2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

2013 Base Fit--tires nearly gone after 27K, what you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Guys, just to let you know, I ordered 4 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires from TireRack, and went with one of their recommended installers. He mounted, balanced, and aligned my tires.

(The installer initially said that I did not need alignment, but then when he took off all the tires, decided that 2 of them--the front ones I guess--had uneven wearing. He recommended that I check the alignment, and told me that it was off after he measured it, so I had it fixed. He said that the potholes that plague our area are really bad for throwing out alignment.)

My initial impression of these Michelins is that I was totally unprepared for the change in driving experience that they give. In particular, I get a lot more tactile feedback from them, like slight road vibration thru the steering wheel. The ride is not as smooth, but seems a lot more real. I decided that I like the better connectedness with the road.

One question: does the recommended tire pressure that Honda states in my Fit's door panel apply to all tire makes, like these Michelins, or do some brands of tires need slightly different pressure?

Old 09-12-2014, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AgentMulder
Guys, just to let you know, I ordered 4 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires from TireRack, and went with one of their recommended installers. He mounted, balanced, and aligned my tires.

(The installer initially said that I did not need alignment, but then when he took off all the tires, decided that 2 of them--the front ones I guess--had uneven wearing. He recommended that I check the alignment, and told me that it was off after he measured it, so I had it fixed. He said that the potholes that plague our area are really bad for throwing out alignment.)

My initial impression of these Michelins is that I was totally unprepared for the change in driving experience that they give. In particular, I get a lot more tactile feedback from them, like slight road vibration thru the steering wheel. The ride is not as smooth, but seems a lot more real. I decided that I like the better connectedness with the road.

One question: does the recommended tire pressure that Honda states in my Fit's door panel apply to all tire makes, like these Michelins, or do some brands of tires need slightly different pressure?
2 different statements there.

You can assume the Manufacturer's recommended tire pressure is applicable to all tires of the same size. The tire manufacturer, and michelin in particular will say refer to the vehicle owner's manual.

But a different statement is some tires (even the OEM tires) may perform better or worse at different tire pressures; with you being a judge.
Did you doublecheck what pressure they are at right now?

Last edited by raytseng; 09-12-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member

Let us know your impression of MPG with the new tires. The alignment may help too. I'm going to need new tires in another 15K or so (have 45K on a set of Energies) and the Pilots are less expensive.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
I thought that new tires were supposed to last for way more than 27,000 miles ("We would expect at least 50,000 miles from the tires that come with any new vehicle...").

I got 12K out of the OEM Dunlops on my '08 Fit. But that's probably because my granny never drove the car.

Go to tirerack.com and see what Michelins they have in the OEM size for the '13 Fit. Michelin is a quality tire. You won't get 50k out of it, but, then, you won't get 50k out of any tire. Really, no kidding.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
I'm using 205-50-R16 (General Tire GMAX AS-03) I changed due to the specs of my new Wheels, I would really recommend you guys to go to that size, you'll notice the difference stability and strong look are the highlights.
In my case the mileage is still the same no variation on consumption.

Luis
Honda Fit Sport 2013 - Vortex Blue Pearl

Old 09-12-2014, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
My favorite tires on my Fit

Check out General Altimax HP's. Tire Rack has them here:

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?tireMake=General&tireModel=Alti max+HP&partnum=765HR5AMAXHP&autoMake=Honda&autoYea r=2009&autoModel=Fit&autoModClar=
$65 each, they ride and wear great. I keep mine aired up to 45 psi.

I thought that new tires were supposed to last for way more than 27,000 miles ("We would expect at least 50,000 miles from the tires that come with any new vehicle...").

But when I took my 2013 Base Fit in for service today (oil change, engine and cabin air filters, tire rotation), the guys at my Honda dealership told me that they would not even bother rotating my tires because they are so worn down they need replacing ASAP.

That really surprised me, since my Fit has a little less than 27,000 miles, I drive it normally, check tire pressure regularly, and have done every scheduled service on time.

Researching this issue, I came across this website and discovered that many other people report the same issue with Fits (e.g. link1, link2).

~~~~~~~~~~

The tire information panel inside my door says that my model's stock size is 175/65R15 84S size tires for both front and back tires.

I need all season tires that are balanced between traction and gas mileage, hopefully achieving a decent measure of both.

I want them to last much longer than the crap Honda stock tires.

Are all tires these days equally safe (e.g. from blow out hazards)?

I do not want to spend extra money on flashy looks.

~~~~~~~~~~

Given that, what size and brand of tire do you guys recommend?

The Honda service guy recommended Yokohama Avid ENVigor tires, which are sorta available in my Fit's stock size. (I say sorta, because the Size tab in the link above only has 175/65R15 84H and no 175/65R15 84S--what does that H versus S mean, and does it make any difference?)

I have seen people in this forum recommend Michelin. Their Pilot Sport A/S 3 line seems to achieve the balance I desire. Their Energy™ Saver A/S line is another possibility, tho by Michelin's self rating, it has only slightly better gas mileage at the cost of slightly worse handling and much worse wear life.

I have seen some people recommend buying larger than stock size tires (e.g. some of the comments in this recent discussion), which I am not sure about.

~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, where do you guys like to buy new tires from? The last discussion I found specifically on that topic is 2 years old.

Thanks for all feedback that you can offer.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by raytseng
2 different statements there.

You can assume the Manufacturer's recommended tire pressure is applicable to all tires of the same size. The tire manufacturer, and michelin in particular will say refer to the vehicle owner's manual.

But a different statement is some tires (even the OEM tires) may perform better or worse at different tire pressures; with you being a judge.
Did you doublecheck what pressure they are at right now?
Thanks for the feedback.

As per your suggestion, I checked the tire pressure of my new Michelin's after lunch today, after they had a couple of hours to cool.

One tire was 35 PSI, the other 3 were 33.5 PSI. I bleed them all out a little till they were all 32-32.5 PSI, to match Honda's recommended 32 PSI.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Let us know your impression of MPG with the new tires. The alignment may help too. I'm going to need new tires in another 15K or so (have 45K on a set of Energies) and the Pilots are less expensive.
Between my new Michelin tires and the alignment, MPG seems to be about the same. There certainly is no big change. My commute has enough variability in it that it is hard to tell subtle differences of 1-2 MPG.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gkitf16
I keep mine aired up to 45 psi.

You might want to keep an eye on that. The only time I ever blew a tire was when I was running air pressures around that high on a Fit. Sidewall blew out.

Cheers.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member

But when I took my 2013 Base Fit in for service today (oil change, engine and cabin air filters, tire rotation), the guys at my Honda dealership told me that they would not even bother rotating my tires because they are so worn down they need replacing ASAP.

That really surprised me, since my Fit has a little less than 27,000 miles, I drive it normally, check tire pressure regularly, and have done every scheduled service on time.

Researching this issue, I came across this website and discovered that many other people report the same issue with Fits (e.g. link1, link2).

~~~~~~~~~~

The tire information panel inside my door says that my model's stock size is 175/65R15 84S size tires for both front and back tires.

I need all season tires that are balanced between traction and gas mileage, hopefully achieving a decent measure of both.

~~~~~~~~~~

The Honda service guy recommended Yokohama Avid ENVigor tires, which are sorta available in my Fit's stock size. (I say sorta, because the Size tab in the link above only has 175/65R15 84H and no 175/65R15 84S--what does that H versus S mean, and does it make any difference?)

I have seen people in this forum recommend Michelin. Their Pilot Sport A/S 3 line seems to achieve the balance I desire. Their Energy™ Saver A/S line is another possibility, tho by Michelin's self rating, it has only slightly better gas mileage at the cost of slightly worse handling and much worse wear life.

I have seen some people recommend buying larger than stock size tires (e.g. some of the comments in this recent discussion), which I am not sure about.

~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, where do you guys like to buy new tires from? The last discussion I found specifically on that topic is 2 years old.

First, measure the tread depth of your tires yourself; if its 2/32nds you do need new tires and we use 4/32nds here. Consult tirerack.com for the tires available for the Fit and choose the ones which have the performance grade that fit your driving and pockebook. Manufacturers tend to install tires that cost the least and meet minimum requirements for cornering and tire life.
If the tire life is paramount choose ones with UTOG grades of 400 or more. If cornering is supreme choose ones with the lowest times in their tire tests. Then match to your budget.You can change from 175/65x15 to 185/60x15 or evem 195/55x15 tires.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:50 PM

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Please read thread #89 which I had listed some great tire brands for Honda Fit Sport (185×55×16)

Not too sure about 175×65×15???

Last edited by donghai; 12-24-2014 at 11:52 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-25-2014, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by donghai
Please read thread #89 which I had listed some great tire brands for Honda Fit Sport (185×55×16)

Not too sure about 175×65×15???
first, the H and S is merely the max speed rating, 118 mphS to 130mph H. either work fine on a Fit..
Because its readily available I recommend TireRack.com for information about what tire to buy. Their website has prices, performance and tread wear well described. Performance by lap times and comparison tables, tread wear by the UTOG federal ratings. They aren't exact but good indications: a 500 rating will last longer than 100, though lap times will come down as wear life decreases. Softer rubber wears quicker than harder. The performance tables are good indications of the combination of attributes measured in tirerack tests. And of course, reviews by buyers are interesting but not the holy grail.
yes, my experience with literally thousands of tires over 50 years doesn't always agree with tire ack, but the difference isn't as great enough to make an issue probably because I tend to drive agressively in corners. (We were the tirerack in the seventies)
In any case a quick conference with tire rack will give you the right information for choosing vale for cost..
as a side noteI tend totrust Consumer Reports for rading of snow tires. Their tests of easuring their ability to climb the same hill is the kind of test I like as an engineer. Opinions, including mine, just aren't good enough wiythout those measuremements. As usual, stop watches, yardsticks, and
are the true evaluations.
Good luck. Personally, for most customers Michelin are the choice where tread life is concerned even though Michelin thinks too highly of teir tires. When cost is heavily involved there are better choices.

Last edited by mahout; 12-25-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Hi,
This is my first post here after lurking as a guest for a month or so. I have been shopping for a honda fit for the past month and reading all the reviews etc. I see that tires are the weak spot on these cars, so if i get one and need tires i will definately use my favorite tire.. mastercraft avenger touring.

I have these tires on my mothers car, my wifes car and mine..they all look brand new after 50K miles..ride very soft and quiet.

I have not seen them reviewed or used on any website, probably because they arent on tire rack etc.

CooperMastercraft - Avenger Touring LSR (T Rated)

I am looking at a 2012 fit sport with 30K miles online right now.. i havent went to look at it yet but with those miles it probably has the original tires..so i am preparing myself for a set of tires and will probably go with the mastercrafts.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krismoriah
Hi,
This is my first post here after lurking as a guest for a month or so. I have been shopping for a honda fit for the past month and reading all the reviews etc. I see that tires are the weak spot on these cars, so if i get one and need tires i will definately use my favorite tire.. mastercraft avenger touring.

I have these tires on my mothers car, my wifes car and mine..they all look brand new after 50K miles..ride very soft and quiet.

I have not seen them reviewed or used on any website, probably because they arent on tire rack etc.

CooperMastercraft - Avenger Touring LSR (T Rated)

I am looking at a 2012 fit sport with 30K miles online right now.. i havent went to look at it yet but with those miles it probably has the original tires..so i am preparing myself for a set of tires and will probably go with the mastercrafts.
We've mounted a few sets for customers with backrunners (old third or fourth cars). The mastercraft tires for the Fit are 185/65x14 and 185/60x15, UTOG 640 to780. As we found, the treads are iron and warranted to 80k miles but nowhere near a performance tire and almost scary in the wet for corner-carving. If long life at a sedate pace you should enjoy them but I think there are several tires with say 400 to 500 tread wear indicators that are better buys. but its your money;as I remember they are pretty economical to buy. good luck.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
I like my Hankook Optimo's from Wallyworld. Not performance tires but warrantied for 70k. Cheap too

Edit: 185-60-15. Speedometer is still dead on with GPS. This is THE size to get