Back up camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:41 AM
Back up camera

Any ideas on retro fitting a back up camera into a 13 Base AT?
I have some health issues that limit my mobility. Our other car is a 13 Accord and the camera is awe inspiring.
Thoughts?

Old 07-12-2014, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
You'll need an aftermarket radio that supports a "Backup/Reverse camera." There are no factory options for the GE Fit. The Sports w/Navi unit doesn't support a reverse camera feed.

Then the camera will be mounted somewhere in the back, either on a bracket on top two bolts for the license plate, under the trim where the hatch handle is or as one member did it, on the inside of the hatch, on the bottom side of the upper/third brake light.

Much of the wiring will be dependent on the camera model, but one wire will have to connect to a "reverse signal" wire.

The reverse signal wire will trigger both the radio to switch to the camera feed and to activate the camera at the same time.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Look into a gentex mirror with integrated backup cam.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Then the camera will be mounted somewhere in the back, either on a bracket on top two bolts for the license plate, under the trim where the hatch handle is or as one member did it, on the inside of the hatch, on the bottom side of the upper/third brake light.
Under the third brake light?! That is an ingenious place to put it! Too bad my hatch window is tinted down to like 3% so I wouldn't be able to see very much if I put the camera there. Another place one could mount the camera is in the keyhole for the hatch (assuming of course that it has a keyhole).

Old 07-12-2014, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DWils
Under the third brake light?! That is an ingenious place to put it! Too bad my hatch window is tinted down to like 3% so I wouldn't be able to see very much if I put the camera there. Another place one could mount the camera is in the keyhole for the hatch (assuming of course that it has a keyhole).
Base trim will have a keyhole in the hatch.

For anyone else with the Sport trim, they can put the camera just under the hatch spoiler.

Some other thoughts...

For those that don't like the rear wiper and do the delete... you can put the camera there.

I think another member mentioned it (though, not sure). Instead of putting it right under the third brake light... you can modify it to make room and put the camera right inside of it.

Then, if you have tint, you can peel just enough for the outline of the brake light. Or limit it to a tiny circular shape, just enough for the camera. Maybe even add in place of the peeled tint, a lighter shade so it isn't as obvious?