2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Fit LX/Sport Vs. 2009 Toyota Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Question 2009 Fit LX/Sport Vs. 2009 Toyota Matrix

Hi all,

Given my budget, I have decided that I am going to go with either a 2009 Fit LX (or Sport) or a 2009 Toyota Matrix (touring package). Granted, those cars are not really in the same category, but they are not that far off either. I need a hatchback. I have eliminated other contestants for the following reasons:

-Mazda3 = one of the worst cars for rust in the severe winter conditions we have here (Quebec, Canada)
-Subaru Impreza 5 doors = low MPG
-Suzuki SX4 = don't like the looks, plus it's not sold anymore here
-Kia Forte5 or Rio5 = interesting but would have to go for newer model, which means more $

Sooo, I have read a lot of reviews and specs and my heart is leaning a bit more towards the Fit, but still hesitating.

I would use this car 90% of the time to commute on city roads, but I plan to make a few road trips a year with it (with camping gear, mountain bikes, etc). I do use the highways quite often even in the area, where we can drive up to 120 km/h (75 mph).

Fit Pro's
-Super high versatility
-Cargo space = very useful to carry my music instruments, speaker cabinets, etc, especially since its low
-High fuel efficiency
-Love the looks and find the honda interior more modern that Toyo's.
-More fun to drive
-Great road visibility

Fit Con's
-I heard it's quite noisy
-More of a city car than highway
-Gets tossed around when windy
-A/C sometimes insufficient (I live in Canada though)
-Harder to find than Matrix

Matrix Pro's
-More comfortable interior for longer trips
-Less of a bumpy ride
-Less noisy
-More leg room at the back

Matrix Con's
-I don't like the look as much
-Underpowered base engine
-Old technology
-Rear and side visibility subpar because of small windows (design flaw IMHO)

I guess it kind of boils down to:
Fit = fun to drive, well thought out, awesome look
Matrix = nothing stands out, more conventional, but more comfortable

Finally, as far as the Fit goes, I am not sure between LX and Sport:
-I'd rather have the comfort of 15'' tires than 16''
-The front bumper is hotter on the Sport
-We do get a lot of snow here in the winter so I don't know if the body skirts would cause problems?
-The LX doesn't have tint, which is sorely needed
-The pizza rim 15'' design is hideous

What would you do?
Can the Fit con's be dampened?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by thrice23; 09-23-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
thrice: here's my two cents. I hate when people complain about people comparing cars "in different classes." That is BS. You can compare whatever you want: Fiat 500 to a Lincoln Continental if you want. It still is a legitimate conversation; so don't apologize. I own the 2009 Vibe and a 2007 Fit. I have driven the second generation Fit several times so am willing to comment here. Of the two cars you are contemplating, and considering the year you are talking about, I would chose the Matrix. Toyota is not without its recalls however. I think I have taken my Vibe in for 3 so far and one is still awaiting Toyota to devise a fix for the steering clock spring. Major reasons why I would chose the Matrix:
1. I simply would not buy a 2009 or 2010 Fit. Honda put more sound dampening insulation in the 2011 and up. If you can't buy a 2011-2013, I'd forget the Fit based on the road noise alone.
2. yes, there are A/C freeze up problems with the Fit on long trips, normally caused by insufficient pressure in the line.
3. The Matrix seats are great for long trips, and the interior volume is every bit as good as the Fit.
4. The Matrix and Vibe are the same car so there are MANY more opportunities to find a used one. In the case of the Vibe, even more so as novices dump their "Pontiac" due to the brand no longer being produced.
While I disagree with your comment about the rear seats providing more legroom in the Matrix, the Fit does have substantially better visibility for drivers; almost AMC Pacer like. The Matrix/Vibe has blind spots which are not good for new or inexperienced drivers. I also pick the Matrix because if you care about hauling bikes or the like, the Matrix/Vibe is more capable of receiving a hitch and hauling the extra load. The Fit is simply too small an engine for carrying extra weight.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member
I looked at the Matrix and couldn't get over the visibility issue, so it got crossed off quickly. I've driven the Fit as far north as Michigan and as far south as Houston, both in the summer. It is definitely noisy but it's tolerable and the steering doesn't wander at all, which helps. As for the A/C, the freezing up issue was cured by having it recharged. No leaks, so I wonder if it was just underfilled from the beginning.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 2010 Fit & when I was looking, the Matrix was also my second choice. Ended up with the Fit because of its versatility and interior capacity. I drove the Fit across the US from Colorado to DC & NY State a few months after I bought it--I did not find it overly noisy--depends on what car you are coming from- a luxury car- sure it is noisier. I had a Subaru Wagon and feel the cars were about the same noise wise. I am not a big A/C user and find the A/C is adequate for my needs--taking the edge off on hot days and if car has been sitting in the sun. Two of my coworkers bought used Matrix and are happy with them--neither have done any extensive traveling in them, though. Stylewise- the Fit looks better. I think both cars are good choices.
Are you looking at manual or automatic versions of the cars? I have the auto sport with paddle shifters and find the Fit can handle mountain roads very well.
I also never felt the Fit was being blown around in wind- even on the US interstates when I was traveling 80 mph between semis.

Last edited by sooznd; 09-24-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
Here my comments to the Fit con's

Fit Con's
-I heard it's quite noisy (quite bit noisy, I always have the radio ON so)
-More of a city car than highway (fun to drive even in a Highway, Cruise Control, etc)
-Gets tossed around when windy (You can fix that, going to 205-50-r16 or buying spacers 25mm)
-A/C sometimes insufficient (I live in Canada though) (Live in Montreal and no problems with that)
-Harder to find than Matrix (better resale value)

Luis
Honda Fit Sport 2013 - Vortex Blue Pearl

Old 09-24-2014, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Wow. All the montrealers emerge! I wouldn't consider the Subaru's MPG as that big of a minus. I live in the city and no matter what I do, I get about 20 MPG in my GD3. I've had my car checked and checked and had my O2 sensor checked and everything is fine. Short trips on a cold engine in the city does that so while I'm getting these numbers, I wish a had a Subie for the terrible snow clearing job that exists on the plateau where I live.

I don't find the noise to be bad. Sure it's a noisy engine and people look at me angrily and tell me to slow down when I'm basically going less than 50k/h.

My parents own a Matrix Xr. One thing the matrix does better is the paint. The paint job on the Matrix is light years better than the Fit and is way more durable. However, the Matrix drives like a big boat. It has tremendous body roll and the steering ratio is horrible. I was taking a 45 degree angle bend in a street and was annoyed because I had to turn the steering wheel hand over hand! You can basically turn the matrix wheel a good two inches left to right and go in a straight line. Feels like the steering on a uhaul. The suspension is mushy and the traction system is horrible in winter driving but you can turn it off. It basically beeps constantly.

If I where you, I'd definitely get the sport. It's only marginally more for a 2009 and looks much nicer. Also, you get cruise control and keyless entry and all the good stuff. The suspension of the Fit is much firmer so expect a very bumpy ride in the mars like craters of Montreal streets. The Fit is underpowered which doesn't make it a great highway car but I find it an amazing highway car for my uses. It does get slightly affected by windblast but nothing scary. The wind noise is not bad on my car and highway driving is quiet and pleasant although the engine revs are up there, I don't hear them too much (it doesn't dominate the cabin like some reviewers make it seem). The AC works fine in my Fit although on very hot days I do run it on max.

If you enjoy driving, definitely get the Fit. If you want to feel like the captain of a boat, get the matrix although the Matrix does have some qualities. One quality of the Matrix is the huge engine bay. There seems to be a foot of space between each component in there so that nice for the DIYer.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Hey! A warm thank you to all of you for your replies. So I am hearing mixed opinions...

First, just so you know, I am coming from a Corolla CE '05, and before that, Tercel '94. Never really looked at performance or the fun factor. But it weights more this time around. Those were my student cars...

I am definitely looking for MT.

About the noise issue, some complaint also on the Matrix, so I think I will have to test them and see for myself. As I sometimes car pool, it's going to be a bit annoying if it's too noisy. Covering it up with music will not always be an option...

I read some more reviews and what a lot of people are saying about the Fit is that it would need a 6th gear for highway cruising speeds...

What puzzles me is that if you search for "Best hatchbacks for 2009 / 2010", the Fit is always right there at the top, and the Matrix, waaay down... This kinda put me off.

Best 2009 Hatchbacks | U.S. News Best Cars

Best 2010 Hatchbacks | U.S. News Best Cars

I guess what I am looking for is the Fit's ingenuity, combined with a slightly bigger engine, better interior materials and insulation. That's about it! Say a Civic hatchback
I don't find a lot of the 2009 cars inspiring, but it really seems like the Fit was really thought out. And the Matrix.. well it's more like your average car, but dependable.

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2014, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
im in MTL too

So 09 LX 5speed is what I've been driving since it was purchased new.

Back then I compared it to the matrix and 3

all pros came out and the fit won.

saving on gas, depreciation, not many on the roads, cargo space, RIDE

its fun, ok for our winters, with good winter tires mind u - and for summer bump up to 205 50 16 and it'll change the car

I travel all over during the summer - new York, to niagra, many times to Toronto

with 2 kids - no problems

noisy - ya....but 2009 was made in japan, while newer fits were cheaper being made in china (look for china and rust issues)

I'm in west island, if ur interested

no issues with AC either

lx vs sport - I saved 2000$ and went with lx

enjoy the ride and would have gone sport if at the time I had more money

very low maintence and I'm close to 120kms now

Old 09-25-2014, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
thrice: I did not throw this out to you before only because it read as though gas mileage was you number one issue. However, when I saw your notes about rear leg room and carpooling, I thought I'd write this note. In addition to my Vibe and Fit, I own an Elantra Touring. It is the old Kia/Hyundai technology station wagon. The 2 liter engine gets 27 mpg in all suburban driving, and I have gotten as much as 37 on the highway, although 34 is more the norm. The car is very quiet, wonderfully appointed, and has enormous cargo room and front and rear seat leg room. The car (Hyundai Elantra Touring/I-30) was first introduced to the US in 2009 and ended in 2012 I believe. I hope that Hyundai brings it back and ditches the small hatchback currently for sale in the US. I just wanted to throw this out to you because you also wanted a stick shift. Manual HETs seem to be abundantly available when I do craigslist searches. Good luck with your search.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
I find the cabin to be quite quiet. My engine is louder now that I opened the exhaust valves more since I did the valve clearance adjustment. They should quiet down as they tighten over time. It used to be that I couldn't tell whether or not my engine was running sometimes because it was very quiet at idle. It is louder on the highway but nothing obnoxious.

If I drive on the highway with my windows up (and no music) the cabin is quiet enough that often my passengers will fall asleep. Plus, I have a GD3 (2007 model). From what I can gather, the sound deadening is even better on the 2009 model.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:26 PM
@BurntZ: I kinda crossed the Elantra touring off my list. I find it rather long and the body is kinda bland.

So, this weekend I went ahead and finally test drove a 2009 Fit DX-A and a 2009 Toyota Matrix (base 1.8L + touring package). Both were MT.

Here are my impressions for each:

Fit
-Clutch is surprisingly light
-The car is quite responsive and you can feel a more direct reaction when you hit the gas
-Brakes were poor (maintenance req. I imagine)
-Noisier than Corolla. Could even hear the wind. Driving at 75mph, I didn't find it overwhelming though. So not a deal breaker for me.
-Engine revs around 3500 @ 75mph, whereas Corolla reaches around 3000.
-I am unimpressed by the poor quality of interior materials. I am used to economy/compact cars, but this is probably the cheapest I have seen. the floor carpet is very thin, the plastics are hard. Even though the car has only 90k and shows good care, the shifter's leather had a hole, so did the carpet on the driver's side, near the heels. I wonder what will happen 10 years down the road...
-Gotta love the cargo area! But again, the bottom seem to be made of cheap cardboard. Will probably have to cover it with something else as I plan to carry heavy stuff sometimes
-Not as bumpy as I thought, not a deal breaker either
-Was able to reach 75mph on the highway, but I was under the impression that I was driving the engine to 125%, if you know what I mean. I understand the reviewers saying it would need a 6th speed. Is it common for smaller engine to rev higher?
-It basically felt like driving a go-kart, which was fun. With this car, you don't feel like there is a whole lot between you and the road. You see well all around, everything is firmer, you hear the engine more, etc.

Matrix
-Interior materials appear more robust, more padded and thicker (seats, floor carpet, plastics)
-Maybe I haven't adjusted the seat's height, but I felt the car's dashboard to be quite high and partly obstructing the front view
-The blind spots and the sides/back didn't really bother me
-Definitely felt like the captain. Haha! There is quite a bit of pitching, and the steering doesn't really have a direct response. You also don't feel as close to the road
-I found the acceleration to be comparable to the Fit. No problem getting on the highway
-Cargo area height is lower which is a bummer
-The driving experience felt quite similar to the Corolla's, which I am used to. I suppose this is the feeling that Toyota is going for.
-All models I have seen had paint chips on the hood... (those that didn't have the deflector)

About the interior quality, is this is subcompact thing? Because I don't know that car class much. I am questionning the durability.

And as for pricing... With equivalent equipment, a new '09 Matrix would have cost a few k$ more than a Fit. But after depreciation, it now costs more to buy that used Fit than the used Matrix. I guess that's because the used market is simply flooded with Matrix's ?

I am still hesitating... Would love the practicality of the Fit and Honda's driving. But a higher quality interior / slightly bigger engine or 6th speed wouldn't hurt.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
A friend of mine has a Toyota Matrix- - she's bought it used- it's an '03 and she has had it for 7 or 8 years. The car still looks good on the outside- although hubcaps are gone and she says pieces inside are falling off especially on the driver side door and heater controls - so not sure if it is poor interior quality of that particular year or if it is all years of Matrix.
My 1995 Subaru never had pieces falling off and I had that car until 2010
Time will tell, but sure hope my Honda Fit does fall apart inside either.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
good write up thrice. Regarding the Elantra Touring, it simply is the ugliest car built in awhile, hands down. However, I'd have 3 of them in my driveway if I could afford to get rid of my Fit and Vibe. The old style ET is better in almost every category I can think of, except reliability. While not a bad car, and I laugh at the almost always correct Consumer Reports when they decided to put it on their non recommended list for used cars, you will fit a whole lot more stuff in it than the Vibe or Fit, and it seats 4 or 5 VERY comfortably. If you are still down to the Matrix and '09 Fit, the high dash is noticeable. However, you do have a substantial rise in the seat available to you to compensate. That high dash is yet just another reason why the Vibe/Matrix is very survivable in almost any crash. It is a very safe car. I would definitely put it well above the Fit from accident photos I have seen on the internet over the years, to include rollovers. Regarding the brakes, you are correct; pull up on the emergency handle on the Fit and you are likely to find that the rear brakes aren't doing much of anything. That is why owners report ridiculously high miles on their Fit before ever doing the rear brakes. If you get one, have your mechanic adjust the shoes as far in as possible before the point of rubbing. FYI: Hyundai has the greatest brakes ever invented. They should be required on all cars. When you step on the brakes in the ET, you stop......quickly and confidently. Again, given the two choices, I'd pick the Matrix/Vibe since you have a LOT more available and that I think it is a better overall car. Not bulletproof in reliability like the Fit, and the brakes are Toyota worthless, but the Matrix/Vibe is just a better ride and better in most categories I can think of.
Susan: you are correct. I would not recommend the first generation Vibe/Matrix over the '09 Fit. The second generation ('2009-10) Vibe (2009-2013) Matrix is a much better car.

Last edited by BurntZ; 09-29-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
I had a 09 Matrix XRS

Originally Posted by thrice23
Hi all,

Given my budget, I have decided that I am going to go with either a 2009 Fit LX (or Sport) or a 2009 Toyota Matrix (touring package). Granted, those cars are not really in the same category, but they are not that far off either. I need a hatchback. I have eliminated other contestants for the following reasons:

-Mazda3 = one of the worst cars for rust in the severe winter conditions we have here (Quebec, Canada)
-Subaru Impreza 5 doors = low MPG
-Suzuki SX4 = don't like the looks, plus it's not sold anymore here
-Kia Forte5 or Rio5 = interesting but would have to go for newer model, which means more $

Sooo, I have read a lot of reviews and specs and my heart is leaning a bit more towards the Fit, but still hesitating.

I would use this car 90% of the time to commute on city roads, but I plan to make a few road trips a year with it (with camping gear, mountain bikes, etc). I do use the highways quite often even in the area, where we can drive up to 120 km/h (75 mph).

Fit Pro's
-Super high versatility
-Cargo space = very useful to carry my music instruments, speaker cabinets, etc, especially since its low
-High fuel efficiency
-Love the looks and find the honda interior more modern that Toyo's.
-More fun to drive
-Great road visibility

Fit Con's

Matrix Pro's
-More comfortable interior for longer trips
-Less of a bumpy ride
-Less noisy
-More leg room at the back

Matrix Con's
-I don't like the look as much
-Underpowered base engine
-Old technology
-Rear and side visibility subpar because of small windows (design flaw IMHO)

I guess it kind of boils down to:
Fit = fun to drive, well thought out, awesome look
Matrix = nothing stands out, more conventional, but more comfortable

Finally, as far as the Fit goes, I am not sure between LX and Sport:
-I'd rather have the comfort of 15'' tires than 16''
-The front bumper is hotter on the Sport
-We do get a lot of snow here in the winter so I don't know if the body skirts would cause problems?
-The LX doesn't have tint, which is sorely needed
-The pizza rim 15'' design is hideous

What would you do?

Thanks for your help!
As a former Matrix owner, here is my opinion. I had the 2.4L engine and it would haul the mail, much more powerful engine, but I did not like it's clutch. At certain loadings taking off from a dead stop I got clutch shake or judder. I bought my car new and Toyota would do nothing about it after complaining about from day 2 owning it. The 2.4 didn't get as good of MPG by a long shot. Not terrible, but not as good as the Fit.

I traded it off for a 2010 VW TDI Sportwagen and really love it. We still have our 2010 Fit Sport and love it too.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
I guess to each his own. I have a 2007 Fit and I much prefer the interior to my parents 2010 Matrix Xr. However, the Xr's upgraded engine is definitely badass but I don't think you are looking at that model. I must admit I wasn't a big fan of the 2009 Fit which is why I bought a 2007. The carpet is pretty cheesy in the Fit, that's the biggest fault it has. I disagree that the Matrix has a better ride quality.

Have you considered the Scion Xd? Or Xb? It is much more comparable to a Fit. A matrix is a compact whilst the Fit is a subcompact. I am amazed that you aren't phased by the Matrix's blind spots. I'm always afraid I'm gonna right over a trash can in reverse. Wait till winter comes; it'll make you appreciate the handling of the Fit.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Hi all,

During my test drives I hadn't really tried parking but today I thought it would be worthwhile to put this into the equation, as I live downtown and do parallel parking all the time.

I took a 2014 Matrix we have at work and hit the road again.

The visibility issue is pretty bad.
Ahead and front sides, it's all good. By adjusting the seat's height, no problem there. But now comes the bad news:

It's manageable, but disappointing. But no car is without its defects...

---

I've been doing a lot of thinking and the only thing that's making me hesitate with the Fit is:

But in the end, my heart still wants to go with the Fit, which is more original, practical and more fun to drive.

I think we have pretty much covered every angle. Feel free to comment again if you wish

Old 10-02-2014, 12:35 AM
                5 Year Member
                I think neither the matrix or the Fit are great for long trips. A more reclined seating positions is comfier for long trips, such as in a Civic for example. I've done many long trips in the Fit and adjusting the seat for comfort is tough but once you get it right, it's pretty good. The thing about the Fit is that there is a lot of lumbar support so you really have to scoot your bum as far back in the seat. If I sit with your butt midway I do get discomfort in my back.

With my Fit on cruise control I've done many highway trips at 120 Km/h. I rest my arm on the door sill and hold the wheel with my left hand since correcting is effortless. Not the case with the Matrix but I guess you get used to it.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:56 AM
                5 Year Member
                Hi all,

Given my budget, I have decided that I am going to go with either a 2009 Fit LX (or Sport) or a 2009 Toyota Matrix (touring package).

Fit Con's

Thanks for your help!
                I have a 2009 Sport Fit with manual. The Fit is noisy and gives a somewhat harsh ride. I changed to 205/50-16 Bridgestone Ecopia tires when the oem tires wore out. These softened the ride and lessened the noise level, but did worsen the handling making the rear twitchier, but overall it was a welcome change.

At 86,000 mi I changed to Koni shocks and they both improved the ride and the handling. Particularly, the OEM rears allowed the rear of the car to jump up on certain undulating roads. That ended with the rear Konis. Also, the twitchy rear is much better now. These shocks are not very expensive and no harder to install than the OEM shocks.

The 3rd thing I suggest is a valve lash adjustment. I meticulously adjusted mine to the minimum allowable clearance and the engine got somewhat quieter and ran somewhat better. I had a slight stumble sometimes in 2nd gear when increasing the throttle slowly that all but disappeared with the valve adjustment.

I have 95,000 miles and find the car more livable with these changes. It is not a quiet car, but can be driven for long distances at 70 mph without problem, but felt on the ragged edge at 80 mph.

With the manual, the car has enough power. With 4 people and luggage, you have to shift when climbing steep hills to 4th and sometimes 3rd, but the engine is willing. Only the few times I've had a full load, A/C, and trying to enter a highway on a steep upgrade, do I wish for more power, but generally around 4000 RPM there is enough torque for anything you normally would want to do.

My wife and I drove the car 6900 miles in 2 weeks and it was comfortable enough that we enjoyed the trip. I did not yet have the front Konis at that point. We averaged slightly over 39 mpg on that trip and I get around 36 mpg overall, using a calculator, not the built-in computer.

In Canada I would be concerned about 2 things. The heater is not fast to warm the car. When it is below 20 degrees F my heater is just starting to get the car warm when I am getting to my house 12 minutes from work. The thermostat regulates only to around 176 degrees and cannot maintain this temp with the engine idling, the fan on high, and the outside temperature being cold, and yes, I did put a new Honda thermostat in. The other is the tiny battery. It will always start the car, but it does not feel like it has much reserve at 10 degrees F, the coldest it gets where I live. I am very careful not to leave the radio or flashers on very long, particularly in cold weather.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:48 AM
                5 Year Member
                thrice: your comments mirror those of a person I recently help buy a 2009 Fit. She could not get past the visibility issue and ultimately went with the Fit over the Vibe/Matrix. I had her drive both of them since I own them. If visibility is the main issue, then the Fit is significantly better than most cars on the road. However, if distance driven and ride quality are important to you, don't be surprised if you have a bit of buyer's remorse. There is no doubt in my mind that if I were to take a long trip of more than 2 hours, that I would rather be sitting in the more comfortable seats of my Vibe with the better ride quality and insulation to keep me less fatigued by the end of any long trip. I'm sorry you can't get past the ugliness factor of the Elantra Touring because it has a better ride than both of these cars, is much quieter, and has excellent seat support and exceptional visibility for the driver. You certainly are buying an excellent car in the Fit. It does have its engineering quirks as do all cars in this price category, but at the end of the day, the Fit remains a run to drive roller skate and a local transporter, not a long road trip nor a carpooling machine.

Last edited by BurntZ; 10-14-2014 at 06:51 AM.
                Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 AM
                I've been doing a lot of thinking and the only thing that's making me hesitate with the Fit is:

But in the end, my heart still wants to go with the Fit, which is more original, practical and more fun to drive.

I think we have pretty much covered every angle. Feel free to comment again if you wish
                      Your observations on the price have merit, unfortunately for you. Used Fits do sell for relatively high prices, which is nice if you're selling but not so nice if you're buying. That's a good part of why I started out thinking I would get a used car (as I had in the past) and ended up getting a brand new one—it looked to me like the new one was likely to be cheaper in the long term, or at least not significantly more expensive.

You don't have to worry about the engine's speed on the highway in terms of the car's longevity. With reasonable care and maintenance, the engine will almost certainly outlast the car. (That's likely true for the Matrix as well.) The Fit is simply designed and set up to have the engine rev faster than many other cars, but it works out.

Interior materials aren't the greatest, but the important bits do seem to be sufficiently sturdy. The spare tire cover will bend and distort under heavy loads, but doesn't seem to break or really cause great problems. If it bugs you, you can always get a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" plywood and construct a sturdier one. I do agree that the "carpeting" in particular is straight out of the bargain barrel. Nevertheless, I do find my Fit to be perfectly adequate for long-distance travel...not plush or luxurious, but also not uncomfortable or punishing.