2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

DIY: Install Cup Holder LED's GE8

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
DIY: Install Cup Holder LED's GE8

***DISCLAIMER*** FIT FREAK NOR AM I NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MODIFICATIONS DONE TO YOUR CAR. THIS THREAD IS HERE ONLY TO ASSIST YOU IN YOUR INSTALLATION OF THE LED's in the Cup holder area.

With that out of the way... (OVERVIEW):

I dont know if Honda was lazy or they felt it wasnt necessary, but the thing that bothered me was i couldnt see a damn thing in the car at night. i had to feel around for stuff especially around the cup holder area. my scion tc and my dads TL all have Leds near the headliner that shine down and illuminate the center console. however i did not want to cut up the headliner because thats a big piece to replace in the case you mess up. so i chose to do it in the panel right above the cup holders. So like the TL and the tC, the LED's turn on when you turn the parking lights and head lights on, so i followed suite.

supplies:
1. two 3mm LEDs (color of your choice)
2. two 3mm LED holders
3. several feet of 18-22 gauge wire (whichever gauge u want to use)
4. wire strippers
5. power drill
6. 1/4" wire loom
7. one wire tap

1. take out the panel by using a SUPER stiff wire hook. place the hook under the panel and tug. found this to be the easiest. damn panel is hard to take off.

2. look at the back side of the panel and mark off where u want the LEDs to sit. for mine, i drilled the holes near the bottom because i do not want to see the LED holders or LED when driving the car, but its up to you. the way i did it was trace the panel onto a piece of cardboard and by using some measurements drilled the cardboard. i essentially made a mock piece to see if i liked the placement of the LED's. I will later update this DIY by posting up a template for you guys to print out and cut out if you like my placement.

Name:  IMG_4576.jpg
Views: 2472
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4579.jpg
Views: 2510
Size:  38.4 KB

3. this is what it essentially looks like for the wiring. just solder the + together and have one wire lead, same goes for the -. i used a connector in case i wanted to take the panel out i wouldnt have to cut the wire at the fuse box and re-tap.

Name:  IMG_4582.jpg
Views: 2491
Size:  53.4 KB

4. time to route the wires from under the dash. where you zip tie the wire loom is totally up to you. just make sure its away from moving parts (i.e the steering column, brake and gas pedal). now look at the fuse panel where all the connectors are. there are 3 BIG connectors, from top to bottom: blue, green, white. you want to tap into a wire thats in the blue top connector. the wire you want is GRAY and is i think the 7th from the left on the top row. you can see the tap i used. use your + wire to tap into this because it is a switched power (by the headlight/parking light switch). found this by using my multimeter for about 1 hour hahah.

Name:  IMG_4601.jpg
Views: 2475
Size:  66.9 KB

5. now that u tapped into this with the power wire, take your ground wire and chasis ground it somewhere.

6. and now check if they turn on with the headlight switch and voila:
(sorry for the blurry pic, all i had were my hands and holding my breath haha no tripod)

Name:  IMG_4602.jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4606.jpg
Views: 2478
Size:  22.6 KB

when your driving you cant see the LEDs directly. that was my main objective. its reflective light. oh and like my foot well lights? lol oh im just guessing here... FIRST 2009 Honda Fit with the new Pioneer Avic Z110BT (of course DIY'd also )

Name:  IMG_4605.jpg
Views: 2587
Size:  34.0 KB

Last edited by chubbykai; 08-31-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
sweet! thanks for the DIY, just one more thing to add to the "to do" list. +rep

Old 08-31-2009, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
haha thanks for the rep! if there are any questions feel free to ask! oh and i got the LED's and LED holders from Oznium.com great place, fast shipping, great customer service. ill try to get the template up tonight for you guys.

also: up and coming is a DIY for LEDs in your glovebox. been trying to find some switches so that when you open the glove box it turns on, not by a switch you have to flick nor is it on all the time like Fit_of_Rage's.

teaser:

off
Name:  IMG_4570.jpg
Views: 2481
Size:  57.0 KB

on
Name:  IMG_4573.jpg
Views: 2428
Size:  56.1 KB

Last edited by chubbykai; 08-31-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Looks great

Old 01-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by chubbykai
also: up and coming is a DIY for LEDs in your glovebox. been trying to find some switches so that when you open the glove box it turns on, not by a switch you have to flick nor is it on all the time like Fit_of_Rage's.
What about an old fashion mercury switch? Conducts when tilted, pretty damn cheap.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
its been awhile since ive been working on this. lots of work has been bogging down on my fit modding time. as you mentioned, i grabbed a couple switches: mercury, magnetic, and something else (forgot what it was). the only problem i encountered was how to run the wires through the lid. its sort of difficult to make it clean looking. i WILL update once i get the chance. being a sophomore at UCSD makes it kinda hard lol

Old 01-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Re: Your footwell lights. Are they also switched on with the parking/head lights? Or with the dome light?

Nice write up. Thanks!

Matt

Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
they only turn on when you open the doors... so yea haha with the dome light. however, instead of connecting it to the domelight circuit, you can just connect it to the parking/headlight circuit.

and youre welcome! lol

Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 PM
awesome... def goin on the to do list.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by chubbykai
they only turn on when you open the doors... so yea haha with the dome light. however, instead of connecting it to the domelight circuit, you can just connect it to the parking/headlight circuit.

and youre welcome! lol
Thanks for the reply! I'm still a bit confused. If I hook the footwell lights to the parking/headlight circuit, then they'll turn on/off with the headlights, not the door open/dome-light circuit.

Did you wire in some kind of switch or relay so they only open when the headlights are on AND the door is opened? I was thinking if I do the footwell LED, I'd want to respond just like the dome light and not be lit while driving.

I'm interested in footwell LEDs and LED underneath the cargo cover/shelf--both wired into their relative "convenience lighting" circuit. So when I open the doors, the footwell lights come on--i open the hatch, the cargo shelf lights come on.

Thanks again,

Matt

Old 01-08-2010, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kawracer
Thanks for the reply! I'm still a bit confused. If I hook the footwell lights to the parking/headlight circuit, then they'll turn on/off with the headlights, not the door open/dome-light circuit.

Did you wire in some kind of switch or relay so they only open when the headlights are on AND the door is opened? I was thinking if I do the footwell LED, I'd want to respond just like the dome light and not be lit while driving.

I'm interested in footwell LEDs and LED underneath the cargo cover/shelf--both wired into their relative "convenience lighting" circuit. So when I open the doors, the footwell lights come on--i open the hatch, the cargo shelf lights come on.

Thanks again,

Matt
If you hook it up to parking lights, then yes it'll be on while your headlights are on. If you want it to come on only with door open, then you would hook up the footwell lights to the domelight connector.

For cargo shelf illumination, just tap it into the trunk light wires and use something that's easy to disconnect so you can still pull out the cargo shelf when needed.

Name:  1withlabel.gif
Views: 2544
Size:  121.8 KB

Old 02-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Walmart LED Part

I liked your mod so much that I went down to my local Walmart and came up with my own variation. Thanks for the info on the grey wire.

Package contents.

Lit up on the table.

Lit up in the car.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Just did mine. Thanks for the DIY!! The wiring was very helpful.

Name:  P9040312.jpg
Views: 2452
Size:  18.1 KB

Name:  P9040311.jpg
Views: 2422
Size:  71.6 KB

Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 PM
DSC
Did mine. Great write up!

Old 02-19-2011, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
Looks awesome! I'll have to try this sometime sunday when I'm doing my hella and have my electrical tools out.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Awesome! good write up +rep

Old 06-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Has anyone tried doing cupholder lights by splicing into the interior illumination accessory? I'm thinking about trying this, but don't want to buy it and hack apart the wiring harness only to find its more difficult than expected to figure out what wire goes where. But if I do end up trying, I'll post pics of using that wiring harness.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the write up. Have you ever considered using one of these Add-a-fuse things - and just tapping into the parking light or head light fuse?

Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive

I was thinking of using one of those with a little terminal box (not sure if that is what you call it). To hook up multiple LEDs to one power source.

Name:  Terminalblockidea.png
Views: 2448
Size:  257.5 KB

Name:  fuseadd.jpg
Views: 2376
Size:  4.3 KB

Old 09-25-2011, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Here's a video I made - just to show people what this looks like (if they are still trying to decide on whether or not they want to do it).

2010 Honda Fit - Interior LEDs (footwells & cup holder area) - Oznium - YouTube

Old 09-30-2011, 05:50 PM
If anyone is interested, I have a handful of Pink/purple LED's and holders for sale. Lemme know, Also GREAT DIY !! Love this mod and need to hurry and get my fit til then I have to do more work to my brothers ha

Quick Reply: DIY: Install Cup Holder LED's GE8