2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Suggestions for trailer

Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Suggestions for trailer

I have a 2012 AT Base Fit, and while I have camped in it a couple times using a crib mattress in the back, I want to get setup for a cheap way to go crosscountry with minimal motel stops. So I have a Hidden Hitch on order, and am looking into trailer options. From other trailering posts I think 1000-1200lb is what I want to shoot for. And if it has a solid exterior without a setup needed like a popup camper would, I may be able to sleep nights in rest stops without being busted. It looks like a Harbor Freight trailer with a homebuilt camper/teardrop made on it will fit my needs at a relatively low cost. The guy I saw who made his own teardrop like this spent over $2k in materials...I am shooting for half that. Since I don't need a finished professional look this should be doable...essentially a twin sized bed with a box around and above it, and a sizable door for easy entry exit, and some vents/windows. Try as I might I haven't found any old used trailers close to my desired weight...and I don't want a huge wall behind my car pushing air. Any constructive ideas or suggestions, anything big I've missed?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
littleguytrailers.com has a few models under 1000 lbs. Don't know pricing,
but I'm sure they're not cheap.
They also have rentals(San Diego area)so you can 'test-drive'
Possibly a dealer in Bay Area?

Last edited by silverback; 07-10-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Tear drop is about the only way to go. I built my last one for $1300 and a bit of creativity. It was light enough to tow behind my '89 civic hatchback with the 4 speed.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:48 PM
the littleguys website has a lot of nice units...I have written for a pricelist, but anticipate them being beyond my budget. Homemade is probably the path I take, if I continue down this path.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
You may already know this, but on searchtempest.com you can search craigslist ads by keyword and geographical area. Here's a few:
Teardrop trailer
1972 Teardrop trailer 500 lbs
Teardrop Trailer

Old 07-14-2014, 01:26 AM
There were plans for teardrop trailers published in old magazines (Mechanix Illustrated and similar publications) and some are reproduced on various web sites—ferinstance:
Shoptalk: Teardrop Trailer for Two - Old Woodies

And others have made all-new plans, such as this fairly comprehensive document:
Generic Benroy Plans

And there is at least one forum devoted to such things:
Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • Index page

In addition, you might want to check out the A-liner or similar trailers—yes, they do need some setup, but they're more protected than a pop-up.

I'm not sure that having an "incognito" trailer that requires no setup will prevent all that much harassment at rest areas; my general impression is that states that care about overnighting in RVs of most any sort just have rules against parking for more than a few hours or so. There are places besides rest areas where one can often spend a night in a trailer without much or any hassle—Wal-Mart stores (most of them) being perhaps the best known. Naturally, it behooves one to act respectfully and discretely regardless of where one camps, and is a good idea to ask permission beforehand if that's reasonably possible.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
I've got one of these, it's 5x8.

A little different woodworking and an old pickup cap and you've got an enclosed utility trailer. Even if you're not trying to go stealth, it'll be easier and less annoying (for you and whoever feels like harassing you) than a pop-up. I have one of those too, but it's way too big for the Fit.