2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Any Centric Brake Pad Users Here??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Any Centric Brake Pad Users Here??

In need of a brake job! Went to Honda to buy an OE set since they have long wear and low dust, makes me believe they are ceramic; cost $62+ tax locally. Box says made in Japan so I’m wonder if Akebono is the supplier. The pads came with shims, pad retainers, and two packs of grease. I was hoping it also came with the replacement hardware kit, the break pad mounts.

Now I’m thinking of returning them and getting Centric. I am a big fan of Centric’s bang for the buck and have use them extensively. I’m browsing RockAuto and WOW, what a selection! but confusing. Anyone here use Centric pads and if so which series did you use? More important, what “hardware” is included?

Btw, my ‘09’s 50K rotors are rusted to hell and one pad ate into the rotor too much so new Centric Premiums rotors will also be done.

Appreciate any feedback from Centric pad users and what they came with. I’m leaning towards the “10013940 OE Formula Brake Pads w/Hardware”. It may not brake as well as the HP/HD pads but I’m targeting DD behavior/characters. I just need whatever else is not included in the “hardware” it comes with.

Thanks!

For Reference:
Rockauto

Econo
CENTRIC Part # 30113940 Premium Ceramic Pads w/Shims
Front $18.77
CENTRIC Part # 10313940 C-TEK Ceramic Brake Pads
Front $19.21

DD
CENTRIC Part # 10513940 Posi-Quiet Ceramic w/Shims and hardware-P
Front $25.79
CENTRIC Part # 10013940 OE Formula Brake Pads w/Hardware
Front $39.89

HP/HD
CENTRIC Part # 10613940 Posi-Quiet Extended Wear w/Shims; Semi-Metallic
Front $39.79

Last edited by silentnoise713; 07-11-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: break =/= brake
Old 07-11-2014, 01:23 PM
No personal experience, but after a ton of research i've done, i'd settled on the Centric line as being some of the best Chinese rotors/pads you can get these days. I too will be getting the Centric Premium rotors when the time comes.

In because curious for my other car.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Hey silentnoise713, I'll be doing my brakes in the next month or so. After my research I decided to go with Hawk Performance brake pads, but considering the Centric (Power Slot) rotors for my 08 Fit Sport. I'm just over 100K with the original rotors so I figure since everything is apart why not.

I'm going to change the brake fluid as well. What about you? Have you done that yet?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
No experience with Centric's pads yet but I am running "their" rotors on my Fit since Centric and Stop Tech are effectively one in the same... I wouldn't know the difference in their parts quality (if any) but have noticed that Centric is more of a direct OEM replacement part were as Stop Tech is an upgraded alternative that still meets or exceeds OEM specs.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Geckster
Hey silentnoise713, I'll be doing my brakes in thenext month or so. After my research I decided to go with Hawk Performance brakepads, but considering the Centric (Power Slot) rotors for my 08 Fit Sport. I'mjust over 100K with the original rotors so I figure since everything is apartwhy not.

I'm going to change the brake fluid as well. What about you? Have you donethat yet?
Performance is not always better. It really depends on yourdaily driven situation. If you don't ride you brakes, aggressively brake, or doa lot of stop and go braking, performance pads may not be suited for you. Whiletheir fade resistance is much higher, they are most effective if they arealways on (warmed up). DD pads offer better cold braking. FWIW, DD pads andPerformance pads have a slightly different bed-in procedure due to their characteristics.

Yup, changed/flush/bleed the brakes, clutch, and MTF. The old DOT3 was disgusting!It is definitely overdue for a change.

Originally Posted by Hootie
No experience with Centric's pads yet but I am running"their" rotors on my Fit since Centric and Stop Tech are effectivelyone in the same... I wouldn't know the difference in their parts quality (ifany) but have noticed that Centric is more of a direct OEM replacement part wereas Stop Tech is an upgraded alternative that still meets or exceeds OEMspecs.
Centric acquired both Stop Tech and Power Slot so they are essentially thesame company now. IIRC, the Power Slot name was consolidated with Stop Tech ashort while later. Centric offers products in different price tiers - you getwhat you pay for. Check their catalog, the first number before the dot (.)identifies it. Keep in mind, performance is not always better but always stayaway from junk. Their C-Tek line is absolute crap. The "Premium" lineis the best bang for the buck. You can also step up to Heavy Duty line, whichis their High Carbon series (I suspect is the base for the Stop Tech). You canfurther optionally step-up both the Premium and High Carbon series with cryogenictreatment for extended durability.

So it sounds like no one used Centric pads?. The more I think about it, I might just suck it up with OE pads + Centric rotors. I do like the OE pads and $23 difference is nothing considering they will last me another 50K.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Missed this on the info for Akebono pads for the Fit. Confirms what I suspected .
So the dealer has a ~$10 mark-up + tax but no shipping. Sounds fair to me.

AKEBONO Part # ACT1394 ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad
Front; Akebono is the OE Manufacturer; OE Pad Material is Ceramic
$49.99
More Information for AKEBONO ACT1394

Guess I am keeping Honda pads and will pair them with Centric "High Carbon" series rotors: $68.38 shipped for 2 rotors from Autoanythng.com (currently running 10% Centric sale), which is cheaper than rockauto/amazon.

Last edited by silentnoise713; 07-14-2014 at 02:28 PM.