2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What size speakers fits a honda 2013 fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 04:09 PM
I think the size was too big for it to fit

Old 08-25-2014, 06:59 PM
The biggest part of getting better sound to a stock system is buying speakers with a higher signal to noise ratio. Stock speakers are around mid-80's db s/n ratio. after market speakers are in the low to mid 90db. What does this do? Well Its gives you more vol than stock. Vol @30 stock will sound like 35+ w/ aftermarket.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
The biggest part of getting better sound to a stock system is buying speakers with a higher signal to noise ratio. Stock speakers are around mid-80's db s/n ratio. after market speakers are in the low to mid 90db. What does this do? Well Its gives you more vol than stock. Vol @30 stock will sound like 35+ w/ aftermarket.
I don't really understand what that means but I have a sony xav172hd DVD player and just installed 4 of the alpine sps610's and they sound pretty good now, I don't want to go too far by getting subs but would buying an amp help? And if so how so? Thanks

Old 08-25-2014, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
I think you're confusing loudspeaker efficiency with the signal to noise ratio. They're quite different things, though both are measured in decibels.

Loudspeaker efficiency is measured in decibels per (electrical) watt, and seems to be what you're describing. All other things being equal, it's probably better to have more efficient speakers, particularly if absolute volume is your goal (i.e. you want the radio to play louder without undue distortion). You can accomplish similar things by having a more powerful amplifier with less efficient speakers; and at anything much less than full volume, it probably doesn't matter much at all because volume perception is not linear but rather a logarithmic/exponential phenomenon: what we perceive as a linear increase in loudness is an exponential increase in energy. (A decibel is likewise not a linear measurement; 20 dB is defined as ten times the power, which works out to 3 dB being about doubling the power. A decibel is also technically a ratio, which is why the signal to noise ratio is specified in decibels. When used for loudness, the "other half" of the ratio is defined to a fixed power level that is roughly the quietest sound that a human can hear under ideal conditions.)

Signal to noise ratio is not really a valid measurement for speakers, but rather for amplifiers and other active electronics. It's exactly what it sounds like—the difference between the stuff you want (the signal) and the background stuff you don't want (the noise). Speakers reproduce whatever signal or noise they are given, with more or less fidelity; but they don't have a noise floor per se, so there's no noise measurement to make. You could speak of distortion measurements, but not so much of signal to noise.

I would tend to rate the frequency response curve and distortion (or lack thereof) of a speaker as my main considerations, with efficiency decidedly second. I also don't tend to listen to music at especially loud volumes. Realistically, though, a Honda Fit is not going to be an ideal listening environment regardless; there's a lot of other noises, and glass surfaces and upholstery placed more or less arbitrarily (in an acoustic sense) preclude that.

If you really want efficiency above everything else, public address paging horn speakers have about the best efficiency of any I've seen commonly available. They'll also sound horrid for music because they don't reproduce bass or high treble.

All of which is rather a moot point; the original poster has apparently gotten new speakers installed to good effect.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueShell
I don't really understand what that means but I have a sony xav172hd DVD player and just installed 4 of the alpine sps610's and they sound pretty good now, I don't want to go too far by getting subs but would buying an amp help? And if so how so? Thanks
Hey, I'm surprised they got those in there. I tried to install some alpine s's in the rear doors awhile ago and the tweeters hit the inside of the door panel.

I was pretty pleased just adding an amp to the stock speakers for awhile and didn't really hear them distort, so you might want to check your eq settings on the headunit and make sure your bass isn't cranked too high or your loudness or Xplod bass or whatever Sony calls it, isn't on. I know you got the new speakers already, but if your eq settings are all messed up, you might not get great sound from the new speakers either.

And you are still asking about an amp. Since YOU are asking, what is it you are hoping to hear an amp will improve? Is there still something you wish was better now that you have the new speakers? An amp has many features when it comes to sound, but remember features are what something does and benefits are what something does for YOU.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by MrStix
Hey, I'm surprised they got those in there. I tried to install some alpine s's in the rear doors awhile ago and the tweeters hit the inside of the door panel.

I was pretty pleased just adding an amp to the stock speakers for awhile and didn't really hear them distort, so you might want to check your eq settings on the headunit and make sure your bass isn't cranked too high or your loudness or Xplod bass or whatever Sony calls it, isn't on. I know you got the new speakers already, but if your eq settings are all messed up, you might not get great sound from the new speakers either.

And you are still asking about an amp. Since YOU are asking, what is it you are hoping to hear an amp will improve? Is there still something you wish was better now that you have the new speakers? An amp has many features when it comes to sound, but remember features are what something does and benefits are what something does for YOU.
I guess I still hear slight distortion when I put the volume up too high. but bass isnt my goal (so I dont think I need a sub) Maybe I just need to miss around with the eq's a little more because when I turn up the music it's clear but the bass sounds too distorted. That's why I was wondering adding an amp which well fit under my seat (so it wont take up space) would help with that bass problem or overall make the sounds more clearer.

I don't know much about speakers, amps, and subs so sorry if I'm asking too many questions

Last edited by BlueShell; 08-26-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
I guess I still hear slight distortion when I put the volume up too high. but bass isnt my goal (so I dont think I need a sub) Maybe I just need to miss around with the eq's a little more because when I turn up the music it's clear but the bass sounds too distorted. That's why I was wondering adding an amp which well fit under my seat (so it wont take up space) would help with that bass problem or overall make the sounds more clearer.

I don't know much about speakers, amps, and subs so sorry if I'm asking too many questions
By default, the radio usually has a "Loudness" setting on that enhances the bass at lower volumes. Once you turn the radio up though, it could be too much and cause the speakers to distort. It may not be called loudness, it might be Xplod sound or something. Start by finding that and turning it off. Then crank up the volume and adjust the bass setting on the eq until the distortion goes away. You want to try to make adjustments at the loudest volume you will ever listen to. That way you know that you can always go up that volume and the sound will remain clean with no distortion.

Adding an amp will make a difference, but you don't want to start adding things before you've exhausted every adjustment you have right now. The amplifiers built into the radios now are pretty nice and there's no reason to switch to an external amp unless you just aren't getting what you want out of the radio. Because then you start yourself on a project that may never end. Adding amps, the associated electrical draw, the space they take up, etc. Take ALL advice with a REAL grain of salt, but I wouldn't try to give you bad advice on purpose. Continue experimenting with what you got and go from there. Everyone has to start somewhere. Post back if you have more questions.

Last edited by MrStix; 08-26-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Was typing on a touchpad and couldn't be as specific as I wanted to
Old 08-26-2014, 07:06 PM
By default, the radio usually has a "Loudness" setting on that enhances the bass at lower volumes. Once you turn the radio up though, it could be too much and cause the speakers to distort. It may not be called loudness, it might be Xplod sound or something. Start by finding that and turning it off. Then crank up the volume and adjust the bass setting on the eq until the distortion goes away. You want to try to make adjustments at the loudest volume you will ever listen to. That way you know that you can always go up that volume and the sound will remain clean with no distortion.

Adding an amp will make a difference, but you don't want to start adding things before you've exhausted every adjustment you have right now. The amplifiers built into the radios now are pretty nice and there's no reason to switch to an external amp unless you just aren't getting what you want out of the radio. Because then you start yourself on a project that may never end. Adding amps, the associated electrical draw, the space they take up, etc. Take ALL advice with a REAL grain of salt, but I wouldn't try to give you bad advice on purpose. Continue experimenting with what you got and go from there. Everyone has to start somewhere. Post back if you have more questions.
Youre definitely right, I adjusted my eq's and lowered my bass and it lacks in bass but it sounds much clearer. I was just wondering if I would to add an amp what would the difference be? Because doesn't the DVD headunit kind of works as an amp but weaker than getting a real amp?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
I changed my HU to a Pioneer X8550BT and the difference in sound is phenomenal. Once I get receive my speakers, I'll do a tutorial in this forum.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Youre definitely right, I adjusted my eq's and lowered my bass and it lacks in bass but it sounds much clearer. I was just wondering if I would to add an amp what would the difference be? Because doesn't the DVD headunit kind of works as an amp but weaker than getting a real amp?
I would think about it like this: Your head unit (HU) can only support a certain amount of bass. So it could sound really good and bassy at low volumes but once you go to a higher volume, the HU just can't support it and it will start to distort the speakers. So you can get that bass you want if you keep the volume low. For some reason, the HU does not have as much of a problem with the mids and highs.

If you add an amp, like a small 4 channel amp made specifically for the 4 speakers in the doors, you can provide the speakers with more clean power. This means more bass at higher volumes and clearer mids and highs as long as your HU puts out a clean signal and your speakers can take it.

Now here's the kicker. If you instead decide to keep the speakers powered with the HU and purchase a mono or stereo amplifier and use it on a sub (or get a powered sub with an amp built in) you will keep the sound you have now for the mids and highs and you will be adding a new speaker, specifically meant for reproducing bass. This helps in 2 ways: 1) you are keeping the bass away from the door speakers which can probably produce some good bass but are really meant for the mids and highs and 2) you will have a speaker who's entire job is to repoduce the bass frequencies. This will mean more defined bass at ALL volume levels and a much fuller sound.

Most people think that a subwoofer is just for those who like to "thump" and annoy others at traffic lights, but you would be surprised at what even a small powered sub would add to the music.

Its up to you, but if you are happy with how loud and clear the speakers get now, but want more bass, I would add a sub. If you want more clarity out of the speakers and want to see just how much bass they can put out, I would get a 4 channel amp for the door speakers. Or you could do both, lol. But that would start to get very expensive.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:39 AM
I wasn't planning ti get an sub because of the space. (I need space because I DJ and i cant have subs in the trunk) but the shop found this unique subs which you can take apart the side of the back trunk of your car and attach the sub on the side so it doesnt take up any space. So I was thinking getting a 5 channel amp, 4 for my speakers and 1 for my amp. As long as the amp can fit under my seat and the sub can be attached to the side without losing any space that'll be ideal. He said it's about 160 for the sub (not sure if i need 1 or 2) and 240 for the 5 channel amp. So im guessing adding labor it would cost about $500. Does anyone know what sub I'm talking about? It's made so you can pop off the side part of the trunk and add it on there.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:44 AM
I would think about it like this: Your head unit (HU) can only support a certain amount of bass. So it could sound really good and bassy at low volumes but once you go to a higher volume, the HU just can't support it and it will start to distort the speakers. So you can get that bass you want if you keep the volume low. For some reason, the HU does not have as much of a problem with the mids and highs.

If you add an amp, like a small 4 channel amp made specifically for the 4 speakers in the doors, you can provide the speakers with more clean power. This means more bass at higher volumes and clearer mids and highs as long as your HU puts out a clean signal and your speakers can take it.

Now here's the kicker. If you instead decide to keep the speakers powered with the HU and purchase a mono or stereo amplifier and use it on a sub (or get a powered sub with an amp built in) you will keep the sound you have now for the mids and highs and you will be adding a new speaker, specifically meant for reproducing bass. This helps in 2 ways: 1) you are keeping the bass away from the door speakers which can probably produce some good bass but are really meant for the mids and highs and 2) you will have a speaker who's entire job is to repoduce the bass frequencies. This will mean more defined bass at ALL volume levels and a much fuller sound.

Most people think that a subwoofer is just for those who like to "thump" and annoy others at traffic lights, but you would be surprised at what even a small powered sub would add to the music.

Its up to you, but if you are happy with how loud and clear the speakers get now, but want more bass, I would add a sub. If you want more clarity out of the speakers and want to see just how much bass they can put out, I would get a 4 channel amp for the door speakers. Or you could do both, lol. But that would start to get very expensive.
In order to get an sub or a powered sub I would need an amp either way right?

Old 08-28-2014, 12:42 PM
you will keep the sound you have now for the mids and highs and you will be adding a new speaker, specifically meant for reproducing bass.
I've alread added 4 alpine (80watts each) but are you referring to I would have to get a new speaker specifically meant for producing more bass??