2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Tires Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Snow Tires Questions

Hi everybody,

I'm starting to look at snow tires for my 2013 Base fit, and have decided on the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70s, which i found on tire buyer for $303 (using a $30 discount code).

My question has to do with the TPMS sensor.

If I get these tires and have them mounted on my stock rims (not at the dealer), will the TPMS sensor cooperate? Do I need to have them mounted at the dealers to keep the TPMS light off?

My other though is get 4 steel rims for $200 total and tape over the TPMS light all winter. When I put the stock tires and rims back on, will the TPMS light go off, or do i need to take it to the dealer?

Over all, what is going to be the cheapest route to go?

I'd be very grateful for any information i could get on the matter.

Thanks,
Baron

Old 10-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you will have to mount the factory TPMS sensors in your new winter wheel set in order for the TPMS light to go off, or buy new TPMS sensors dedicated to your winter set. (on the '12 and '13, you wont be able to turn-off traction control while TPMS error light is lit in the cluster).

with WS70's (good choice) your car will most likely not get stuck in snow requring you to need to shut-off traction control. that said, i would just run the winter set without TPMS and just ignore the error light in the cluster. it will turn off next time you put your stock wheels back on.

it's really up to you. your local tires store can get you new TPMS sensors in your winter set, but it will need to be paired to your car. the car can only store one wheel set, so you will have to re-pair it (for a fee) come spring time when you put your factory wheel set back on your car.

some folks bought a device enabling you to pair it at home with your pc. i think it was FitStir that had this. for me, i dont run TPMS in my summer set. i run TPMS in my winter set as i hate traction control and turn it off most of the time.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mandobaron
If I get these tires and have them mounted on my stock rims (not at the dealer), will the TPMS sensor cooperate? Do I need to have them mounted at the dealers to keep the TPMS light off?
As long as you mount the tires on the same wheels that came with the car (technically speaking - the same TPMS sensors programmed to the car), and the tire shop mechanics don't damage the sensors, your "TPMS will cooperate" so to speak.
This will allow you to turn off VSA (if your car's equipped with that) in the snow for instances when you get stuck or need to rock your car out.

Over all, what is going to be the cheapest route to go?
This
Originally Posted by kenchan
.... dont run TPMS in my summer set. i run TPMS in my winter set as i hate traction control ...

If you want to do it "properly" you need a set of TPMS sensors for each wheel set you have, you can then program the car with the sensor ID's by using an ATEQ Quickset tool.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Great, thanks for the info! To make sure it is all coming into my brain correctly...

I should get the Blizzak WS-70s, mount them on my stock wheels, and mount my summer tires on a set of cheap steel wheels.

This allows me to disable VSA in the winter, and put a sticker over the TPMS sensor light in the summer. Or will the TPMS light stay on even when I put my winter wheels back on unless i go to the dealership?

Also, is 330 a good price for a set of WS70s, and is 220 a good price for a set of these guys?

Pacer 83B Black Mod - Free Shipping | TireBuyer.com

Thanks for all the help!
Baron

Old 10-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Also, looks like they've got "NITTO - NT-SN2 Winter" tires for 280 a set. Anyone have thoughs on these?

Thanks,
Baron

Old 10-10-2013, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
....I should get the Blizzak WS-70s, mount them on my stock wheels, and mount my summer tires on a set of cheap steel wheels.

This allows me to disable VSA in the winter, and put a sticker over the TPMS sensor light in the summer. FULL STOP
Yes.

As for different snow tires (you really should search... there's dozens of threads discussing snow tires, tpms, vsa, etc), maybe some one else can help. I don't use a dedicated snow set, since we don't get that much regular snow here to warrant that, plus they clean the roads relatively quickly even if we do get some major accumulation. Been on Continental DWS tires for 2 winters with no major problems.