2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Thinking of buying a used 09 FIT SPORT price check and should I?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
Thinking of buying a used 09 FIT SPORT price check and should I?

Hey Folks,

Just found out about this cool hatchback. I found one with very low miles, excellent condition under 30k miles, Sport with nav for 10500. Is that a good price on one of these and how much different is the 09 compared to the 13? Reason I ask is I took one of the several 13 leftovers at my local dealer for a test drive today and was impressed. I didn't take the used on for a test ride yet but if is as nice as the 13 I will be buying it. The salesman didn't want to move on the price of the new 2013 at $18500 but I bet I can find a better deal on a new one. An 09 for half the price seems like a great deal. If its a good deal are their any issues or things I should look for on the 09 when I check it out? Thanks much guys, its seems like a great car, appreciate any and all advice.

Bill

Old 04-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by medbill
...cool hatchback....found one....low miles, ..under 30k miles, Sport with nav for 10500. Is that a good price............09 compared to the 13? ......salesman didn't want to move on the price.....bet I can find a better deal........ I......any issues......? ..........
On the '09 make sure the recalls on engine valve motion springs and cooling were both done. If not, any dealership will still do it for free. Get a Carfax report. The mileage is absolutely "one of the few" and its a Sport at that so the pricing is reflective of that particular vehicle's condition. Depending on acceptable mileage they usually range from $7-9,500.
Certainly a good choice, but only after you visit other Honda dealers in your area to deal on a new '13.
The salesman at the dealership you visited is more focused on bringing home a decent commission from the car's gross profit. Most dealers are getting rid of '13 inventory as the '15's are arriving shortly. THEY WILL GIVE DEALS!!! Even if they sell at cost. Remember cost to them is not only invoice, but dealer hold-back, volume bonuses etc....................
Don't worry about the salesguy as they will usually get a "flat" commission to unload outgoing models, even if its sold at cost (sometimes under - e.g. in the case of M/T).
From others that recently posted prices of new '13 Sport Fits, the magic number seems to be $15k M/T and $15.8 A/T plus taxes/licence.
Happy shopping!!!!
Post pics once you get your Fit.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 04-17-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you for the reply, the used one has a solid Carfax report and the guy had all the work done at the dealership and he said including a recall. Will find out Wed how much work he had done and what not as he said he has all the paperwork. Car was also garage kept and from the pics it looks it. I was thinking of offering 9500 based on Kelly Blue book and that I see these don't hold their value as much as other Honda models. I just checked with my credit union, Pentagon Federal, who are great by the way. They have a car buying service and at the same dealership I was at today they have a certificate saying I am guaranteed at least $1277 off any in stock 2013's. They had a few too, mostly sticks but I'm after an auto.

Will see what the best deal is that they can offer me as well as the guy with the used one. I am in a much better position now since a new one can be had for a few grand more. I see the Sport and the Nav system add a lot to the cost of a new one. Nice car though, so were there any changes between 09 and 13 in regards to ride quality?

Thanks again and really glad I found this forum!

BIll

Old 04-15-2014, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
........... these don't hold their value as much as other Honda models.........any changes between 09 and 13 in regards to ride quality?.......
My only other new Honda was a 1990 Honda Accord which I kept for 5 yrs. Paid $18 and sold for $12. Got my '08 Fit (base) for $15 and its pre-sold to a relative for $6.5k. Depreciation cost/yr. was $100 less on the Fit. Can only speak from my own experience and am enjoying the Fit way more.
As for changes, am sure others will post their impressions to differentiate the '09 vs. the '13.
Have only driven an '11 Base Fit (2nd Gen) and can compare that to my current '08. The '11 definitely has better insulation and the rear end not as jumpy. The '09 your looking at is the 2nd gen and I definitely felt the improvement from my 1st gen.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 04-15-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you again great reply and very helpful!

Old 04-15-2014, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
2 grand off of list for new 2013s isn't out of the world. Check truecar.com for your area. Watch out for dealer fees that add to the list price (these are just a way to sneak in added profit).

The 09 seems fairly priced.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Steve244
2 grand off of list......isn't out of the world. Check truecar.com for your area..............
From my location, no participating dealers listed, however, in San Francisco (where my son is) the truecar.com est. selling price in that area is $16,780 + add Freight ($800) for a total of $17,580.
Our fellow FF got hers for $15,800 with Freight and all dealer costs included for her '13 brand new Fit Sport A/T. This should be the OP's goal. A $3,000+ discount from MSRP is way better than $2,000.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 04-15-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Truecar's prices include all fees but not tax, tag, title. So the freight (and any dealer fees they are wont to charge) should be included in the $16,780 quote. But yeah, I think the game has changed. $15,800 plus TTT is not unreasonable I think.

Really Honda shot themselves in the foot but not rolling out a 2014 model even if it was name only. Americans are not going to buy an "old" car without steep discounts. If they're smart.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
So I am messing around with Truecar and Penfed checking prices...get a call from a woman who says she is calling from True car and wants to make sure I am treated properly, etc. So I tell her I am doing some research still on the car and that dealers still have a lot of leftovers and once the 2015's come out there will be some steep discounts. So she replies that she hears the 2015's will be out in a week or so and she can arrange a test drive. I ask I thought you were from Truecar and she said that is where she got my info from and that she is actually from the dealership where I went for a test drive yesterday! LOL So I am laughing at this point and said well I am going to look at a used one tomorrow and if that doesn't work out I will call you. Please let m know when the new ones come in so I can come in and work a good deal for myself on a leftover if I have too. I would think they would drop below that 15800 number to move these anchors sitting in their lots once the 2015's actually are on the lot. It was pretty funny....

Old 04-15-2014, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
PS: The local dealer has 18 of them and another dealer 20 minutes away has 10....I think the time for good deals to get even better is right around the corner.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Steve244
.....Honda shot themselves in the foot but not rolling out a 2014 model even if it was name only. Americans are not going to buy an "old" car without steep discounts. If they're smart.
Exactly what the OP should be focused on and after his research (thanks to your post), me thinks he's on the right path to play with the dealers. Its always a good feeling to walk away from a dealer when you know that he is dying to unload past model new inventory. They will try everything under the sun not to make you walk out of the showroom. (that means occassionally selling the odd one at less than their overall cost).
As for Honda being smart, maybe not so, but not dumb either. As far as they're concerned they have no more '13 in their inventory. All are now invoiced to dealers which will have them on their lots. Dealers have no choice but to take the '13s or else 2015 allocation will be sacrificed.

PS: The local dealer has 18 of them and another dealer 20 minutes away has 10....I think the time for good deals to get even better is right around the corner.
Wow, with the in the back of your head, your ready to play the "deal" with them. You have the upper hand. One tip would be, try and go month-end as that's the period when they are all after sales goals. Dealers are rushing to push every extra unit especially the previous year's models. (if they know you'll walk you'll be able to get one at their bare cost - meaning less all the profit from invoice, plus factory incentives, holdbacks etc........) Would'nt be surprised if you can score the '13 Sport A/T for less than the $15,800 mentioned. Be flexible on color and you won't regret it.
Happy shopping!!!
The only thing with waiting too long is the particular model, color your after may be gone - but that's the reason for the need of flexibility.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
On the '09 make sure the recalls on engine valve motion springs and cooling were both done. If not, any dealership will still do it for free. Get a Carfax report. The mileage is absolutely "one of the few" and its a Sport at that so the pricing is reflective of that particular vehicle's condition. Depending on acceptable mileage they usually range from $7-9,500.
Certainly a good choice, but only after you visit other Honda dealers in your area to deal on a new '13.
The salesman at the dealership you visited is more focused on bringing home a decent commission from the car's gross profit. Most dealers are getting rid of '13 inventory as the '15's are arriving shortly. THEY WILL GIVE DEALS!!! Even if they sell at cost. Remember cost to them is not only invoice, but dealer hold-back, volume bonuses etc....................
Don't worry about the salesguy as they will usually get a "flat" commission to unload outgoing models, even if its sold at cost (sometimes under - e.g. in the case of M/T).
From others that recently posted prices of new '13 Sport Fits, the magic number seems to be $15k M/T and $15.8 A/T plus taxes/licence.
Happy shopping!!!!
Post pics once your get your Fit.
Hi,

How do I look up recalls for this car? I'm also looking at a 2009 fit and the current owner has only heard of the motion springs recall and I wanted to get some info on the cooling recall.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
There's no cooling recall. LMS is the only thing on 09s or any other year GE. GDs had a recall on the power window switch.

The recall section on the DOT website lists "engine and cooling recalls" but the LMS recall is the only one. Here's the place to check. Whether it's been done on a specific car would have to be verified by Honda.

Last edited by Steve244; 04-16-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Hey Folks,

Just found out about this cool hatchback. I found one with very low miles, excellent condition under 30k miles, Sport with nav for 10500. Is that a good price on one of these and how much different is the 09 compared to the 13? Reason I ask is I took one of the several 13 leftovers at my local dealer for a test drive today and was impressed. I didn't take the used on for a test ride yet but if is as nice as the 13 I will be buying it. The salesman didn't want to move on the price of the new 2013 at $18500 but I bet I can find a better deal on a new one. An 09 for half the price seems like a great deal. If its a good deal are their any issues or things I should look for on the 09 when I check it out? Thanks much guys, its seems like a great car, appreciate any and all advice.

Bill
is the nav running updated map? sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
I went for the 2009 Sport with nav, Honda mats and even Lojack. This guy had all work done at the Honda dealership and the service book was stamped with all work and he had the paperwork done for the valve springs or whatever it was. It has some marks on the bumpers from parking in the city and a door dent. Those things and the honest truth about all the 13 leftovers got him to come down to 9900 from 10850. So I am happy with that and oh yeah it has a year and a half left on the transferrable Honda warranty. It was really tempting to go for a new car but it came down to keeping payments down and MPG up. ;-) Will post my thoughts on it after driving it awhile. I was happily surprised when I found the back seats not only fold down but UP as well. This is well thought out car.

Now I'll do some forum searching to find out how they are in the winter.

Thanks for all the help everyone you really helped me make what I think was a good decision for me.

Bill

Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
I went for the 2009 Sport with nav........Bill
Buds, as long as you got a Fit that suits you, your now part of the FF world. Here are the next things you do:
- Drive your new family member and enjoy her.
- while your assessing that great purchase, remove the auto log-in link to FF. Stay here long enough and you'll fall into the mod cycle. Its inevitable!! The guys here just know how to make them look really good, and will tempt more coin out of your pocket to make it go even faster!!!
- for all those who posted and assisted with your purchase, you at least owe all of us some pics for us to properly welcome a new member to the gang.

Congrats and Happy driving!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a tip on winter tires. Just helped my nephew in Boston score a set or slightly used set of 185/55x16 Michelin X-Ice tires (2,000 miles) for his '13 Fit Sport M/T for $130 from Craigslist. Now until summer is the perfect time to make that investment. FYI, I closed his deal last Sept. 27th on the phone after shopping with various dealers in his area. Price was much higher than what's available now ($16,725++) but he could only do a lease. But at 0 down and 0% APR, it turned out to $176.47/month 36 months (inclusive of taxes). Thought that was pretty good at that time.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 04-17-2014 at 01:10 AM.