2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to add value to the car ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
How to add value to the car ???

So guys, now that I have my 2010 Fit Sport, let's discuss what's best to add and/or customize on it, that would add value to the car.

Ideas? I'm open to suggestions.

I do know I want to tint the windows, as long as that won't affect the extended warranty.

I also need wider visors, or an add-on if they make it, because when I have the visor to the side, the sun can still hit me in the eyes, even with sunglasses on.

They use to have extenders that came down past the visor and wider also.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:56 PM
tint, better tires, and a trailer hitch will add the most benefit and features to the car.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Administrator
Anything you modify will most likely not add any real value to the car since dealers want cars that are as stock as possible in the best condition

You can feel free to modify the car as you deem fit as and it won't void your warranty. For instance, if you had aftermarket wheels and your stock exhaust got a hole in it your warranty on the exhaust would not be void.

If your modified part caused the failure that would void the warranty for that specific part but not for everything else as well. This is a common misconception...

Just modify the car to suit your needs, tint and door visors is great for keeping the interior cooler and helping to preserve your parts which means you can retain a greater value at the time you want to trade the car in. I would also suggest seat covers, floor mats, all weather trunk mat, and the rear bumper garnish which helps to keep the rear bumper protected in case you brush up against it.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
An aftermarket trailer hitch will not add value to the Fit (at least in a dealership's perspective) since its not an OEM part and if for example someone were to attempt a warranty claim on vehicle rear shocks (and PROVE that it failed due to towing), Honda will not honor that claim. I've actually seen cars first hand that would have been "Honda Certified Used" get the boot for being equipped with an aftermarket trailer hitch (even if Honda designed the vehicle with towing in mind or not).

In your best interest, I'd recommend trying to go with Honda accessories as a best bet to customize/tailor your Fit to your liking along with maintaining (and/or possibly) increasing its value... Depending on what you install that is. Small things such as OEM window visors may not make a change in value to your Fit. More protective things such as rear bumper appliques, splash guard, trunk trays, etc, may have a slight influence. BUT major things like the Mugen accessory aero kit, grill, and wheels for example possibly (<---key word) could have a positive affect due to it being a fairly rare item/kit itself and again it is an OEM Honda accessory.

Now, on a similar note... if these items were installed as a package deal when you purchased the vehicle new, then the installed accessories would indeed increase the vehicle's resale value along with be covered under the 3 year/36k mile bumper to bumper warranty opposed to the typical 1 year/12k mile dealer install warranty.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by Waizzz
Anything you modify will most likely not add any real value to the car since dealers want cars that are as stock as possible in the best condition

You can feel free to modify the car as you deem fit as and it won't void your warranty. For instance, if you had aftermarket wheels and your stock exhaust got a hole in it your warranty on the exhaust would not be void.

If your modified part caused the failure that would void the warranty for that specific part but not for everything else as well. This is a common misconception...

Just modify the car to suit your needs, tint and door visors is great for keeping the interior cooler and helping to preserve your parts which means you can retain a greater value at the time you want to trade the car in. I would also suggest seat covers, floor mats, all weather trunk mat, and the rear bumper garnish which helps to keep the rear bumper protected in case you brush up against it.
This is why you add as much OEM accessories (Visor's, mood lighting, sport grill, etc) whether it be USDM/JDM. Then then HID's, upgrade all interior incandescent bulbs to LED'S. These thing if not add value will slow depreciation which is still a plus in my book.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:26 AM
When spending money on a vehicle it usually doesn't yield a positive return.

example: It would difficult to find anything you would spend $100 on and get more than a $100 in value added unless the true cost of the item added was greater than the $100 you initially spent.

Now, if value means the vehicle becomes more value to you because it can do something you would like it to do in exchange for what you spent, then yes, it is more valuable to you but probably not more valuable to anyone else by the time you eventually sell it.

Cars are usually not going to appreciate unless they are classic or collectible and your fit and mine, since I have the exact same year and model, are great daily drivers but neither are classic or collectible.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:11 AM
The only way to add any real value to any vehicle is not drive it, adding a trailer hitch to a Fit will only drop it's value because it can be interpreted that it was dragging around extra weight for who knows how long.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks so much for all the information guys!

When I used the word 'value', I guess I was referring to, if and when I decide to trade it in or sell it to a private individual, would there be additions that the car doesn't have now, that I could add, that would be an advantage to the new driver.

I was thinking maybe, navigation is a plus to many, the visors of course, nice floor mats, etc. etc. You know, like 'options' when buying new.

As for me, I definitely want the windows tinted, new mats, and visors.

Thanks again!

Old 04-06-2014, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
tint, better tires, and a trailer hitch will add the most benefit and features to the car.
Ah better tires! Never thoght of that. The tires on it now, are new, so perhaps when it's time to get new ones, I'll do just that.

I really don't want or need a hitch.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Waizzz

I never knew that the dealers would prefer the car as base as possible.

I actually didn't think that adding or modifying the car would void the warranty itself, I was thinking along the lines of it voiding the repairs on a specific 'part' of the car, as you explained.

Yes, I do want the visors and windows tinted for sure, I also looked at the all weather trunk mat, and I do like that.

About the rear bumper garnish, I'm not sure I understand, protecting what? The bumper of the car itself?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
An aftermarket trailer hitch will not add value to the Fit (at least in a dealership's perspective) since its not an OEM part and if for example someone were to attempt a warranty claim on vehicle rear shocks (and PROVE that it failed due to towing), Honda will not honor that claim. I've actually seen cars first hand that would have been "Honda Certified Used" get the boot for being equipped with an aftermarket trailer hitch (even if Honda designed the vehicle with towing in mind or not).

In your best interest, I'd recommend trying to go with Honda accessories as a best bet to customize/tailor your Fit to your liking along with maintaining (and/or possibly) increasing its value... Depending on what you install that is. Small things such as OEM window visors may not make a change in value to your Fit. More protective things such as rear bumper appliques, splash guard, trunk trays, etc, may have a slight influence. BUT major things like the Mugen accessory aero kit, grill, and wheels for example possibly (<---key word) could have a positive affect due to it being a fairly rare item/kit itself and again it is an OEM Honda accessory.

Now, on a similar note... if these items were installed as a package deal when you purchased the vehicle new, then the installed accessories would indeed increase the vehicle's resale value along with be covered under the 3 year/36k mile bumper to bumper warranty opposed to the typical 1 year/12k mile dealer install warranty.
Good information, thanks!

I'll check on the rear bumper appliques.

What exactly is the Mugen accessory aero kit, grill, and wheels? Is that made by Honda?

I do have the extended warranty, which can be passed on to a new owner.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
This is why you add as much OEM accessories (Visor's, mood lighting, sport grill, etc) whether it be USDM/JDM. Then then HID's, upgrade all interior incandescent bulbs to LED'S. These thing if not add value will slow depreciation which is still a plus in my book.
I have to learn all these abbreviations.

Never thought of changing the bulbs to LED, why is that important?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2010FitSport
When spending money on a vehicle it usually doesn't yield a positive return.

example: It would difficult to find anything you would spend $100 on and get more than a $100 in value added unless the true cost of the item added was greater than the $100 you initially spent.

Now, if value means the vehicle becomes more value to you because it can do something you would like it to do in exchange for what you spent, then yes, it is more valuable to you but probably not more valuable to anyone else by the time you eventually sell it.

Cars are usually not going to appreciate unless they are classic or collectible and your fit and mine, since I have the exact same year and model, are great daily drivers but neither are classic or collectible.

Yes, I realize we don't own classics or collectibles.

I was referring to value to another driver, should I either sell it or trade it in, such as navigation, tinted windows, etc. (options)

On another topic for a sec: you say you have the same year, so let me ask you something: Is the suspension in your car stiff? Is it the way the Fit Sport is made, or is it MY car? I feel every pothole and bump!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YouKantPimpInaKIA
The only way to add any real value to any vehicle is not drive it, adding a trailer hitch to a Fit will only drop it's value because it can be interpreted that it was dragging around extra weight for who knows how long.
I can see it now .... washing and waxing my car every day, but not driving, so when I DO trade it in or sell it, it's got VALUE!

Don't worry, I'm not getting a hitch.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Miss_Diana
Good information, thanks!

I'll check on the rear bumper appliques.

What exactly is the Mugen accessory aero kit, grill, and wheels? Is that made by Honda?

I do have the extended warranty, which can be passed on to a new owner.
Mugen accessories are indeed OEM Honda parts, at least for the 2009 and 2010 model year Fits state side and possibly Canada. Going from what American Honda provides for the '09/'10 Fit, the Mugen accessories primarily consist of appearance items with a couple of performance goodies like an axle back muffler and short throw shifter for manual models. Click the link provided below to check them out... Even if the Mugen parts aren't quite what you are looking for, there are links to other OEM Honda accessories on this page.

Genuine OEM Honda Fit Mugen Parts

Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
good tires, expensive wheels, and some oem accessories. also, keep the overall condition as good as you can in a long term. when you resell it, it will hold its value for sure.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Good floor mats. This is subjective to the weather where you live, but up here, the weather gets nasty in the winter, and two things that always help a car sell are a second set of wheels with winter tires, and good floor mats.

A lot of dealers will take a car if it has aftermarket wheels with summer tires, and a set of OEM wheels with winters on them.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Full suspension kit, exhaust system(cat/axel back), aero kit, 15 or 16" aluminum alloy rims (+35 - +4x) off sets, touch and go gps heads-up unit and some good ol' vinyl stickers to give it that Slick Ricer look.

Last edited by FortisXLII; 04-08-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FortisXLII
Full suspension kit, exhaust system(cat/axel back), aero kit, 15 or 16" aluminum alloy rims (+35 - +4x) off sets, touch and go gps heads-up unit and some good ol' vinyl stickers to give it that Slick Ricer look.
come on, those things won't add much value, but aftermarket parts depreciate like rockets. usually, people lose half of the purchase price after a year or two.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
nothing added on gives you any value at resale. Even if you add positive "performance" mods it decreases your value; because buyers then are wary that you have been racing your car. You are better off taking off your mods, selling your car stock, and then trying to sell your mods back.

Perhaps at best, you invest in protection type mods such as washes and wax, a car cover, mats and liners, or other to preserve value; but nothing will add value.

Even straight off the lot with 500miles, people would value a new stock car more versus your 500mile car+mods.

Quick Reply: How to add value to the car ???