2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Need advice on possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Need advice on possible purchase

Hello, first post here.
My wife's car died today and now I'm seriously looking for a replacement. The only car really interested in is a Fit. We've leased a Civic in the past and kick ourselves for not seeing it thru and buying it out. I'd likely still have a great car. Live and learn I guess.

Honda Canada is offering .99% on 2014 models until the end of the month. Heavily leaning towards the DX-A. Are there any issues with this model and year?

Do Honda dealers "negotiate" or does everyone pay the same amount when incentives are being offered?

Are the automatics capable of a 2-300,000 KM service life?

Are there's my chronic issues with these cars?

Thanks

Old 07-19-2014, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mightfit
Hello, first post here.
My wife's car died today and now I'm seriously looking for a replacement. The only car really interested in is a Fit. We've leased a Civic in the past and kick ourselves for not seeing it thru and buying it out. I'd likely still have a great car. Live and learn I guess.

Honda Canada is offering .99% on 2014 models until the end of the month. Heavily leaning towards the DX-A. Are there any issues with this model and year?

Do Honda dealers "negotiate" or does everyone pay the same amount when incentives are being offered?

Are the automatics capable of a 2-300,000 KM service life?

Are there's my chronic issues with these cars?

Thanks

As far as I know, no known issues with that model year. I own a 2012 and it hasn't really changed from then until the 2014.

As far as discounting, it will be tough as the dealer margin on them is already razor thin and they tend to move even without real discounting. Your best bet would be to get them to throw something in like the all weather mats as part of the purchase price, which is what I did. My purchase was in Mar 2013 and my car was still on the lot cause no one wanted a manual, so Honda was offering 1.6% over 6 years so I jumped on it.

And any Honda of the last 30 years or so, if properly maintained, has a better than average chance of easily going 300,000kms or more. The only problem that arises, which happened to my last Honda was wear and tear repair costs started to add up to more than the value of the 14 year old car with 280,000kms. The car was still running great and probably would have continued to do so, but dumping in $1500 in repairs over a year on a car worth $1200, based on age and mileage, just stopped making sense. But that's not unique to Honda, Everyone has to make that decision about an old car at some point.

I say pull the trigger if you were happy with your previous Civic. You won't be disappointed with the Fit.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mightfit
Honda Canada is offering .99% on 2014 models until the end of the month. Heavily leaning towards the DX-A. Are there any issues with this model and .......

Thanks
0.99% is the best you can get with Honda unless you have a current contract with them running at the same time.

I have a 2013 and until now I'm very happy with that car, the all seasons mats are importants, another important point is those cars have the higher resale value in the market.

Luis

Old 07-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Well, we ended up with a Black LX with manual trans. Bought it over the phone at a dealer 30 KM away as the local dealer had none left except their service loaner and didn't seem too interested in selling it, although I expressed interest in doing so. We got the HD mats and trunk floor protector in case Nellie the Chocolate Lab ends up riding back there. We tried to pick it up today but the dealer completely dropped the ball so were riding around in a rental car at their expense until they get it right.