. It would be a royal pia to get them all out. At least for me.
If they were all replaced, they would be easier to remove, as they stick up and be easier to get a tool or pliers on them. Or fingers. You can't grab the orig fuses with fingers, because they are flush with the panel.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by over40pirate
The air horn compressor can't fry the wiring. That's what the fuse is for.
This is not true. Fuse and wiring is rated for the stock beep beep not the draw from an air horn. Fuse will eventually blow yes but not always before damage might occur to the wiring and switches. Do at your own risk but please don't advise others to do this as it is not safe.

_

Old 06-15-2013, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
This is not true. Fuse and wiring is rated for the stock beep beep not the draw from an air horn. Fuse will eventually blow yes but not always before damage might occur to the wiring and switches. Do at your own risk but please don't advise others to do this as it is not safe.

_

So, you are saying that the wiring will fry before the fuse blows!
What exactly do you think the fuses are for?
Hint: It has do do with the wiring!

Old 06-15-2013, 02:32 PM
So, you are saying that the wiring will fry before the fuse blows!
What exactly do you think the fuses are for?
Hint: It has do do with the wiring!
Yes it can in some cases when you overpower wires with current it was not designed and/or rated for. The fuse doesn't always blow instantaneously, you are getting higher than desirable current over the wires before it does. Fuses are sized for catastrophic events, otherwise they would be blowing too often. Say your stock horn pulls 1amp max but it is fused for 5amps. That doesn't mean the wiring is rated for 5amps continuous. But your air horn might pull 4-5amps continuous and can cause damage before the fuse eventually blows.

Would you stick a metal screwdriver into a 110V wall outlet to short it out trusting that the GFIC would trip before you were electrocuted? Similar logic applies.

_

Old 06-15-2013, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Yes it can in some cases when you overpower wires with current it was not designed and/or rated for. The fuse doesn't always blow instantaneously, you are getting higher than desirable current over the wires before it does. Fuses are sized for catastrophic events, otherwise they would be blowing too often. Say your stock horn pulls 1amp max but it is fused for 5amps. That doesn't mean the wiring is rated for 5amps continuous. But your air horn might pull 4-5amps continuous and can cause damage before the fuse eventually blows.

Would you stick a metal screwdriver into a 110V wall outlet to short it out trusting that the GFIC would trip before you were electrocuted? Similar logic applies._
Believe what you want.

I wouldn't put a screwdriver in a wall socket, but I would plug an appliance that draws 25 amps into a wall socket, that is protected by a 15 amp fuse. The fuse will blow to PROTECT THE WIRING

I believe the horn wire on a Fit is 18 Gauge. For the length of wire involved, it would easily carry 15+ amps. There is no way a 10 amp fuse (Fits horn fuse size) will not blow, with that current.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Hi, i am bit stuck to find an ABS relay or fuse in honda jazz automatic 2011 model, could anyone plz help me ?

Old 08-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Smile 2011 Fuse problem

Recently looked for the fuse for the tail/parking lights and couldn't find it in owners manual. This site did help me find the fuse cover and puller under the dash. Wound up at a dealers who didn't know which fuse it was either, but made a guess of two fuses to try. It seems the tail/parking lights are called small lights in the manual. I replaced the micro fuse with a lighted (lights if fuse blows) mini fuse -- so if it blows again it will be real easy to find.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Believe what you want.

I wouldn't put a screwdriver in a wall socket, but I would plug an appliance that draws 25 amps into a wall socket, that is protected by a 15 amp fuse. The fuse will blow to PROTECT THE WIRING

I believe the horn wire on a Fit is 18 Gauge. For the length of wire involved, it would easily carry 15+ amps. There is no way a 10 amp fuse (Fits horn fuse size) will not blow, with that current.
In the Pathfinder that I drove before buying the Fit, I had wire burn itself out. A supposedly fuse protected wire.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
In regards to using a relay with an air horn compressor, I believe the Fit ships with an OEM horn relay in place.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
watch out for those low-end fuses as the terminals can physically separate from the plastic housing of the fuse itself.

and who knows how accurate those fuse ratings are... spend a little extra and get real fuses.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
watch out for those low-end fuses as the terminals can physically separate from the plastic housing of the fuse itself.

and who knows how accurate those fuse ratings are... spend a little extra and get real fuses.
Or, Do what I did the last time I had to go to a Junk Yard for Honda Parts... Pull the fuses out of the fusebox on another Honda and you are all set. Junk yard didn't want any $$ for the fuses

FREE OEM FUSES

~SB

Old 08-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
lol'ed at going to junk yard for fuses. clever.

no junk yards in my area.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 AM
Banned
LOL on the NON-PC junkyard term. Don't you know the nanny state now wants them referred to as auto recycling stations.

ps: I still use junkyard LOL.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:30 PM
different fuse isnt problem unless you change amps. i hate the tiny tiny fuses, its like a big f u to fat fingered folk

Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sir_Greek
different fuse isnt problem unless you change amps. i hate the tiny tiny fuses, its like a big f u to fat fingered folk
I'm thinking that's exactly what the intent was

I use the fuse puller with zero issues. All of the cars I've had in the last 10 years have had these small fuses with the same fuse puller and it isn't rocket science. The only time I use the slightly larger ones is when I used an Add-a-fuse to hardwire my Valentine1 radar.

~SB

Old 09-01-2013, 09:05 PM
I think I'd rather pay the couple of bucks for fuses rather than get one from a car that's been in an accident and may have a hairline crack in it, so that it fails at an inopportune time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuse replacement tip