2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Where to put jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Where to put jack stands?

I changed the oil in my wife's '10 Fit today. My usual procedure with my other cars is to jack the car up using the scissors jack and then place jack stands at the appropriate hard points. It was hard for me to identify any good points for the stands on the Fit, though.

On the driver's side, there was a frame rail about a foot inside, and behind the front reinforced jack point. There wasn't, however, a similar point on the passenger side, because of how the exhaust is routed.

I did notice a bracket-like structure with a hole in it at the back edge of the front wheel well that looks about right for a jack stand. Would this spot work? There's a corresponding piece on the passenger side.

Name:  jackstandpoint.jpg
Views: 10462
Size:  41.8 KB

This was my first time under the fit. I applaud the easy access to the drain plug and filter. However, the positioning of the oil fill cap is a bit of a joke.

Thanks!
Jim

Old 11-05-2011, 07:17 PM
I just use the front crossmember to jack up the front using a pneumatic jack.

I wouldn't use a scissor jack there, that's pretty unsafe. If you don't have a pneumatic jack go get one. IMO scissor jacks are named for their ability to cause severed limbs when they fail/fall, not how they operate.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm asking about where to position jack stands, and whether that point I'm picturing is a good spot for that.

I wasn't asking about how to jack the car up.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
The owners manual only calls for supporting the car on the spots behind the front tires on seams between the body and the floor. Ours has arrows to point at the location. I have jacked the car up in the center front and then put stands there for other procedures.

I would suggest ramps as the easiest/fastest/safest way to change the oil in a Fit. The car is fully supported and there is no chance of damaging anything by resting the car on stands.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Ramps sound like a good option, thanks.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
I had a set of metal ramps for 15+ years until I crushed them with my diesel Superduty. I then gambled on a set of the modern plastic ramps. I bought the Blitz Rhino ramps and have been shocked at how sturdy they are and the rubber pads keeps them from sliding.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Ramps, I've had them for about 10 years now, so handy for changing the oil. Get'em!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I just use the front crossmember to jack up the front using a pneumatic jack.

I wouldn't use a scissor jack there, that's pretty unsafe. If you don't have a pneumatic jack go get one. IMO scissor jacks are named for their ability to cause severed limbs when they fail/fall, not how they operate.
Do you mean a hydraulic jack? I haven't seen an air powered jack, besides those big bags off-roaders use to get un-stuck.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:51 PM
The Fit service manual shows a jack point in the center of the front on a cross member. My 25+ year old floor jack is too tall to clear the front of my wife's new Fit Sport. Has anyone found a floor jack long enough and low enough to reach this lifting point?

Last edited by WalterMitty; 12-14-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Kan't spel kan't tipe
Old 12-14-2011, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WalterMitty
The Fit service manual shows a jack point in the center of the front on a cross member. My 25+ year old floor jack is too tall to clear the front of my wife's new Fit Sport. Has anyone found a floor jack long enough and low enough to reach this lifting point?
Not gonna happen unless you're willing to drive it up on a couple of 2x4's. I had to drive mine onto some blocks to get the damn hydraulic jack under it in the front... Idk wtf Im gonna do when ever I drop it as much as I want to..

Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jamy
Not gonna happen unless you're willing to drive it up on a couple of 2x4's. I had to drive mine onto some blocks to get the damn hydraulic jack under it in the front... Idk wtf Im gonna do when ever I drop it as much as I want to..
I may have to engineer something from scratch, but I'll look around good first. If I find something I'll post it.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:35 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
OP, I have used the braket thing shown on your picture as jack points using a hydraulic jack to change tires, one corner at a time. No problem. But I have not used it for jack stands.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by WalterMitty
I may have to engineer something from scratch, but I'll look around good first. If I find something I'll post it.

Thanks for the reply.
Get a flat jack for lowered cars? I manage to get one under the bumper but I have a base, it's probably more of a PITA for a sport since the bumper hangs lower.

Ramps seem the best thing suggested ITT though, I would use them if I had them.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Get a flat jack for lowered cars? I manage to get one under the bumper but I have a base, it's probably more of a PITA for a sport since the bumper hangs lower.

Ramps seem the best thing suggested ITT though, I would use them if I had them.
I haven't used ramps in a long while for various reasons, usually because I am in the habit of rotating tires, inspecting and servicing brakes, or combining other tasks when I get the car off the floor that require one or more wheels to come off.

Like others I have jacked up one side and put blocks under a wheel to make clearance, but that's a pain in the neck itself.

I've found products like this:

ATD-7325 - 2-Ton Extra Low Profile Service Jack with Swift Lift™ - ATD Tools, Inc.

I just need to get dimensions on it to make sure it would fit before I order one. It looks pretty promising from the photo. I thought if somebody here had already broken the code I could save some effort.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:33 PM
^That jack looks perfect, probably would work better than the one i've been using as it looks longer. I might have to invest in that, thanks for posting.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:54 AM
^That jack looks perfect, probably would work better than the one i've been using as it looks longer. I might have to invest in that, thanks for posting.
If I can find one that's close, I figure I can "lower" the jack (like a lowered car, ha!) by chucking up the wheels and turning down some material. Most jacks I've owned have had some clearance between the sideplates and the floor.

That may cause some more dragging over uneven surfaces but hey, I'll be the first kid on my block with a slammed jack!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Is there an additional place to put a pump jack to raise the car so that one side of the car can be lowered onto jack stands? That'd make rotating tires a lot easier.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Here's an older thread with good pictures that show jack points on the Fit. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post907932

I have the old metal ramps that I still use for oil changes though the approach angle is a bit steep for these newer cars. So instead of buying newer ramps like the Rhino, I just use 8 ea. 2x4s about 1.5' long. 4 on each ramp stacked 2 wide snug against the ramp so there's still the staggered approach. By doing so, there's enough clearance created by the gradual ascent without the plastic bumper rubbing.

For tire rotation, I have 2 floor jacks and scissor jacks. I just use the jack points on the edges. But I wouldn't recommend the set up for crawling under the car... Poor man's garage here...

Other posters here have put in home auto lifts like the ones Costco carries in their catalog like this Danmar MaxJax. Costco - Dannmar MaxJax Must be nice...

Definitely would be the ultimate... then rent it out to tuners... Good luck!

Old 12-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Is there an additional place to put a pump jack to raise the car so that one side of the car can be lowered onto jack stands? That'd make rotating tires a lot easier.
Do the front first! If you do the back first the front is going to be pointing down and it's going to be even harder to get a pump jack under the car.

For the front side I use the front crossmember. Like has been discussed earlier you'll need a flat jack or something, a regular craftsman pump jack or whatever won't be long enough to reach and will be too tall to actually "pump", the handle will hit the bumper. Jack it up and put the jack stands under.

For the back side I use the jack location shown in that thread, under the spare tire area. Jack it up and put the stands under.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Back when air-cooled Volkwagen Bugs roamed the earth (ooo, that dates me) there was only one jacking point on each side of the car. To replace the rear tire you jacked up a little ways, to change the front you jacked up a little higher. The Center of Gravity (CG) was just in front of the rear wheels.

I've looked at the point where the CG on the Fit should be and it doesn't look like it's strong enough to lift by without damaging the car. That's why I'm pursuing a practical method to use the jack points identified by Honda.

Quick Reply: Where to put jack stands?