2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

spark plug ejection

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
spark plug ejection

Hello fellow fit freaks! Has any new reports of having an issue with spark plug or plugs being ejected while driving? I have an 08 & a12 and the 12 had blown plug #3. We found the plug on the side of the highway but couldnot be reinstalled due the threads in the head being damaged. I have only wittnessed a plug ejecting like that 40 years ago on a lawmower i worked as a kid. Nothing in owners manual says to check spark plug torgue. These are long life plugs that should go 60k miles or more. They are also on the back of the engine block which is rediculous to begin with. If anyone has found loose plugs or an ejection problem let me know how this worked out.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
No it's not normal and yes the plugs should last over 100K. 3 or 4 accounts here of this happening. I don't know if that's more or less than average for cars in general, but it seems significant.

Hope yours is under warranty. Tell us how it works out.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
One fellow, in Ontario I believe, was going through this with Honda about a year ago. Honda basically told him to get lost and said the problem was caused by his "tampering" with the engine. There have been several other reports of the same thing here. I haven't heard of anyone getting any satisfaction out of Honda on the problem. Maybe you will have a better experience with them.

Last edited by n9cv; 08-31-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
A lot of V6 Accords (03-05) and some TLs have this problem.

Never heard for the Fit...

Old 09-03-2014, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bryanfit
Hello fellow fit freaks! Has any new reports of having an issue with spark plug or plugs being ejected while driving?
Replaced my plugs while checking valve clearances at around 90,000 miles. One plug not tight, but threaded all the way down, one offered slight resistance to loosen, the other 2 seemed normal. I do all work on my car and I never touched them. The only exception is the valve spring recall on my 2009. The dealer could have done something, but I don't know why he would have removed the plugs.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
mine were loose

Granted the dealership replaced the plugs with the packs along time ago when I fouled my MAF and got raped by them....(old thread here)

guess they never tightened them properly because I developed a fuel smell and a high fuel trims that I could not figure out until another dealership had my touch the packs with the engine running.....and I felt hard pulsing on 2 packs...turns out 2 were hand loose and the other was a little loose....

Old 09-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Just had #2 plug blow out on my 2011 with 68000 miles last Sunday (Aug 31st) on the way to a family gathering. Of the 4 plugs only one was tight and on the #3 I didn't even need a wrench to remove! This is with never having any maintenance from myself or a dealer on the plugs. Just got back on the road today after ordering a Time Sert kit. This brings into question Honda quality in my opinion. I understand components can a do fail, but loose plugs mean they weren't torqued properly in the first place.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
guys, thanks for the headsup!

Old 09-05-2014, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
anyone know the torque rating for the plugs?

not that it's a huge deal, but just wondering.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:18 PM
I found nothing official in my research, but looks like 13-18 ft/lbs. I torqued mine to 15ft/lbs with anti-sieze applied and will recheck them when I hit 100K.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lordturkeyhead
I found nothing official in my research, but looks like 13-18 ft/lbs. I torqued mine to 15ft/lbs with anti-sieze applied and will recheck them when I hit 100K.
thanks sounds about right! im not taking mine out, just re-torquing them down just in case.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
OK Fellow Fit Freaks- Here's the scoop. Just picked up my 2012 Fit sport after politely insisting that I have the entire repair done at no cost(under 60k miles/5 yrs.) They were originally going to attempt to try an insert to fix where the threads failed on plug 3, so I spoke with Corporate in California and they seemed rather mad that the dealership was asked to try that approach. I told them I've been working on gasoline engines for nearly 50 yrs. I never heard of ejecting a spark plug or even attempting to repair spark plug threads on that new of an engine while the head is still on the block! Within the next day my service writer said he didn't like the repair they suggested so he figured as long as they have to remove the head it would be better to replace the entire unit as an assembly. I told him maybe Honda would like to examine the head, get date codes/plant info etc. and be proactive by notifying customers to check the plug torque as Kenchan suggested. It would behoove all to look at this closely so no one has to be inconvenienced like this again

Old 09-08-2014, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
hahaha, yah, unless it's a rc car where you can flip the car (or engine) over i dont think you can retap without metal shavings falling into the cylinders.

i agree that honda should consider a recall on this.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
I do have to say one last thing. This may sound like a shameless plug but my Local Lorain County, Ohio Honda Dealer was very understanding and gave me faith again that Honda does stand by their products, even though an odd ball one like this occurred, They definitely did the right thing.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
sounds good. this brings back bad memories from early 1990's when my civic hatch had a plug go bad and i got stranded like 30miles from home. hahahaha. car was bought new too. honda issued a recall as there were others with the same problem.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:42 PM
my spark plug ejected too

Heard a loud noise took to a mechanic he said blew plug and threads for plug year is 2012

Old 02-22-2017, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to check the plugs in our '13 Fit Sport very soon. I'm not going to remove them, just test torque to 18 LB/FT, as the spark plug manufacturers seem to recommend 18 to 22 for plugs our size in an aluminum head and my Nissan has an 18 LB/FT specification for similar plugs. I'm not at all looking forward to the hardship associated with accessing them.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:57 PM
So I have an experience with a blown plug. I've a 2009 and the third plug blew out. I had it towed home and since then I have been having trouble getting it to run properly. Right now what happens is as soon as the engine gets up to normal operating temperature it kicks into limp mode and has very little power and acceleration. I've checked the gap on the new plug and I replaced the ignition pack. A friend scanned it and all he was able to pick up is misfire in cylinder three.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can get it running in all four cylinders again?

Old 02-23-2017, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nadrelluf
So I have an experience with a blown plug. I've a 2009 and the third plug blew out. I had it towed home and since then I have been having trouble getting it to run properly. Right now what happens is as soon as the engine gets up to normal operating temperature it kicks into limp mode and has very little power and acceleration. I've checked the gap on the new plug and I replaced the ignition pack. A friend scanned it and all he was able to pick up is misfire in cylinder three.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can get it running in all four cylinders again?
If you simply replaced the plug, that might be the problem because there might be too little thread left to hold the plug in and it probably is not in tight. The answer is to buy a rethread kit and rethread the spark plug hole. If this has been done, and the plug stays in tight, then swap off the #3 plug and coil pack to another cylinder and see if the problem moves. If so, then move the coil back and see if the problem switches back. If so, then your new coil pack is the culprit. If no, then the plug is.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Also had a Spark Plug blow

Sadly my 2011 Fit with just over 60K miles just blew its #2 plug. Fortunately the coil pack held the plug inside the engine but it took out about 80% of the head threads furthest from the cylinder. The day leading up to the blow I noticed a slightly rougher idle. I called Honda corporate and they said if I pay for a dealership inspection then corporate might offer a good will repair. Unfortunately with my circumstances it's faster if I heli-coil it this weekend rather than going with the wait and see approach with Honda Corporate. I'll be sure to take lots of pics in case Honda issues some kind of recall.

Edit: Also my Fit is not modified nor have the spark plugs been touched before.

Last edited by drkazknght; 03-17-2017 at 02:09 PM. Reason: More Info Added