2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

DIY: progress rear sway bar install

Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Just an update:

K Series Parts (the store that was linked to Club RSX) still has these but they are more expensive now, $164 with free shipping. I ordered one today.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
I just put one of these on my 2012 Fit Sport A/T last week and really like it.

The install was very easy and straightforward. I believe it took me just about as long to round up my tools and get the car jacked up as it did to do the actual install. I bought a 1/2" torque wrench from Harbor Frieght for $13 total on sale to torque the bolts to spec.

A couple of days before the install I took a winding back road home from work and pushed it a little in the corners to get a fresh feel for how the car handled stock and also how much body roll there was so that I would be able to make a good comparison. In some of the straights I also did some slalom style action sawing the wheel back and forth to get a feel for how the car rolled shifting weight from side to side and also how it changed direction quickly. For reference the only handling modification my car has is the switch to 205/50/R16 Kumho PA31 all season tires. These definitely give the car more grip compared to the stock tires, but do have kind of a mushy rolling over feeling under hard cornering and quick directional changes that I hope to alleviate soon with a switch to 17"x7" rims and matching tires.

After the install I did some of the same style driving and could tell an immediate difference. I would say that body roll under hard cornering and quick directional changes has been cut by at least 1/3 to 1/2. Also, I noticed that changing lanes quickly on the interstate is more abrubt and controllable. My wife even commented that she felt that she was getting thrown around less and getting less of a car sick feeling (she's pregnant) than she did before I installed the bar.

I would have to agree with the other guys that the Progress RSB is a great bang for the buck addition to the Fit especially if you like to do some occasional spirited driving.

-Dustin

Old 09-23-2014, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Best mod yet, The car seems to wander less on the highway and isn't as darty when changing lanes and turning. Now I just need to upgrade the spongy stock brakes.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:48 AM
thats it!

I'm getting one.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sultanofslide
Best mod yet, The car seems to wander less on the highway and isn't as darty when changing lanes and turning. Now I just need to upgrade the spongy stock brakes.
Yep, that's on my list also. I've thought about doing some kind of big brake upgrade, but will probably just end up getting some nice slotted rotors and sport pads and leave the stock calipers alone.

I also installed a set of SPC camber bolts a little while back and had the camber on the front dialed in to right at -1 degrees on both sides. That really seems to have helped with the rolling over feeling that the wider tires on the stock rims have and also makes the car turn in harder. I have especially noticed the difference when roads are wet. The front end bites more in turns instead of just pushing and sliding. The guys at the tire shop went on and on about the tires having excessive wear because of the camber, but I've put at least 10,000mi on the car since the install and I haven't had any problems.

-Dustin

Old 03-23-2015, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
Yep, that's on my list also. I've thought about doing some kind of big brake upgrade, but will probably just end up getting some nice slotted rotors and sport pads and leave the stock calipers alone.

I also installed a set of SPC camber bolts a little while back and had the camber on the front dialed in to right at -1 degrees on both sides. That really seems to have helped with the rolling over feeling that the wider tires on the stock rims have and also makes the car turn in harder. I have especially noticed the difference when roads are wet. The front end bites more in turns instead of just pushing and sliding. The guys at the tire shop went on and on about the tires having excessive wear because of the camber, but I've put at least 10,000mi on the car since the install and I haven't had any problems.

-Dustin
if 1º of camber is an issue I must have been doing something wrong with 3.5º on my old civic auto cross car since I was still getting 30k out of a set of tires.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sultanofslide
if 1º of camber is an issue I must have been doing something wrong with 3.5º on my old civic auto cross car since I was still getting 30k out of a set of tires.
That's funny. I got the feeling that I may have been the first customer to have installed aftermarket camber bolts and request for a specific amount of negative camber to be dialed in at this particular shop. I had to explain exactly what I wanted to at least 2 or 3 different people at the shop! Once they finally figured it out I was out of there in about 20 minutes though.

-Dustin

Old 10-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Just put a Progress rear antisway bar on my Christmas list! Thanks for the info!

Old 05-16-2016, 09:17 PM
this bar is in additiom to the stock rear bar on the sport? i dont really see the oem bar in any of your pictures

Old 05-17-2016, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Yazoo82
this bar is in additiom to the stock rear bar on the sport? i dont really see the oem bar in any of your pictures
Yes, that's correct. This bar bolts onto the bottom of the lower suspension arms and supplements/is in addition to the factory arm. The factory sway bar isn't a round bar like you're probably thinking. It's a stamped/rolled metal piece that looks more like a structural beam that goes between the suspension arms on each side. It's actually an integrated part of the rear suspension on the Sport and can't be removed.

-Dustin

Old 07-03-2016, 08:42 PM
anyone that has this bar installed really really low??? i had to take mine off cause it was actually hitting the bottom of my car.. just wondering if someone has a work around... I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet

Old 07-31-2016, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
its unbelievable how much of a difference this has made my car drive.. THANKs for the thread and pictures. it gave me confidence to finally install one!

Old 08-01-2016, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
Did the install last Saturday. Pretty easy, did not remove spring/shock as I was easily able to put the bolt in the middle on the passenger side.
No clearance issues with my hidden hitch...

The bar helps a lot on some type of curves/driving style. It's a nice addition and handling is definitely better. I wouldn't say it's a day/night difference, but definitely noticeable. Didn't see any downside of installing this sway bar.

IMO, the car should've come like this from the factory!

Oh, and for everyone asking themselves this question, bar was installed on a 2014 canadian Honda Fit Sport with a hidden hitch.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:42 AM
Looks like I will need to get one of these for my fit, everything I keep reading says that its all upside and no down side.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:27 AM
I will definitely be doing this! Darn it Photobucket, taking away all of the old photos!

Old 07-19-2017, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Frenzal
Did the install last Saturday. Pretty easy, did not remove spring/shock as I was easily able to put the bolt in the middle on the passenger side.
No clearance issues with my hidden hitch...

The bar helps a lot on some type of curves/driving style. It's a nice addition and handling is definitely better. I wouldn't say it's a day/night difference, but definitely noticeable. Didn't see any downside of installing this sway bar.

IMO, the car should've come like this from the factory!

Oh, and for everyone asking themselves this question, bar was installed on a 2014 canadian Honda Fit Sport with a hidden hitch.
Good to know you got it without removing springs!

Old 08-03-2018, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the diy

Old 09-23-2021, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Definitely doable without too much fiddling - I just put my car up on a ramp and was able to bolt everything in. Maybe there are some under-car differences between the Base and Sport, who knows. It has been a pleasant change in how well it corners, even around the neighborhood. Of course, I do remember that a stiffer car means... a stiffer car when going over speed bumps! 100% worth it though