2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Getting a Fit soon! What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 AM
Getting a Fit soon! What do you guys think?

Alright guys, first off let me say that this forum has been a huge help in solidifying my want for the Fit. I think that such a passionate community behind this car really shows that it's a great buy.

So, on Thursday I'm going to be looking at a Tidewater Blue 2009 Honda Fit Sport (automatic) with 70k miles. The asking price is $10,900 and I'm planning on giving an initial offer of $9,500, with the hope of keeping it under $10,000 in the end. I'll be giving a small down payment and I should be getting around $1,000 for my trade (2001 Saturn that just needs to go, still runs though). This should keep my monthly payments below $200, which is what I'm hoping for. I'm a college student with a part time job, so I don't have a ton of flexibility on the monthly payments. What do you guys think? Is this a good deal for a 2009 Fit? Is there anything specific I should watch out for when doing the inspection or test drive? From the sounds of it, a Fit with 70k miles has tons of life left in it if it's well kept, which I plan on doing. The listing says it had one previous owner and no accidents or damage or anything like that. Oh yeah, and I'm in the mid-western United States.

The only thing that is making me pause is another Fit that is listed in my area, although it's a bit more expensive... and I think I should be considering it out of my price range as a student working part-time. That's a Revolution Orange 2011 Fit Sport (automatic) with around 30k miles, listed for $12,995. I don't think I would be able to get my monthly payments close enough to $200, but it still sounds like a good deal. This one was previously listed at $13,995 and they recently lowered it.

What do you guys think? The 2009 should be fine, right? Should I not be stressing about the 2011 option?

Thank you!!

Old 04-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by hmmatt
Alright guys, first off let me say that this forum has been a huge help in solidifying my want for the Fit. I think that such a passionate community behind this car really shows that it's a great buy.

So, on Thursday I'm going to be looking at a Tidewater Blue 2009 Honda Fit Sport (automatic) with 70k miles. The asking price is $10,900 and I'm planning on giving an initial offer of $9,500, with the hope of keeping it under $10,000 in the end. I'll be giving a small down payment and I should be getting around $1,000 for my trade (2001 Saturn that just needs to go, still runs though). This should keep my monthly payments below $200, which is what I'm hoping for. I'm a college student with a part time job, so I don't have a ton of flexibility on the monthly payments. What do you guys think? Is this a good deal for a 2009 Fit? Is there anything specific I should watch out for when doing the inspection or test drive? From the sounds of it, a Fit with 70k miles has tons of life left in it if it's well kept, which I plan on doing. The listing says it had one previous owner and no accidents or damage or anything like that. Oh yeah, and I'm in the mid-western United States.

The only thing that is making me pause is another Fit that is listed in my area, although it's a bit more expensive... and I think I should be considering it out of my price range as a student working part-time. That's a Revolution Orange 2011 Fit Sport (automatic) with around 30k miles, listed for $12,995. I don't think I would be able to get my monthly payments close enough to $200, but it still sounds like a good deal. This one was previously listed at $13,995 and they recently lowered it.

What do you guys think? The 2009 should be fine, right? Should I not be stressing about the 2011 option?

Thank you!!
Welcome... The 2011 is the same edition a 2009. Things don't change until 2012. Easiest way to see is wheels and bumper.

'09-'11

'12-'13

Other things different from 2 gen ('09-'11) & 2.5 ('12'-13') gen is the 2.5 gen got thicker glass up front and the navi becomes 16gb flash memory in 2.5 gen. 2gen is dvd.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
[QUOTE=hmmatt;1230105]...What do you guys think? The 2009 should be fine, right? Should I not be stressing about the 2011 option?.../QUOTE]

Here's my take.
Focus on the 2009 cause that's what you can comfortably afford. Outside that comfort zone, you'll be creating stress in part of your life. You want to enjoy driving her around, not worrying about the payments.
Next, get the seller to at least provide you with a CarFax report. This will give you some level of assurance - no hidden surprises.
For the price, +/- $10,000, its definitely in the ballpark. Once you get your FIt don't forget to post pics.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 04-01-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Desmond-

That's really helpful! I was unaware that the 2009 and 2012 were actually different, thank you! Since the 2009 is so close to the 2011, I think I will definitely be leaning more towards the 2009.

ROTTBOY-

That's excellent advice, I really don't want it to be stressing me out. I will for sure get a CarFax report out of them, I definitely need some more information about the car, seeing as it's 5 years old now... although not that old for a Honda. But, a lot can happen in 5 years. And I will for sure post pics! I'm sure I'll be asking some more questions too... hah.

Thank you so much, guys!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by hmmatt
......seeing as it's 5 years old now......
hmmtt, my '08 has double the mileage of the car your looking at. Am the only owner and never had a single thing go wrong with it. I have addressed only the wearable items. Tires, Fluids, plugs, filters, belts, brake pads/rotors. That's about it. Even my battery is original!!!
If the seller is private, spend the extra to have the mechnicals looked over by a reputable shop. Good luck and happy shopping.

BTW, wereabouts are you in Ohio. Was at OU in Athens for college. That was party-time galore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 04-01-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
hmmtt, my '08 has double the mileage of the car your looking at. Am the only owner and never had a single thing go wrong with it. I have addressed only the wearable items. Tires, Fluids, brake pads/rotors. That's about it. Even my battery is original!!!
If the seller is private, spend the extra to have the mechnicals looked over by a reputable shop. Good luck and happy shopping.

BTW, wereabouts are you in Ohio. Was at OU in Athens for college. That was party-time galore!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm up near Cleveland. But yeah, I've had a lot of friends that went to OU and they always talk about how it is an awesome party town. I've been meaning to visit for years, I've just never made it down there! It seems that everyone that goes there LOVES it!

Old 04-01-2014, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmatt,

Shouldn't be any real reason not to go with the 2009 (mine's doing just fine, thank you, with a bit over 43K miles).

Just be sure to check that the "Lost Motion Spring" recall was taken care of. If it wasn't, then insist that it does get done before delivery.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by 4thCornerFit
Hmmatt,

Shouldn't be any real reason not to go with the 2009 (mine's doing just fine, thank you, with a bit over 43K miles).

Just be sure to check that the "Lost Motion Spring" recall was taken care of. If it wasn't, then insist that it does get done before delivery.
Hey 4thCorner Fit, thanks for the info! Good to know that your 2009 is running strong. Do you know if there are any maintenance suggestions around 70k miles? From what I've heard, the scheduled maintenance on Hondas is pretty minimal, which is awesome.

I will definitely ask about the lost motion spring recall, thanks for letting me know about that! Definitely something I had no idea about.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
My 2009 Fit Sport Manual has been nearly perfect, like almost everyone else's. Your price seems high for a private sale, perhaps good for a dealer sale. Take a look at the tires. The first set would not have gone over 40K so 2nd set may be almost finished. If so, ask the dealer for new tires or take $500 off the price you would otherwise pay. Also, look at the front brakes. If they have never been done, they will be due soon and that is around $400 for pads and rotors. Make sure you get a decent warranty from the dealer. One big difference between the 2009 and the 2011 is the 2011 might have something left on the factory power train warranty. The 2009 does not.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Go on auto trader and see if any dealers say w/i 50mi from your zip. Keep us posted. We're all here to help make our site bigger one member at a time.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:43 AM
1) fit is slow, so if you want a fast car, you will not necessarily enjoy it.
2) fit is one of the LIGHTEST cars on the market
3) fit is nimble, just like FWD miata
4) fit is cheap
5) fit is reliable, durable, it can stay at 6700 RPM ALL DAY LONG and will probably will never break lol
6) it survived the harsh Michigan winter on a set of Blizzaks WS70 very well!
7) fit practical, fit is spacious and it is a hatchback
8) fit steering feels very communicative.
9) fit is fun too, slow fun though
10) fit has good MPG

But boy it is slow lol