2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to add value to the car ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
nothing added on gives you any value at resale. Even if you add positive "performance" mods it decreases your value; because buyers then are wary that you have been racing your car. You are better off taking off your mods, selling your car stock, and then trying to sell your mods back.

Perhaps at best, you invest in protection type mods such as washes and wax, a car cover, mats and liners, or other to preserve value; but nothing will add value.

Even straight off the lot with 500miles, people would value a new stock car more versus your 500mile car+mods.
ah, that's well said. mostly, mods won't add value. the best way is to sell it stock.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Miss_Diana
On another topic for a sec: you say you have the same year, so let me ask you something: Is the suspension in your car stiff? Is it the way the Fit Sport is made, or is it MY car? I feel every pothole and bump!
I only test drove one other Fit at a different car dealer and it wasnt a sport. A would say I felt bumps in both of them. Its not exactly a luxury suspension.

I did notice my suspension got noticably worse after the bad winter we had and all of the potholes ive hit. It was brutal and the potholes are still all around but not nearly as bad as in mid winter.

Also, the sport has the 16" wheels with a slightly lower profile tire and that means a smaller sidewall and less cushion over a bump.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
I've never owned anything big and floaty, but I would say Fit suspension is a decent compromise between comfort and a sporty feel. Its also a little better with a load in the hatch. Not too much though. 100-ish lbs of flooring in the back made it smoother.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
nothing added on gives you any value at resale. Even if you add positive "performance" mods it decreases your value; because buyers then are wary that you have been racing your car. You are better off taking off your mods, selling your car stock, and then trying to sell your mods back.

Perhaps at best, you invest in protection type mods such as washes and wax, a car cover, mats and liners, or other to preserve value; but nothing will add value.

Even straight off the lot with 500miles, people would value a new stock car more versus your 500mile car+mods.

If you plan on trading it or selling it in the future, you might as well keep it stock.

If you don't really care and want to keep it for as long as possible (like I am), then do whatever you want to it.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
Low miles, mostly highway miles, a bra for the front to prevent chips (I just noticed my foglight is cracked), keep the paint maintained, keep interior perfect, regular servicing.

Whenever I see a car for sale that has aftermarket mods on it, I assume it has atleast had a couple of hits to the rev limiter to test aforementioned modifications. But that's just me.

I can also tell A LOT about someone just by looking at what kind of aftermarket wheels they have, lol.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Miss_Diana
I never knew that the dealers would prefer the car as base as possible.
No, as stock as possible.

When they're selling a Fit, they want to sell a Fit- not a Fit, except with...

Everything that you do to modify a car will become a nightmare when something has to be serviced so nobody is going to want anything to do with it. And yes, that includes oddball wheels: "I did a curb check and need a wheel. No, I don't know what kind."

If you're keeping it, value is whatever you like.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
There was a local guy who had a problem selling his 4 year old Civic Si because he put in an aftermarket double DIN CD player in it, amp, big speakers. You would think people would appreciate the upgrade, but it didn't fit the style of the interior. It took him a year to sell it.

BTW, when I bought my Fit the dealer didn't notice it had tinted windows, didn't know that NAV/VSA cost $2000 extra, and the rubber floor mats were a $148 accessory.

I agree with the above posts, keep it stock, keep it clean, stay on top of maintenance, door dings, nicks, and curb rash. Use Gunk engine cleaner on the engine compartment every year.

Things that won't hurt value: tinted windows, genuine Honda accessories, Weathertech floor mats or wind deflectors, stuff that can easily be undone.

If you have factory aluminum rims, start collecting few clean spares off of Craigslist. Once your car is over 5 years old, finding clean factory rims gets harder.