2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

keyless entry remote for 2010 honda- advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Cool keyless entry remote for 2010 honda- advice needed!

I bought a 2010 honda fit base model. But it doesn't have a keyless entry remote! I really want to install one. Is it better and safer to install on at my Honda dealership or it's also ok to install it at some car repair stores? Any suggestions please!!!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FfNqIHxUhPU that might give you a start.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:42 PM
If you don't mind having an extra key on your chain for the remote part you can buy a blank on ebay for under $50 and program it- instructions in the manual.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
The Canadian low end models may not have central locking and so would lack the hardware to enable keyless entry.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks for all your advice!
I went to my dealership last week and they told me that my car doesn't have a keyless entry system. They have to install one. And they told me that all the parts needed to be ordered and they will be all Honda manufatured parts. But the cost is very hight about $400 not including tax. So I'm not sure if I sholuld install one at Honda dealership or not. i thought it will be safer to have a honda company do it with all honda parts? I'm afraid if I do it outside of honda company, it will cause some damage to my car? Is it true???

Old 07-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Before you spend any money, do you know anybody with a Honda that has keyless entry? You might try seeing if you can get your car to recognize their key (the manual, at least for the US model, explains how to do this). Then you will know whether the solution the Honda dealer is recommending is necessary. A friend of mine has the Fit Base model and I just bought her a blank key and programmed it.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fito08
Thanks for all your advice!
I went to my dealership last week and they told me that my car doesn't have a keyless entry system. They have to install one. And they told me that all the parts needed to be ordered and they will be all Honda manufatured parts. But the cost is very hight about $400 not including tax. So I'm not sure if I sholuld install one at Honda dealership or not. i thought it will be safer to have a honda company do it with all honda parts? I'm afraid if I do it outside of honda company, it will cause some damage to my car? Is it true???
Does your car have central locking? (the lock/unlock button on the driver's door that unlocks/locks all four doors). If the dealer is quoting you $400 to install the lock actuators on all five doors, a central lock/unlock button, and remote keyless entry, it seems reasonable.

Here in the states our Base fits come with all the hardware including the radio receiver that gets the signal from the remote entry on the key, but doesn't come with a remote entry key. Adding this here is just a matter of purchasing a remote entry key and getting the key cut and programmed for security to work the car's locks. this can be done for around $150 (still not cheap).

Old 07-29-2014, 01:39 PM
subscribed.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Does your car have central locking? (the lock/unlock button on the driver's door that unlocks/locks all four doors). If the dealer is quoting you $400 to install the lock actuators on all five doors, a central lock/unlock button, and remote keyless entry, it seems reasonable.

Here in the states our Base fits come with all the hardware including the radio receiver that gets the signal from the remote entry on the key, but doesn't come with a remote entry key. Adding this here is just a matter of purchasing a remote entry key and getting the key cut and programmed for security to work the car's locks. this can be done for around $150 (still not cheap).
thanks for the advice! and Yes! My car does have a central locking. But I'm not sure if it has a a radio receiver. Last time when i went to the dealership. I saw that the parts needed to be ordered from Honda is about $150, but the labor fee is just way too expensive. So according to what you've said I can just have a car service company outside of my dealership do it?

Old 07-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Before you spend any money, do you know anybody with a Honda that has keyless entry? You might try seeing if you can get your car to recognize their key (the manual, at least for the US model, explains how to do this). Then you will know whether the solution the Honda dealer is recommending is necessary. A friend of mine has the Fit Base model and I just bought her a blank key and programmed it.

thanks for the information! I know a person who has a fit sports model with a keyless entry. I will ask that person to lend me the key! but I think my car is a Japanese model, it's imported from japan, So I hope I can find the information ont the manual!

Old 07-30-2014, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
All you need is a remote

If you've got the central locking, the circuitry and receiver should already be installed as well. All you need is some sort of remote to trigger it. The remote needs to be programmed to work with your car, but that's something you can do yourself: there's a thread here on the forum with instructions on how to do this.

By far the cheapest remote is a key for a Fit Sport - it has the remote built in & costs less than any other stand-alone remote. If you want to, you can pay the stealership some $$ to cut that key & program the embedded anti-theft electronics in the key so that it replaces your existing key.

Or, you can cut off the key blade and use the remainder as a stand-alone remote. That's what I did, and now have a remote for my 2009 USDM Base Fit.