2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is this a Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Is this a Good Deal?

Sorry to talk business, but I haven't bought a car since 2008, so I could use your advice.

Is this a good deal on a new 2013 Sport Fit with MT? Are mean are these good term on which to go for a deal? I'm thinking cash not financing.

36 months .9 interest rate o.a.c
60 months 1.9 % o.a.c.
.00030 money factor on a least 36 months 12,000 miles.
There is Whip Cash of $500.00
Honda cash of $800.00
Honda Hold Back of $369.00

Old 04-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
uhh im missing ur OTD price...

Old 04-12-2014, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
^^I know. I'm trying to get them to commit to something before I go in.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
As I tell everyone the same thing, here I go again:

1. forget what you just did and told us
2. send out e-mails to around 5 internet managers at your local Honda dealers. Tell them exactly what you are looking for and ask for an Out the Door price.
3. while you are waiting to get some Out the Door prices from the internet managers, use Truecar.com or Edmunds, or some online service that will tell you what a fair price is in your zip code.
4. once you get some numbers back from the internet managers and compare them to the numbers you got from Truecar or Edmunds, either pick the winner or....
5. use any type of car buying service you have at your disposal (local company, USAA, Costco, etc.) and buy the car through that service. It will likely be lower than anything you can do yourself. Should the dealer that (let's say) Costco sends you to have a price that is higher than one of your internet managers, then walk out and go see him/her.

Don't waste your time at a dealership. In 2014, they only exist so you can wipe your feet clean of mud on your shoes as you walk in, and so you can test drive a few models and see what you like. Do the final car buying from the comfort of your home.

Last edited by BurntZ; 04-12-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Marrk
.....Is this a good deal on a new 2013 Sport Fit with MT?.......
It all depends on the actual selling price of the vehicle itself no matter if you pay cash, lease or finance. Price should be the starting point. From that, make sure they don't add on useless dealer mark-ups like, advertising fee, diamond coating, undercoating................etc.....

Look at this posted on 3/12/14 from another FF and you'll get an idea of what to go for:

Originally Posted by littlexmissxfit
Just got a 2013 Honda Fit Sport AT Taffeta White $15700+1500tax+300fees=$17500
That's new 2013 w/ an auto, so less another $800, and you should be paying a vehicle price of $15,000 at the most for the basic Sport w/ M/T.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 04-12-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BurntZ
As I tell everyone the same thing, here I go again:

1. forget what you just did and told us
2. send out e-mails to around 5 internet managers at your local Honda dealers. Tell them exactly what you are looking for and ask for an Out the Door price.
3. while you are waiting to get some Out the Door prices from the internet managers, use Truecar.com or Edmunds, or some online service that will tell you what a fair price is in your zip code.
4. once you get some numbers back from the internet managers and compare them to the numbers you got from Truecar or Edmunds, either pick the winner or....
5. use any type of car buying service you have at your disposal (local company, USAA, Costco, etc.) and buy the car through that service. It will likely be lower than anything you can do yourself. Should the dealer that (let's say) Costco sends you to have a price that is higher than one of your internet managers, then walk out and go see him/her.

Don't waste your time at a dealership. In 2014, they only exist so you can wipe your feet clean of mud on your shoes as you walk in, and so you can test drive a few models and see what you like. Do the final car buying from the comfort of your home.

2. I've noticed that "internet managers" no longer make internet sales. They just use the internet to tell you that you have to come down to the dealership.

3. Every time I go on Edmunds these days, it seems I never get to the page that they used to always have that showed wholesale and retail, etc.

5. I forgot about AAA. I suppose I could go that way. They used to offer something they called "fleet pricing."

Old 04-13-2014, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
I sure hope Internet Managers have not stopped sending out their out the door quotes. Last year I sent out 5 e-mails to local Honda dealers asking for them to bid on a valve clearance adjustment on my GD. I got 3 replies back from Service Advisors. My local dealer (not one of the on line quotes) wanted $450 which is outrageous. One of the quotes came back at $270. I then took that quote to my local dealer and of course they matched it (only after I rubbed dirt in their face and said they should be ashamed of themselves for asking $450 for a pretty routine labor job).
If you don't have access to a buying service, it would be money well spent to join a Costco, BJs, or Sams Club just to utilize the car buying service. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Car service is not car sales.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Edmunds has obscured their "true market value" for new cars but it's still there. But the market for 2013 Fits is changing rapidly. Besides having the disadvantage of being an older model year (this counts for value here, not so much in Europe or maybe Japan), the 2015s are coming out this week.

What I'm saying is right now it's a volatile buyers' market on 2013s. Strike the best deal you can, there are no comparables. I'd be looking for 1500-2000 off list, but that's just a swag.

What the hell is whip money and honda cash? Sounds like dealer double talk. Get the sales price including all their fees before tax tag and title (or OTD if you're more comfortable that way. The price including dealer fees is what you're comparing and this is what is published on various web sites.

Yeah, depending on the local market, you need to visit the dealer so they have time invested in the sale. Leave. Then start negotiating via email.

Here's what Edmunds says:

Here's what KBB says:

Here's what TrueCar says:

I'd start with a lowball offer of $15,500 and settle for the low 16s. This is including all dealer fees but not including tax, tag, title.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:28 AM
I just bought a 2013 white sport 5speed for $17300 OTD but I got the same amount $7500 my trade that I was going to sell my car on craigslist. So around $9800 or ($17300 however you want to look at it). They would not budge at all past $17300 OTD but after 30+mins they came up a $1000 on my trade to match what I was going sell my car on craigslist for. But I was literally standing up when he said don't go we will give you what you want. That was a first! I'm sure they will make money on my trade in, but it's a GM and now that car is having some crazy safety recalls now. Not the best overall price but some dealerships I called and didn't negotiate at all were talking $18000 before fees! I contacted 4 dealers via internet and did similar like Burntz said ( he is totally right!!!!) Also dealers will give you OTD pricing over the phone or email if you pressure them. If they don't tell them that xyz dealer has given you OTD pricing and use truecar website pricing or similar website and go from there with others. But make sure they aren't trying add bs charges. They tried to add more but I refused and was ready to walk away. They know the new fits are coming out and they perceive them as being better and more profit I'm sure.

Last edited by Irishredfireman; 04-14-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks Fireman. It is nice to know the internet is alive and well. Every time I complain about my monthly cable/internet bill, I just remember how many thousands of dollars this medium has saved me on travel, and car purchases, parts and rentals. Enjoy your new Fit over the next 10 years.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
All the sweeteners in the world are irrelevant until you have a price offered. Click away! My area dealers were all showing $16,200 for the car I was looking at. I went to the dealer site, clicked in and within an hour had the "come on in for a test drive" email with a solid offer for a much lower price.