2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

150,000 NYC area miles later in my Fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:43 AM
150,000 NYC area miles later in my Fit

Just an update to my previous posts. To see my past posts on what I have replaced and done to the vehicle you can find my posting history under my account name. I have now reached the 150,000 miles milestone (purchased new on May 2011). I thought I would have to replace the starter, but it turned out fine. Its still starting. I will replace it when it completely dies. I just replaced my second windshield from a rock which hit it.

My tire of choice is the Yokohama Ascend. This tire is really good at durability, ride comfort and noise. In fact, it will last 2-3 times as long as the stock Dunlops. However, this tire is BAD in most everything else. Its not the greatest tire in snow or wet conditions. The ride becomes softer and less sporty more like the Toyota Corolla. The reason why I chose the Yokohama Ascend is because I use this vehicle for work purposes. Durability and ride comfort are what I really need. If the vehicle needs to be put into the shop for anything than thats down time which could be spent making money with the car. Also, as I ride around in the car if the ride is firm than I get tired by the end of the day. The softer ride is more welcome. The Yokohama Ascend is NOT for someone who desires a sporty ride or ice/snow/wet weather traction. When it rains or snows, I know the limitations of this tire and thus drive much slower. I allow more space between me and the car in front of me during these conditions. I caution anyone using the Ascend in wet or snow conditions. Slow down and allow more space. If you want a tire which is more durable than the Dunlops, but is still a bit sporty I would choose the General Altimax HP or the Yokohama Envigors. The Ascends are the KING of durability and ride comfort/noise. I had the Envigors and the Ascends are quieter.

I am now using the lifetime brake pads from Firestone. I already had the brake pads replaced once under warranty and it looks like I may be getting them replaced by them soon. Highly suggest Firestone lifetime pads for someone like myself who goes through them every 20k miles. Firestone might try to upsell you. When you go there for brakes, tell them you are just there for the $90 brake deal. Use the coupon off their website, dont get upsold to additional services. I have only ever serviced my car with full synthetic oil. I also drain and fill the automatic transmission at 7k miles. Case of DW1 off of Ebay for $85. Just need three bottles for one drain and fill. Do it in my driveway. If you dont drain and fill the tranny every so often the shifting will get rough.

If you are looking for a 7 to 10 year car. Lets say you are getting this for college. I have confidence that if you buy this car at age 18 than at age 25 you will still be driving it around without much worry about reliability issues. It will still drive very well by then. The Honda Fit/Jazz is the most reliable car at http://www.reliabilityindex.com/.

The only negative about the car is its not the fastest car out there especially with the automatic transmission. Zero to 60 in maybe 9-10 seconds. The Toyota Corolla or the Honda Civic are a bit faster. The biggest upside for me is this car is the easiest to get into tight parking spaces and to move through traffic. The only easier car is the Fiat 500. I rented a Fiat 500 and it was even smaller.

Last edited by SevereService; 08-23-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Great report SevereService! I'm glad your Fit is holding up so well. My typical driving is exactly the opposite of yours.....at least 90% interstate, so I'm expecting to get 200,000+ miles of trouble free service out of mine. Gotta love Hondas!

-Dustin

Old 08-24-2014, 02:45 PM
I can tell you exactly the issues you might have:

1) Tire Pressure Sensors- I have had three of these replaced. Lots of potholes here.

2) Windshield- On my third windshield because of rocks jumping up and breaking it.

3) Air Condition Fan Control- I have had two of these. At some point, it decided to operate in either full blast or none at all.

4) Alternator at 120,000 miles- There is a warning light on the dash which is shaped like a battery. Once this light goes on, immediately take it to the repair shop. This light means the alternator is no longer functioning properly and the electrical system is being powered by the battery.

5) Tires and brakes- I just feel the stock tires and brake pads last way too short. I have solved this problem with the Yokohamas. For sport and better wet/snow traction you have the Envigors. For more durability and ride comfort you have the Ascend. In regards to brakes, Firestone lifetime brake pads $99.

6) Loose shields underneath vehicle- From time to time I have heard weird noises. When I take it to the repair shop, I am told it a loose shield that needed tightening.

7) Auto Trans fluid- The manual says to replace fluid every 60,000 miles. This should be cut in half to 30,000 miles. I found at 30,000 miles my fluid was going from red to brown and the shifting became different. To fully replace you need to 4 times drain and fill. So I drain and fill once every 7000 miles. Easy procedure which can be done in the driveway. $85 for a case of fluid on Ebay.

8) Radio knob getting stuck- The stock radio buttons and knobs will eventually get stuck. Ive had a few minor issues in that regard.

9) Stone chips in the hood- Probably a good idea to get a stone protector or film for the hood.

Keep in mind I drive to several locations per day starting and stopping the vehicle. Urban traffic means several starts and stops.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
GREAT post thank you! Any advice on a dedicated winter tire/rim package? I was thinking of going that route with all the snow we sometimes get in upstate NY. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience in the FIT.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Spark plugs & Valves

Severe Service,
Since you've reached 150k miles, have you had the spark plugs replaced yet and valves adjusted? I know the plugs are a nightmare to access; who do u trust for that?

Old 08-25-2014, 04:25 AM
The Honda Fit is actually great in the snow and wet traction with the right tires. However, with the wrong tires or worn tires its downright dangerous. You should get yourself a tire tread depth gauge. Tires which are 6/32nds and under should not be used for the winter. As a general rule, you use the coin technique:

- Insert a backwards penny into the tire tread. If the tread touches or goes past the roof of the Lincoln Memorial on the penny it is not safe for winter use.

- Insert a backwards quarter into the tire tread. If the tread touches of goes past George Washingtons head, its not safe at all.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=51

According to TireRack tests, the best snow tire available for the base fit is the Michelin X-Ice. Just get a dedicated snow tire with steel wheels. Any snow tire is better than no snow tire.

In regards for spark plugs, I changed mine at 100,000 miles and it was done by the Honda dealership. My vehicle is a work vehicle and so any downtime means $$$ lost. While my vehicle is used for work, your vehicle probably isnt so I would suggest pushing the spark plug change interval to 125-150k. Its an expensive procedure and the longer you wait the better it will be to your wallet.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
mmmm ss, he would be risking poor performance (the plugs are designed for 125K or so) and he would also be pushing valve adjustment. regardless how the vehicle is driven you risk damaging the valves. you did have your valves adjusted, didn't you?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:36 PM
"
3) Air Condition Fan Control- I have had two of these. At some point, it decided to operate in either full blast or none at all. "

If you decided to fix this, what did it cost you? THe reason I got my fit was this happened in my jetta after 101 000 km / 3 years and VW wanted $3100 to deal with it.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pikaporeon
"
3) Air Condition Fan Control- I have had two of these. At some point, it decided to operate in either full blast or none at all. "

If you decided to fix this, what did it cost you? THe reason I got my fit was this happened in my jetta after 101 000 km / 3 years and VW wanted $3100 to deal with it.
The failed part is a resistor pack. It retails here for about $23.00US. The reason it fails though is the A/C blower motor draws too many amps. The fix to avoid it again is to replace the blower. It retails for about $250US. To have the dealer do the work is about $400. There are less expensive aftermarket parts but anecdotal accounts aren't good. Noisy blowers.

I don't know why VWs was so expensive, unless it was buried and required 20 hours labor to get to. The Fit's is an easy DIY if it goes. Easy access behind the glove box (it comes out with a couple screws).

Old 08-30-2014, 07:45 PM
The check engine light went out. The only other issue which developed recently was the auto shifting felt off and rough. I usually drain and fill the trans every 7500, but haven't done it for a while. I just did a 4 times drain and fill just now. Ill do it again every 30,000 miles (4 times drain and fill) versus every 7500 miles (1 time drain and fill).

When I drained the fluid, it looked almost brown.

I would say the weakest parts of the Fit are the following:

- Auto tranny - You certainly have to replace the fluid sooner than 60k. Cut that in half and do it at 30k.

- A/C switch - twice replaced

- Brakes - Seems like I am replacing pads more often than with the Toyota.

- Tires - You will not get 50,000 miles from any tire with the Fit.

- Windshield - Just seems prone to stones jumping up at it.

- TPMS sensors - replaced 3 I think