2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Momentary loss of power under load?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
That's not a lot. And I think carbon fouling would look different even if it were using a lot of oil. You had the plugs out so I'm guessing these looked clean.

I don't know enough about the chemistry to know the effects of leaded/bad fuel; I don't think it would cause a blockage.

It's possible to bench test the sensors but this would be expensive. Exhaust analysis would be the first thing to check if you're curious. If fuel consumption and performance in general is ok I wouldn't worry about it.
I put new plugs in, here is a pic of the old ones.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:11 AM
My consumption according to the dash display is 8L/100km not sure how to convert to MPG, it went up to 10L/100Km in the last month with the problems, all my driving is on town roads and not freeway, and I have a bit of a heavy foot.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
using this handy chart, they look ok. 8L/100km is 29.4 MPusG which is right on the money for city driving. Pretty good actually. 10L/100KM is 23.5 which is low.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Thanks, that's good to know

Old 03-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Nope. Those plugs look like they got cooked really good!

I definitely am glad you changed plugs, those look like they would crumble apart within the next dozen or so thousand miles

Cant always look only at the electrode! Look at the threads and the washers!

Old 04-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Update: I have now found that the second cat had not come apart, but the first cat is breaking up, and these pieces landed on the second cat and melted... and blocked the second cat. Locally (South Africa) to replace the first cat - header is over US$1100
I have seen a number of threads about headers in the US the T1R response header at US$350 and the Weapon R header at US$350.

I have been looking locally for a header, but all the exhaust shops refer me to Honda they will not even look into it.

I am now considering getting them from the US, my questions are, which do you think is the best value, remember I am not trying to get the best performing Fit, I just want to get the Fit working 100% cheaply, it looks like the weapon R comes with both the first cat header replacement and the second part as well. I have mailed them to find out what the shipping cost will be.

At the moment I am using the ELM327 Mini with the Torque Pro app and am getting no error codes.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
They are using the term "header" very liberally. The exhaust manifold is internal in the engine. There is a single opening for the downpipe to the first cat. Someone should make a bypass pipe for this less than $350. It's not like it's a 4 pipe header.

Here's one for $165 plus shipping

Someone else here may have a better alternative.

I'm still curious what killed the cats.

13Fit thinks you may be running lean (hot). This could be. I haven't pulled the plugs out of any long life application to have personal experience. A poorly functioning o2 sensor could cause this.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:27 PM
They are using the term "header" very liberally. The exhaust manifold is internal in the engine. There is a single opening for the downpipe to the first cat. Someone should make a bypass pipe for this less than $350. It's not like it's a 4 pipe header.

Here's one for $165 plus shipping

Someone else here may have a better alternative.

I'm still curious what killed the cats.

13Fit thinks you may be running lean (hot). This could be. I haven't pulled the plugs out of any long life application to have personal experience. A poorly functioning o2 sensor could cause this.
That one for $165 is the part that would replace the second cat piece, the weapon R has the first and second part for $350 Here

Old 04-04-2014, 02:47 PM
I can only recommend the T1R "header" after having to deal with the bullcrap that is WeaponR.

Issues I had with my WeaponR header:

--EGR spout was so out of place I had to remove the EGR tube, heat it up with a torch, and flex it to a suitable position

--No EGR gasket OR bolts and nuts to connect to the WeaponR EGR spout.

--No 3 bolt catback flange gasket, no nuts or bolts.

--The donut gasket included is of crappy quality, and you have to damn near crush the springs on the flange bolts for it to seal properly. Would be better off using 2 long botls with two nuts per bolt to keep it tight

No body seems to be having ANY sort of issues with the T1R piece. T1R did a proper R&D on fitment and quality standards.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think so, (could be wrong).

Here's the parts callout for an 09 USDM Fit (part one lists for $695US):

The downpipe I linked above (picture below) looks like the proper replacement for the first cat and the pipe from the engine opening.

I'll have a look at the shop manual when I get home, but I think these are the same thing, the initial downpipe from the engine.

nevermind: you're right. here's the first cat and the "header" This lists for $818. (it also provides the EGR opening).

Last edited by Steve244; 04-04-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:05 PM
I don't think so, (could be wrong).

Here's the parts callout for an 09 USDM Fit (part one lists for $695US):

The downpipe I linked above (picture below) looks like the proper replacement for the first cat and the pipe from the engine opening.

I'll have a look at the shop manual when I get home, but I think these are the same thing, the initial downpipe from the engine.
Have a look at this T1R the large flange, 4 bolts, connects to the head
The part in the pic you have has a flange with 2 bolts and one with 3 bolts, this part on my car has 2 bolt on both sides, mine matches up to the Weapon R here

Old 04-04-2014, 03:21 PM
This is the T1R

and the Weapon R

the part at the bottom is the header, and the top part looks like the pic of the part Steve244 that you posted, but yours has a 3 bolt flange, which will not fit on my car
here is a pic of it fitted

Look at the flange that connects to the head, 4 bolts and the one at the bottom has a 2 bolt flange

It looks like the T1R wont work on my Fit both the flanges are wrong

Old 04-04-2014, 04:53 PM
That piece above that is listed for $165 is for the GD fits. Look at the curve. While similar, the GD secondary does not match up to the GE secondary

Old 04-04-2014, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Brian and 13, you're right. I updated my post above. The pipe I was looking at is beyond the first cat (and may be for GDs).

I don't see any less expensive solutions.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Poor fuel. I can bet south Africa does not add detergents and have as clean fuel as we do in the US. The EPA is strict here in the US, so we are pretty lucky here in the states to have "good" fuel. Bad fuel can do tons of bad things to our sensors, cat's, etc.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by BrianKearsey
When we got it out it looked like it had come apart and melted on the engine side, the other side the honeycomb structure looked perfect, and holding it up to the light you could not see any light through it.

On the engine side the inside of the pipe was white, he said it was running lean to compensate for the blockage, on the back inside it was black. He also said the ECM will reset itself now there is no blockage.
Funny the guys that did the diag said everything was 100% normal that should include fuel/air ratios?
Did you go back to the original dealer to show them there was INDEED something wrong? Then tell them you're reporting them for making you go to another dealer for a successful plan B. While on that call give the 2nd dealer praises for going a little further in the name of good customer service.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
Did you go back to the original dealer to show them there was INDEED something wrong? Then tell them you're reporting them for making you go to another dealer for a successful plan B. While on that call give the 2nd dealer praises for going a little further in the name of good customer service.
I did complain to the first dealer, and sent a complaint to Honda SA as well and have not, even had an acknowledgement back from either. I have also praised the second dealer on various forums and also had no response. The problem in this country is that bad service and un-helpfulness is almost a norm, as I said earlier in the thread that all the exhaust places, even the so called performance ones attitude is they don't make a part for the Fit go to the dealer, not one even wanted to have a look under the hood or car to see if they could do something.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Another cheaper suggestion is to cut open the original header and remove the cat, and weld it back up, but I wonder if there would be flow issues

Old 04-05-2014, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
They may be made from kryptonite. Cutting could be difficult. Welding too. I don't know if I were an exhaust shop if I would attempt it for less than the cost of the aftermarket cat-bypass header.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:46 PM
I have heard Honda gives a lifetime warrantee on the cats, Here in SA the dealers say only 100 000Km / 3 year, can you guys all over the world give me info so I have ammo to fight with Honda SA

Quick Reply: Momentary loss of power under load?