2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Light thunk/clunk in front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Light thunk/clunk in front suspension

Just reinstalled my stock suspension and all seems fine except when driving slowish over anything from slightly uneven to speed bumps.

I don't hear anything metallic banging. Just a soft rubbery clunking. Sounds like rubber bushings are maybe a little loose... Don't hear anything unusual when on the highway though.

Everything is torqued up to factory spec as far as I can tell.

Can someone help me track this down? Thanks.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hummm... most endlinks rattle at slow speeds on uneven surfaces like you mentioned.
not sure if it makes a thunk noise, but give it a look.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:35 PM
I guess you could say it's sort of like a rattle, but it sounds a little more padded than that. I don't see any play in the end links while the car is sitting on the ground. I'll jack up the front end and see if I can tighten up the links.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Thats weird, my friends Fit does this also, he has been put back to stock from coil overs and he thought the sound was from the coil overs but the sound still remains, i looked over the car and i cant find anything amiss either. My best guess was the upper strut mount seat but it seems find and snug, its wierd because the car only has 42k miles nothing should be too worn out.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:19 PM
I had a look at the links and tightened them up a little over the torque spec just to be sure. Also gave it a shake while it was jacked up and everything seemed tight. Seems like the sound went away a little bit its not completely gone. To be honest I'm not sure if the sound was there before lowering though.

I was gunna look there as you suggested next but I i remember being very anal about torque specs when reinstalling my suspension. So I don't know if that could be it either.

I would say the sound is similar to the sound the gas makes in the tank when it is nearly full and you come to a sudden stop, except it is less "liquidy" and does not come back to splash again like the gas does. It's like rubber bushings are lightly knocking against each other....

Old 10-10-2014, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Stock Honda end links can be tight, but still clunk. The plastic inside develops clearance that you cannot see or feel, only hear.

The best way to troubleshoot is to actually disconnect the links. Tie them back, drive around, and see if the clunk is gone.

We replaced our '07 Fit's end links at 70K miles. I posted a DIY a few years ago...

Old 10-10-2014, 07:40 PM
where exactly is the plastic you're referring to? In the actual sway bar link? Cause I put brand new ones in, so I hope those aren't the cause.

Is it safe to drive around with them disconnected?

Old 10-10-2014, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Yosemite
where exactly is the plastic you're referring to? In the actual sway bar link? Cause I put brand new ones in, so I hope those aren't the cause.

Is it safe to drive around with them disconnected?
If you used OE sway bar links, there are four "dots" on each one. Those are the plastic sticking thru the end caps where they swivel.

here is my DIY:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...eplacment.html

You can see the OE blue "dots" in the last picture of Post #2.

++++++++++++++

Disconnecting the end links is only a diagnostic, don't leave them like that. But if you drive slowly (over the same bumps that provided the clunking) you will not be at risk.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:54 AM
Thanks for your help. It's better I think but not completely gone. I just put on a much quieter set of tires and it turns out the sound is still audible at higher speeds.

I'm wondering if it's the top strut mount that's not tight enough and the whole strut is wiggling a bit in the mount. This is what I think it sounds like. Unfortunately, I don't think I can tighten these anymore than they currently are. I almost started bending my Allen key while trying to crank at the top with my torque wrench.

I've considered an impact wrench but I'm worried it'll over torque instantly as most are rated around 200ftlb. Not to mention there isn't even enough room to get it under the windshield... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks