2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Anyone try a HPS Short Ram Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Anyone try a HPS Short Ram Intake?

I have a 2011 Fit Sport and am thinking about adding a HPS Short Ram Intake and was curious if anyone else has tried this? It uses the K&N cone filter and sells for $170 (with free shipping). Seems like a good deal compared to the K&N Typhoon that costs $230. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Go on youtube and type the intake. im just not a fan of short ram intakes because they suck hot air which = no gains.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 PM
^But on the GE Fit the cold air duct on the hood runs right to where short rams sit in the back of the bay

I haven't seen this HPS intake, mind posting a link OP?

Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Old 04-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Doesn't look bad at all, I mean, at some point an intake is an intake, it will make noise and that's its main purpose on this motor. Might as well spend as little as possible and if it comes with a decent filter that's a plus. So why not?

I'd buy it if I wanted an intake.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Doesn't look bad at all, I mean, at some point an intake is an intake, it will make noise and that's its main purpose on this motor. Might as well spend as little as possible and if it comes with a decent filter that's a plus. So why not?

I'd buy it if I wanted an intake.
+1. Really the only way you could do an intake cheaper is if you go the DIY route, which I did. I bought a K&N filter and replacement air box lid and have about $100 total in parts for my setup. If you don't want to go to the trouble of the DIY route though this looks like the best and cheapest option.

-Dustin

Old 05-03-2014, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
I'm just joining this forum (Been lurking for a while) and am interested in intakes. This seems simple enough. Please report your findings. I'm actually wondering if this will fit a 2015 Fit. I plan on adding pieces to it to make my own version of a cold air intake.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Update: I installed the HPS intake last week and I'm a fan so far. No mileage number to report yet. My butt horsepower rater is happy. Mostly I wanted a little bit more sound, but only when I was pushing it and that's exactly what I got. No additional sound while cruising on the highway, thankfully. It's a nice sound when you are full throttle, or over about 3,500 rpm. Plus it looks good (not amazing) in the engine. I'll post some pictures soon. I ended up googling coupon codes for the product and bought it for $150 including shipping and the K&N air filter. Took about 1 hour to install.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that's cool.

my '12 sounds like it's gasping for air up top. does your intake provide smoother incremental power to redline?

Old 05-13-2014, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Most of the aftermarket intakes will result in slight gains (although sometimes none) up top, but it sacrifices power down low. In the past Honda cars, I've noticed a significant dip up to 4k or so (compared to baseline), then a greater gain.

For a car like the Fit, power up top is not as crucial as torque down low. Which is why I'm sticking with the OEM set up. I hate K&N filters with a passion as well.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by p nut
Most of the aftermarket intakes will result in slight gains (although sometimes none) up top, but it sacrifices power down low. In the past Honda cars, I've noticed a significant dip up to 4k or so (compared to baseline), then a greater gain.

For a car like the Fit, power up top is not as crucial as torque down low. Which is why I'm sticking with the OEM set up. I hate K&N filters with a passion as well.
Why hate k&n just cause some of the best drivers and race teams in the world use their filters but hey what do they know about cars continue going to autozone for your mods or the cheapest thing on eBay you can find

Old 05-15-2014, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Always love direct comparisons to race cars. What they run is always best for your everyday application, right?

Old 05-15-2014, 03:45 AM
5 Year Member

What do you mean by slight gains? Total horsepower or slight percentage of horsepower vs stock?

What information do you that shows a sacrifice in power down low? A dyno plot? Remember, I'm new here. This Weapon R intake on a Dynapack is not showing a sacrifice on the low end. -->Name:  09-FIT-STOCK-VS-WR-COLD-AIR-B.jpg
Views: 6790
Size:  66.1 KB

This Takeda intake doesn't show a sacrifice in low end. Just using some examples of what some folks posted up.-->

Old 05-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Always love direct comparisons to race cars. What they run is always best for your everyday application, right?
I'm sure decades of research means nothing as well what is your reason for hating k&n to begin with American company well respected test all there stuff with great results lifetime warrenty there proud of their shit and will back it up how can you hate

Old 05-16-2014, 12:22 AM
dont believe brand name dynos at all. EVER.

Intakes give some response, but barely any power gains until exhaust is opened up.

I tried a buddys stock airbox for shits and giggles after doing the weaponR cat deletes, and that was a pretty damn noticable difference between the sufficating airbox and pretty much any intake

Old 05-16-2014, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by 13fit
dont believe brand name dynos at all. EVER.

Intakes give some response, but barely any power gains until exhaust is opened up.

I tried a buddys stock airbox for shits and giggles after doing the weaponR cat deletes, and that was a pretty damn noticable difference between the sufficating airbox and pretty much any intake
You are EXACTLY right. Just think of a car as your body. Let's say you found a way to take in a lot more food at each meal time. Sure your stomach (cars engine) can digest it but w/o modifying your intestines (cars B-Pipe) and butt hole (muffler), the extra food will be backed up. My point is the exhaust needs to be modified in order to handle the 30-40% more air the engine is attempting to take in.

Yes this is a tad morbid but were all adults...

Old 05-16-2014, 11:19 PM
its not really a change in volume, so much as velocity. A 1.5 liter motor is going to ingest the same amount of air regardless of boltons or intake/exhaust. As long as the pistons and valves are the same, the same volume is passing through.

That velocity increase is helpful, as it is reducing losses. That is where the extra power comes from.

A good example is going down the highway at 80mph, and doing the same a foot away from a big truck or semi. Engine is pumping the same air, but behind the truck its not fighting as much air drag

Old 05-17-2014, 02:47 AM
13 fit is correct. The head ie valves/cam are going to take in the same air intake or not to achieve the factory air fuel ratio at said RPM. Now increasing the density (colder air) of the air will help ensure the ecu is not pulling any timing in real world conditions ie heat soak on 100 degree day, and yes you might increase velocity and efficiency so in turn could gain 1-5whp.

There is potential with most mods that you will give and take with power. Generally speaking quality bolt ons with Hondas show minimal gains without a proper tune but rarely if ever hurt the power. (Intake,Bpipe,Exhaust)

Old 05-17-2014, 02:49 AM
I'd say 10-15whp is what is realistic to be picked up with a good Intake,B pipe, Exhaust combo.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by mitsubeastlee
13 fit is correct. The head ie valves/cam are going to take in the same air intake or not to achieve the factory air fuel ratio at said RPM. Now increasing the density (colder air) of the air will help ensure the ecu is not pulling any timing in real world conditions ie heat soak on 100 degree day, and yes you might increase velocity and efficiency so in turn could gain 1-5whp.

There is potential with most mods that you will give and take with power. Generally speaking quality bolt ons with Hondas show minimal gains without a proper tune but rarely if ever hurt the power. (Intake,Bpipe,Exhaust)

air fuel ratio has nothing to do with the amount of air going through the motor

AFR is a term in relation to how much fuel is being injected into the motor, not air.

14.7 is stoic, yet our Fits actually run pig rich most of the time in relation to how it should be for better power and fuel economy. And yet we still get over 40mpg with proper parts and driving style!!

Quick Reply: Anyone try a HPS Short Ram Intake?